Thread: Boot problems

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Boot problems

I think I have asked this before but I'm not sure I understood what to do next, so would like to try again.

A few months ago, I started having problems with my TF300. When I turn the device on, it will boot only to the initial ASUS page. (The one that says "Inspiring Innovation Persistent Perfection.") After about 20 seconds, it will shut off and start the boot process again. This will continue until the battery runs down.

I can boot it into the title page of recovery (TWRP 3.0.2-0). But it won't boot any farther than that. And it will stay on that recovery page until I try to start it again, starting the original boot problem again. Apparently, it is trying to get into Fastboot because there is a message that says "Starting Fastboot USB download protocol." It just doesn't go any farther than that.

Tonight I plugged it in to my laptop. It appears that the computer is recognizing it, as there is an icon showing up in multimedia devices.

Would/should that indicate to me that the device isn't bricked?

And if it isn't bricked, what steps would I take to get the device working again?

Also, I read somewhere previously that when booting into recovery to never choose "Wipe Data" as that will brick the device. If I put a pin in to the hole on the side of the device (I think that is supposed to reset the device to factory settings), does that have the same effect as wiping the data?

I hate to ask these questions again. I bought a new iPad when I started having trouble, but I liked the Asus better than I like the iPad. So I'd like to get it working again.

Thank you for all your help.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    705 times
    As long as you can boot into fastboot, recovery or Android your tablet is not bricked. But it is not far from being a door stop either.
    Luckily for you I have a soft spot for people who buy new iPads and come back to the good ol' Transformer - attaboy!! - - so I'll walk yo through it.

First we got to determine what you got and where you are, mainly these crucial questions:
    Do you have adb and fastboot working on your PC (meaning you used it successfully before)?
    Can you boot into fastboot - that being the screen with the 3 icons before you go into recovery?
    If you can - do you get a positive result if you run the 'fastboot devices' command in a cmd window?
    When on the TWRP splash screen (blue curtain) do you have an adb connection to the tablet?
    You test this by checking what you see in Device Manager and/or running the 'adb devices' command in a cmd window.

If all of the above is greek to you we really have to start from scratch and your first chore is to read my Beginners Guide (link in signature) until you can make sense of it.
    Also, learn to use the Snipping tool in Windows and attach pics of your Device Manager window when the tablet is connected in fastboot mode and when it is on the TWRP screen.
    A picture of your cmd window with the commands and returns (or lack thereof) also would be very helpful.
    You can start composing your ebay sales ad for the iPad. I'm pretty sure we can get you up and running again. But it's going to take some effort on your part, so get to it!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for your writing back.

It will be a few days before I can work on it. Ordered a new power/data cord. But this gives me some hope that it's fixable.

I didn't download adb and fastboot when I flashed it before so doing that now. But I can get to the three penguin icons.

My guess is that the only thing I did right was unlock the bootloader.

I'll read the Beginner's Guide. Hopefully, I can understand it somewhat by the time the cord arrives.

Thank you.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    705 times
    The three Penguins are just a brand. You're running a _that kernel.
    I need to know if you can get to the screen with RCK, Android and Wipe Data.
    Boot holding the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time until you see that screen

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    705 times
    Excellent. The screen in your pic3 is what we are going to work with.
    Follow the instructions in my Beginners Guide to get fastboot working.
    Once that is done I am going to have you flash the Asus firmware in fastboot. That will destroy all data currently on the tablet, but it will also bring your tablet back to a known and working state - albeit an unusable one since the TF700 is so darn slow on stock!
    But from there it's just a few steps to get you back onto a custom rom and you can be sure that the tablet is flashed correctly.
    Plus, it will get you on the latest bootloader because, if I'm not entirely mistaken, I think your BL version is 10.6.1.14.8, isn't it? Can't read the script in pic3....

So. Once you have fastboot working follow the instructions here:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...48&postcount=8
    The link for the Asus firmware in that post is broken again and I am tired of them messing with it, so download the firmware from my private depository here: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634791660
    Contrary to the instructions in that post you have to unzip this file only once to get to the blob. Bonus feature - no charge
    All right, that should keep you busy for a while..
    Let me know how it's going.
    Last edited by droidbound; 01-24-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    334 times
    @notsure, you're in good hands with @DB's help, but I have two itches to scratch: first, on the 300 that paper-clip-sized hole is NOT a reset button. You have probably destroyed your microphone. Second, did you delete that last post by accident or what? Apparently it was useful.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Here they are. I hate that they are so large but can't seem to get them sized right.

Pic1.JPGPic2.JPGPic3.JPGPic4.JPG

There are two holes on the side of the Asus 300.

The one on the right side appears to be for the microphone. I'm quite sure the small one on the left side is a factory reset button. I haven't stuck anything in either one of them. I am really kinda afraid to do anything. That's why this is taking me so long. And when I wrote the first post, it appeared that the Asus was recognized by the computer. Tonight, I don't see anything that would make me think it is. And I've been having problems finding the sync utility.

I really don't know what I'm doing but hopefully I'll catch on. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    To report back on what I've done.

I finally got the Asus Sync Utility downloaded and installed on my PC. However, when I connected the device to the PC, the sync utility says No Device Found. Apparently I can't go any farther until I get this resolved. As far as I know, I haven't bricked it, but it seems it may be getting closer.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    705 times
    The sync utility will only see the device if the tablet is booted into Android, so that is no big surprise. You can uninstalll the program from your Windows machine again, it tends to get in the way sometimes. All you needed was the Asus device driver and that will stay installed even if you uninstall the program. Follow my guide to install fastboot/adb on your PC and let me know when you get stuck

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    334 times
    I stand corrected, the mic is on the top edge, that is a reset. Sorry to add to the confusion. The pic you posted that shows RCK, Android, and Wipe Data is the screen you want to stay on while attempting a fastboot connection; don't touch any buttons from there, just go to the PC command window once you have fastboot and adb installed. Sometimes people miss that part.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links