Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2093 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Digita View Post
    My TF300 performance is a tag below TF201 (Prime) but at least it does not have the well-known GPS and WiFi signals problems. I like its light weight an compact form for ease of carrying around. The GPS and map features have made it very useful. The docking keyboard gives a few hours extra on the juice but the touch pad can be annoying if you are not used to with controlling your thumbs from touching it. In terms of speed, it is slower than both TF300 an i-Pad 2. I put three of them side by side and carried out the same task. The results were pretty clear. As to construction quality, TF300 does not feel as solid as TF201, partly because it's made out of plastic (the casing) and the glass is not Gorilla type. And since the Transformers are made in China, quality control isn't good. So, you may have a lemon like some victims have reported. Overall, I'd give TF300 a 3 stars out of 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digita View Post
    Beside many negative aspects of TF300 that have been posted, I wish to add the followings:

1. The docking keyboard is poorly designed. The touchpad is very annoying as it's virtually useless AND only messes up your typing if and when your thumb(s) touches it accidently. There is no feature allowing the user to disable (temporarily) the touchpad..

2. The battery life (of the docking station) is much less than advertised. The fine-print disclaimmers have been designed by ASUS to give themselves a loophole on this.

3. The added weight of the keyboard/docking station makes it heavier than some laptops out there.

4. The cheap feel of TF300 plastic casing gives you an impression that it's made in China. But wait! It's really made in China! May be that explains why the machine is such a disaster.

One advice: DO NOT SPEND YOUR MONEY ON TF300 (or any Asus products for that matter. ASUS customer service sucks!).
    Clearly you have lowered your opinion since June, Digita. Perhaps your disappointment in the Jelly Bean update has coloured your views.
    In any case, please be assured that while freedom of opinion is welcomed here, we do try to help as much as possible. But we are not Asus.
    Last edited by janner43; 09-12-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    leeshor likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    2 times
    Well, thank you Janner43. I should have checked out this forum before buying the TF300.

I wonder if those people @ asus ever read or pay attention to any of complaints posted here. As far as I am concerned, it's an end game for asus.
    Last edited by Digita; 09-12-2012 at 10:55 PM.
    Silk likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    Well Digita you are entitled to your opinion but I think that you are wrong.

Before I bought my TF3oo I contacted ASUS because of the issues that the TF201 had. What impressed me was the honesty demonstrated by the person that I talked. He did not deny the issues and was very patient answering my questions. He was the one who first mentioned the TF300 amd explained the product's features.

I've owned my TF300 for just over 4 months and it works great. Spent 3 weeks in Britain and enjoyed may tablet with the dock. I am a fan of my tablet and ASUS.
    Swipe and firedude52 like this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cprtrain View Post
    Well Digita you are entitled to your opinion but I think that you are wrong.

Before I bought my TF3oo I contacted ASUS because of the issues that the TF201 had. What impressed me was the honesty demonstrated by the person that I talked. He did not deny the issues and was very patient answering my questions. He was the one who first mentioned the TF300 amd explained the product's features.

I've owned my TF300 for just over 4 months and it works great. Spent 3 weeks in Britain and enjoyed may tablet with the dock. I am a fan of my tablet and ASUS.
    I agree. I've been around computers since the early Commodore days. I've had them all. From desktop to towers to laptops to PDA's and now tablets. Now as far as the TF300? Its the only Asus product I've owned and had it a short time now and quite frankly am impressed and has been a great experience as well as diving into the world of Android OS from iOS. Like already stated Digita is most certainly entitled to in individual opinion and I'll share my thoughts on the comments. Keeping in mind you'll run across a few bad apples in any new product, no matter who made it or where..and not everyone will like everything.. That being said...

* The battery(s) life has actually exceeded my expectations. I can stay on the darn thing all day on a charge. We all have to sleep at some point lol so that's when mine gets charged
    * The cheap feel of TF300 plastic casing gives you an impression that it's made in China? Well I have so say it does not feel that way to me. It has a nice semi rugged feel an do not feel it's "cheap". In fact (DOH!) I've accidentally left mine sitting in my office chair twice now only to unknowingly plop my 6'4" 240 pound self down onto it. It survived both times without even so much as a scratch and this was wearing jeans with riveted pocket corners etc?
    * The issue of the touch pad is exceedingly easy to overcome and so easy I won't even mention it lol.
    * As far as the keyboard/docking weight issue? Yes I agree a little here, but a little ingenuity on my part solved that with little effort.

** overall I got what I paid for and even maybe a tad more for the $379 I paid (without dock of course)($118 for the dock). I've put it through the paces in a short time and it has performed well and either met or exceeded my expectations. I've not experienced any of the many "ill effects" mentioned thus far and if Kilroy follows anyone he follows me. He has to for me to sit my my tab twice now lol Just a personal note/opinion in that the biggest reason we see many issues is when the tweaking types get to work (me included, probably most lol). Anytime you start modifying anything from it's original state it'll wind up with counter measures/fixes needing to be done. Just the nature of the tech world. As far as Asus I've had no personal experience with them so cannot comment HOWEVER this forum has been the best in helping me make the jump from iOS to Android and initial issues and questions I had in the transition phase to the Asus. I don't need Asus for that anyway. These guys/gals here are fantastic! IMO one of the best product specific forums around with the most amount of help. I've never had to wait longer than 15 minutes for an answer/solution to ANY of my questions/issues. There is no perfect product out there unfortunately. Thus far I'm quite happy with my purchase and the product (TF300T now running JB 4.1.1) and I'm a tough old critter to please (in my book anyway), just ask my wife lol. Just my personal take and not meant to distract or condescend any others ......
    Last edited by firedude52; 10-04-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    Swipe, Toejamm and SirBarksALot like this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    3 times
    I've had my TF300 with dock for just under a week now, and overall I really like it. I was looking for a laptop replacement and with the exception of a couple of niggly issues its done just that. I love the connectivity options as it has enabled me (with an external HDD) to literally put my laptop to bed. There are a couple of problems with the latest Jelly Bean version that Asus do need to sort out however, the browsing experience can get pretty laggy after a while, and I know that Jelly Bean does not officially support it but viewing Flash videos on it is not nearly as smooth as my laptop. Also, there have been a couple of occasions where even on Performance mode the tablet has slowed down to a crawl, a cold boot sorted that out but its still rather annoying. Asus really need to improve their testing procedures to iron these problems out as I could see that for a less tech-savvy user it would seriously annoy them and get them to go iPad (Apples products may have serious flaws but they do a very good job of releasing products that appear to be fast and easy to use for the user).

Still, I think the TF300 is great for the price, I was thinking of paying the extra cash and going for a TF700 but I'm now very glad I didn't.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    I`ve had my 300 for about 3 weeks. Just love it. Battery seems sufficient at this point, easily going all day with a fair amount of use. Touch screen is very responsive. At the $366 i paid for it i feel its a great value over other tabs. The microSD slot was a key feature for me, I like the option of removeable storage.

Being from Canada, I`m anxiously awaiting google music to be available so I can say good riddance to apple/itunes once and for all. At that point my tablet experience will be complete.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Build quality. My volume button seems slightly loose, but not enough to come out. Debating if i should exchange it, but then i might have other problems, so may just keep it. My girlfriend's ipad's build quality is so much better. Wish android tablets had Apple's build quality. I'm not an Apple fan btw..

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    8 times
    Have a tf300 at work that I've been using since last August, like it so much that when I saw a good deal at Best Buy on Black Friday weekend I picked one up for home. Both are tablet and keyboard dock combos. Love the battery life, happy with the display, haven't had connectivity problems, JB 4.1 is working very nice for me. If I were going to find something to complain about on the 300 it would be the sound, but it wouldn't be a loud complaint.

I read these forums and see all the issues other customers have apparently had with this device and wonder how I happened to get two that don't have those problems.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    40 times
    Well I as well have had nothing short of an excellent experience with mine. For many who have no issues they are too busy enjoying them to post their success stories Those unfortunate one with issues we'll always hear more about naturally. As in ALL devices there will always be some with bad experiences due to QC, defects and other things. Doesn't matter the brand or manufacturer, it's law of physics You're gonna see a lot more posts with those who having issues versus us who are using them and doing well. Many times (not all by any means) the issues are user related and have experienced a few myself over time with different devices. That's the nice thing about this forum and support here. To me this forum beats all hands down for support by the mods and members. If it can't be "fixed here" the it's off to Asus.
    eejit and Rognwaldr like this.
    Posted with my Asus TF300T pad with Jelly Bean 4.2.1
    Working great and having a blast!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    I do wish the browsers worked better. Most of the time they are fine, but they do get laggy rather often. I definitely prefer the much more responsive browser experience on my desktop. However, to get a windows device in this form factor would cost me more than double what I paid ($300 tablet and dock, refurb from woot), so given that, I can live with it. If I really need it I can always splashtop.

Sound is also not great but I've yet to see a tablet or phone, or any laptop really, that has good sound. These devices are meant for headphones or other speakers. If you are trying to do critical listening with the speakers on a portable device you are doing it wrong, so it's not really a complaint specific to this device. For just watching a youtube or whatever, the sound is usable.

I love the screen. I'm sure the infinity is better, but looking at them side by side, and considering the price difference, it's not that much better. Dead trigger looks amazing on this thing. I would enjoy the extra brightness of the Super IPS+ (or whatever it's called), so that it could be used more easily outside, but again, not for twice the price.

The form factor is truly killer. Everyone that sees it is impressed, even the ipad owners. I really like how they made it actually work like a laptop, instead of just a tablet that happens to have a keyboard. The trackpad works great, keyboard shortcuts are mostly there, unlocks when you press a key, sleeps when you close it, typing is a breeze. I also prefer the widescreen shape over the 4:3 ipad.

Battery life: amazing. Don't even really have to think about the battery any more, unlike my old laptop. Went away from home for 10 days and never had an issue with power. Didn't even have to charge it every night.

On that note, while I was away I did store it in laptop mode, without a case. No problems there. (re: cracking screens)

The office software is usable at a basic level. Fire up splashtop to your desktop if you need more, but for just viewing or simple edits, it works fine.

Splashtop is awesome!

Backup software works great. Was assuming I would root this right away, at least to get titanium backup on there (I have always rooted my android phones) but once I saw they already had that feature, I held off. I'm sure eventually I will get bored and want to flash some roms on here but for now stock is as it should be - usable out of the box, no root required. (android phones are not always so lucky, hello bloatware)

Overall I'm very happy with it after a month and a half. Was very close to buying a windows device like the lenovo lynx but at this point I'm very glad I did not spend so much more, the transformer does exactly what I was looking for.
    Swipe likes this.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Ads