Thread: Worried about probability of cracked screen with dock

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOWDROP252 View Post
    Take a look at the Dock with the Screen removed and you will see 2 Tangs.
    Hi Snowdrop,

I haven`t been able to see one with the dock, only the tablet itself as that`s all that I have seen on display. I must say that the possibility of this causing (some) screens to crack is putting me off purchasing one. If it happened to me I think I would have a problem getting the retailer or Asus for that matter believing what happened in order to get a replacement!
    "Everyone in favour of Telekinesis ... raise my right hand"

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    10 times
    Hi Caldera, yes I know what you are worrying about. I bought mine on the first day of its release so had no idea of any problems. I am sure it is OK BUT in my opinion it is only cracking when "opening" the tablet. I am convinced it is flexing of the screen causing the problem. I haven't heard about my cracked screen repair from the Insurance Company yet. If I do get it back I won't be putting it in the Dock and CLOSING it up.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2279 times
    It would be useful to look at this thread & register a vote if you haven't already done so

Who has suffered early HARDWARE problems on their tf300 and/or dock?

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    It would be useful to look at this thread & register a vote if you haven't already done so

Who has suffered early HARDWARE problems on their tf300 and/or dock?
    Such a thread is relatively useless. It does NOT take into consideration the numerous variables in ones hidden vote. Did one experience hardware failure because one dropped the pad three floors down a set of stairs! Some one sat on it. Junior spilt his drink in the key board, etc.

Why are you so negative about this product?

I used to get flammed because of my comments on the prime. Of what value is a tablet without decent wi-fi? I got shot for writting that. Posters would reply I should be happy with my Prime as it was so good looking, and it was! Problem is mine was of no use to me without wi-fi.

The TF300T appears to be a more reliable tablet than the prime. I cannot comment on the 101 as I know very little about them, owners appear, in general, happy bunnies though.
    In speaking with various outlets and stores the 300 is experiencing much less returns than the Prime? The Prime is still on sale in many outlets even though the GPS issue can only be resolved by Asus issuing customers with some add on hardware. The wi-fi is still a major concern as its apperently not possible to overcome the hardware issue due to the all alloy casing of the prime. This has been addressed with the 700 by adding a plastic section at the top of the body.

These issues have been addressed with the 300 and I may say addressed in spades. The wi-fi strength and GPS on my tablet are outstanding. As they should be.

Is the 300 going to be perfect, no. What technology is though? If we want unbreakable glass we must accept and pay perhaps 10 grand for a sapphire glass. If we want a tablet body that is flex free and strong again get ready to pay mega cash for kevlar etc.

The 300 with dock is 499.00euro or 399.00 UK pounds. Some much inferior tablets cost that and more.

What are you looking for?

Best,

Ryland

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOWDROP252 View Post
    ryland................................up until a week ago I was one of the people, very much like yourself, that raised an eyebrow when people said they had done nothing to make their 300 glass crack......I was a serious doubter..................BUT NOW IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME.!!! Nothing touched, banged, dropped, sat on etc etc and "bingo" there was the crack. There is "something" causing the screens to crack...I suspect the TANG I mentioned and the fact that the 300 flexes.
    Hi, Thank you for the reply. I am certain you are genuine.

Two things; Is this going to be yet ANOTHER Asus design fault?

Second; Glass, any and all glass, can 'just break'. It is a known , documentd fact within the glass industry that glass can and does on times behave irrationally. I would expect some screens, like yours, to break. If this becomes common then we are back to square one with Asus.
    Yesterday I purchsed a new lap top. The lap top in question was well over 1400.00euro. I did as I always do and did my pre purchase home work and visited numerous outlets and talked with technicians and sales people.
    Some preferred the assus note book. I was very temted but gave Asus a break, excuse the pun, and went for another brand.

Like you I am nervous with my ownership of the Asus.Past experience was very VERY poor with the prime, I never want to repeat that experience again.

Again I hope your situation is resolved and pray its a one off for all our sakes?

Ryland
    Last edited by ryland; 07-15-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Caldera View Post
    I haven`t been able to see one with the dock, only the tablet itself as that`s all that I have seen on display.
    *Update*

I am just back from town & was in Currys again, this time they had the dock on display. I must have connected & disconnected it about a couple of dozen times & there was no problem. There didn`t seem to be much resistance when opening it up when docked as I had previously thought. I was overly rough with it & everything appeared to operate like it should.

The only thing I can think of that may have happened to some tablets like Snowdrop`s is that there was some sort of flaw in the glass itself ... these things can & do happen from time to time as we know!
    Last edited by Caldera; 07-15-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Typo
    "Everyone in favour of Telekinesis ... raise my right hand"

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    i too was worried with these reports on screen cracking, ...i got my tab with dock from US because the tf 300 is not launched here in india,...i always keep my tab docked as i couldnt get a case for the tab. The docked tab now sits in a nice small hard case i got locally..but everytime i open the tab, i am put through some tense seconds............hence, i put a screen saver and have ordered a moko case for my tab over amazon.....i hope i can sleep easy now.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Now that I know the dock is causing the screen cracks, should I get the dock bundle?

I read about the cracks people are getting from their docks. Should I still get the tf300 dock bundle? I have ordered a poetic hardback case and a caseen screen protector already.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2811 times
    The cracks in the screen from the dock are very few compared to the number of docks out there. I think it is just a very small handful of docks. I would get the dock in a heartbeat myself.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    The cracks in the screen from the dock are very few compared to the number of docks out there. I think it is just a very small handful of docks. I would get the dock in a heartbeat myself.
    shouldn't it happen with all docks because the cracks are caused by the leverage when opening/closing the tablet on the dock?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Ads