Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is it possible to pull data from a nandroid backup made on a me301t onto a tf300t?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    7 times

Is it possible to pull data from a nandroid backup made on a me301t onto a tf300t?

Hello everybody and good day.

Well, so here is my tale of woe.

My son had been using a me301t for better than a year and a half. mostly to watch youtube and play terraria. It was on custom rom (Omnirom Kitkat 4.4) with custom recovery (TWRP). All was good till he dropped it and broke the glass. I was able to make a full nandroid before restoring to stock and selling on flea bay for parts.

I acquired another me301t and was super excited that I was able to restore the nandroid backup as the terraria game had a lot of game data (I know I should have made a titanium backup). So, after a couple weeks the darn thing stopped responding to touch. Bad digitizer? Don't know but the seller took back and refunded my $. very cool.

OK, looking for replacement I spot a TF300T for a great deal. Less than I paid for the ME301T and comes with keyboard for extended battery life.

Heres the rub. I have attempted to install latest from Tim (KatKiss - Nougatella) and having trouble. wifi keeps dropping and driving me crazy. Tried Marshmello and same problem. I'm going to try again but here is the question. Can I extract the game data from the nandroid I made? Do I need to upgrade to the paid version of titanium to do it? I tried to restore the nandroid on the tf300t but it doesn't show on the list of files even though I know the file is there. Bummer.
    ASUS MeMO Pad Smart (10") ME301T
    Lollypop (5.1.1) , TWRP (2.8.7.2)

ASUS TF-101 16GB Transformer/Dock
    Lollypop (5.1.0 v22), TWRP (2.8.1.1)

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    329 times
    Sure you don't just want something like perpetual motion or something like that I can wrap my head around? Well, if you know exactly where terraria stores its data, it might be possible to extract that from a Nandroid and restore it to the same location on another machine. If you don't run into permission problems, do you know how to check those beforehand? I doubt it can be done in Windows, it's rather easy in Linux. Changing them as necessary may be another story. I take it the game does not have any sort of cloud sync built in? I'm a little unclear about which Nandroid you attempted to restore on the 300. Mine runs fine on Nougatellea. Are you sure you're looking in the right place for the Nandroid? TWRP can store them on internal or external SD. I assume you have TWRP?
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    700 times
    A couple of separate issues here:
    If you can't get Tim's roms to run decently something is off about how you go about it. So that's problem uno: Get the rom flashed properly, check all your ducks: bootloader, recovery, data formatted, then make sure you flash the rom with the correct gapps package (if you flash gapps).
    Second problem is to restore your nandroid.
    Now, to restore data from one tablet to a different one is asking for trouble already. Trying to restore a nandroid made on a OmniRom Kitkat system to a Katkiss Nougatella or MM one on different hardware is pretty...... cheeky.
    So I think you should try to set up the 300 as close to whatever you were running on the ME as possible. Rom and especially TWRP version should be very close or version-identical although device specific. You understand this, right? I am NOT saying flash ME software to the 300. I'm saying find the equivalent 300 software and flash that.

I guess that would be Katkiss-Kitkat plus whatever TWRP version goes along with it.
    Also make sure you have the same file system for /data. So if the nandroid was taken off a ext4 partition make sure the target is also ext4.
    Once you got all those ducks lined up you can try to restore only the /data portion of the nandroid. I have no idea if TF300 TWRP will be able to handle a ME TWRP nandroid, but it's worth a shot. The ME301 and TF300 are so close and I think partition layout is identical - it could work.
    If the restore works you can then start and figure out how to preserve game progress across version updates. Because if you want to go to Nougatella you will have to format data which means losing everything - no way around it.
    Good luck
    Last edited by droidbound; 11-28-2017 at 11:22 PM.
    janner43 likes this.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    329 times
    I'm almost positive that flashing a full Nandroid from a ME will just soft-brick a 300. One or two differences in hardware versions and you're toast. But if you could just flash the /data partition... Might work and might even preserve permissions. Something like this, well, it's a crap shoot. Make sure Fastboot is working beforehand so we have the option of reflashing the stock firmware and starting over.

Edit: sure you can't flash a Nandroid from an EXT4 partition to a f2fs one? The 300 will barely run on Nougatella with EXT4. Guess how I found that particular gem of wisdom?
    Last edited by Kevinthefixer; 11-29-2017 at 07:02 AM.
    janner43 likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    700 times
    I agree. Restoring a full nandroid would be a bad idea. But you can select to just restore selective partitions from a full nandroid. The default in a typical nandroid is to backup /system, /boot and /data. During restore you can select which partition to restore.
    That's the only way I know to get data out of a TWRP nandroid. You cannot extract files from it in Linux or any other software I know of..
    And again: I think it's a bad idea to restore a KitKat nandroid to a Nougat system. There's a reason you have to format the entire data partition when upgrading from KK to N
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    Sure you don't just want something like perpetual motion or something like that I can wrap my head around? That would be nice Well, if you know exactly where terraria stores its data, it might be possible to extract that from a Nandroid and restore it to the same location on another machine. If you don't run into permission problems, do you know how to check those beforehand? No, unfortunately not I doubt it can be done in Windows, it's rather easy in Linux. Changing them as necessary may be another story. I take it the game does not have any sort of cloud sync built in? It does but we unfortunately didn't utilize it. Will in futureI'm a little unclear about which Nandroid you attempted to restore on the 300. Mine runs fine on Nougatellea. Are you sure you're looking in the right place for the Nandroid? TWRP can store them on internal or external SD. I assume you have TWRP?yes, using TWRP. I'm sure looking in right place. I have it on the internal memory, as well as on microsd. Can see the file in file manager, but it doesn't show when I select 'restore'
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    A couple of separate issues here:
    If you can't get Tim's roms to run decently something is off about how you go about it. So that's problem uno: Get the rom flashed properly, check all your ducks: bootloader, recovery, data formatted, then make sure you flash the rom with the correct gapps package (if you flash gapps).I've got Nugat installed on the TF300T successfully and its working beautifully
    Second problem is to restore your nandroid.
    Now, to restore data from one tablet to a different one is asking for trouble already. Trying to restore a nandroid made on a OmniRom Kitkat system to a Katkiss Nougatella or MM one on different hardware is pretty...... cheeky.haha, but I knew you guys were up for the challenge
    So I think you should try to set up the 300 as close to whatever you were running on the ME as possible. Rom and especially TWRP version should be very close or version-identical although device specific. You understand this, right? I am NOT saying flash ME software to the 300. I'm saying find the equivalent 300 software and flash that. Hmmm

I guess that would be Katkiss-Kitkat plus whatever TWRP version goes along with it.
    Also make sure you have the same file system for /data. So if the nandroid was taken off a ext4 partition make sure the target is also ext4.understood
    Once you got all those ducks lined up you can try to restore only the /data portion of the nandroid. I have no idea if TF300 TWRP will be able to handle a ME TWRP nandroid, but it's worth a shot. The ME301 and TF300 are so close and I think partition layout is identical - it could work.
    If the restore works you can then start and figure out how to preserve game progress across version updates. Because if you want to go to Nougatella you will have to format data which means losing everything - no way around it.got it
    Good luck
    Thanks to both of you for stepping up. I at least have the TF300T running Nugat successfully (flashed several times but was having trouble with wifi. That problem solved). I'm really hopeful that somehow the game data that is in the nandroid backup can be teased out and installed on the TF300T.
    Last edited by barkeater; 11-30-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    7 times
    So here's the scoop.

I have adb working which is how I returned the tablet back to stock after a few unsuccessful attempts at flashing custom rom. I've since successfully installed nugat.

The TWRP file that I made of the broken ME301T back in October has the following path on my microsd card:

\TWRP\BACKUPS\015d41d46907f211\2017-10-30--18-13-38_omni_me301t-userdebug_5.1.1_LYZ28E_eng.men

when I first obtained the ME301T (March 2016), I used this site on xda to install custom rom by Scanno (OmniROM for ASUS MeMO Pad Smart (ME301T)):

https://forum.xda-developers.com/tra...e300t-t3112220

I guess I could try to install this rom on the TF-300T with associated gapps and twrp (2.8.5) and hope that I then will be able to "see" the recovery file. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by barkeater; 11-30-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    329 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    You cannot extract files from it in Linux or any other software I know of..
    And again: I think it's a bad idea to restore a KitKat nandroid to a Nougat system. There's a reason you have to format the entire data partition when upgrading from KK to N
    Yes, I can. I was pretty sure I'd done it before but couldn't remember when (that's happening more and more often now), so I just checked. Simply used "Engrampa", the archive manager included in Linux Mint Debian Edition which is my daily driver. Opens a data.f2fs.win file inside a Nandroid just as if it was a .zip. In Windows, we'd have to figure out what codec they used and rename the file accordingly. I agree entirely about flashing KK nandroids on top of Nougat.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    329 times
    Lost a post somewhere. What I said was that the backup that you want to restore needs to be in a folder with the current tablet's serial #. So you'd need to create that folder by shooting a Nandroid of your current working system, then copying the one you want to it. You should be able to install an older ROM with a newer TWRP, no need to retrograde that. Have they ported OmniRom to 300? I lost track.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    700 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    Yes, I can. I was pretty sure I'd done it before but couldn't remember when (that's happening more and more often now), so I just checked. Simply used "Engrampa", the archive manager included in Linux Mint Debian Edition which is my daily driver. Opens a data.f2fs.win file inside a Nandroid just as if it was a .zip. In Windows, we'd have to figure out what codec they used and rename the file accordingly.
    I'm impressed. But trying to find the relevant game data in that partition maybe another can of worms...

What I said was that the backup that you want to restore needs to be in a folder with the current tablet's serial #. So you'd need to create that folder by shooting a Nandroid of your current working system, then copying the one you want to it. You should be able to install an older ROM with a newer TWRP, no need to retrograde that. Have they ported OmniRom to 300? I lost track.
    Well lj ported the TF300 rom to the ME301. That's the link @barkeater posted earlier. But if he posted it in the TF300 section becuase both devices are practically identical except for some cheaper hardware on the 301 (I seem to remember something like that) or if he posted it there because there is no forum for the 301 - no idea. Glancing through the thread did not answer the question. I let barkeater do the leg work.

Well restoring a nandroid from one device to another is covered pretty nicely here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...48&postcount=7 (Read the whole thread for background). Different device but that should not matter. TWRP is TWRP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links