Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Can my device be fixed?

About a year ago, I updated my TF300T device to Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1). At the time, I thought it might fix some performance issues I was having.

However, the tablet is still slow, apps often stop responding, won't close, and the tablet occasionally won't do even some simple things like rotate the screen.

There is one app that says the tablet has a security issue because it's rooted. The SuperSU app says it's not rooted.

I'm wondering if anyone might be able to tell me how to fix it? Can I still root it? Would I be better off getting rid of it and trying something different?

Will appreciate any help I can get.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    692 times
    It sounds as if you did not properly prep the tablet for Katshmallow. Did you do a full format of /data before you flashed the new rom? I'm not talking about wiping, a full format takes close to an hour. On top of that, this tablet really benefits from a clean install of even the same rom every 6 months or so.
    So make sure you're recovery is up to date, run a full format in TWRP (which will nuke all your data, so do your backups), for the best performance convert /data to the f2fs file system, then reinstall the rom, gapps and SuperSU (if you want root). After the initial setup leave it alone for an hour so that all the background processes cn run their course. You will notice a real difference.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for writing back. I don't remember if I did a full format. But it has given me enough problems that it would probably be a good thing to try. At this point, I'm willing to try almost anything.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Before I start in trying to fix this again, since one app says it's rooted and SuperSU says it's not, should I try to root it before I format it? Or can I get by leaving it as it is now? Or should I try to root it?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    692 times
    Root is totally immaterial to this - just forget about it. You are about to format /data. Root lives on /system

Assuming that you have TWRP 2.8.7 or newer you can start at "optional but recommended" in this guide I wrote a while back: https://forum.xda-developers.com/tra...p-2-8-t3073471
    So get you ducks in a row by downloading the rom and gapps you want and load it on a microSD. You can add SuperSU to the pack but since you didn't really use it - why bother?
    Then just go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe > format Data > type yes > let it finish
    Follow the instructions under Step 4 to convert /data to f2fs
    Flash rom and gapps
    reboot
    Set up wifi and Google account, then leave it alone for at least an hour.
    Enjoy, I bet you will have a more enjoyable experience from here on out.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    This is really frustrating me. I'm having trouble remembering how to get started on this. When I reviewed my posts from last year, it appears that I may have been following directions for flashing a TF700 rather than a TF300. Could that be the reason I'm having so much trouble with it?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    692 times
    Nope, they are very much alike. The only difference is in the device specific software. You don't wanna flash a TWRP version meant for the 700 to the 300 or vice versa. The same for Rom and gapps. But the steps, the method are the same. Take it one step at a time and post if you have trouble.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links