Thread: TF300T bootloop after ROM flash, only TWRP accessible

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times

Exclamation TF300T bootloop after ROM flash, only TWRP accessible

My TF300T was running a CM11 nightly for months until I got a notification that CM12 was available.
    I downloaded the CM12 snapshot and flashed WITHOUT WIPING ANYTHING (but I did make a nandroid backup) because I was lazy and thought "it's just a CM update, no need to wipe". Well, I was wrong! The device got stuck in a bootloop (even though TWRP said the flash was "successful")! I figured that my recovery (TWRP 2.8.1.0) was too old to support flashing a CM12 rom. I tried restoring the nandroid backup (system+boot+data) but that failed and so did restoring just the [boot+system] or just the [boot]. I thought it would surely be fixed if I flashed CM11 again since my recovery was obviously adequate for that. So I wiped everything (except for the media) and flashed the latest CM11 snapshot. TWRP said the flash was "successful" but the device is still stuck in a bootloop! The ASUS logo appears (just like normal) then after a while the screen goes black for a second and then the ASUS logo reappears and that goes on for HOURS. Restoring the nandroid still doesn't work. I can get to fastboot (and subsequently the recovery) by pressing [power+volume down].
    I thought that the problem was that my recovery was old and therefore flashing CM11 would fix everything (something similar happened to my phone years ago and that was how I fixed it) but it seems I was mistaken! That means I now have NO IDEA what's wrong!

To recap:
    --TWRP 2.8.1.0
    --was running CM11
    --made a nandroid backup
    --flashed CM12 without wiping => successful
    --BOOTLOOP
    --nandroid restore FAILED
    --flashed CM11 again => successful
    --BOOTLOOP
    --nandroid restore FAILED

PS: I've had my Transformer for years and I really like it. It's so useful and convenient, I use it for so many things and it was very expensive too! I really need to fix it... I've been rooting devices and flashing ROMs for 4+ years now and I've always known what to do to fix them after researching the problem on Google. But this time I really don't know what to do... Any help would be greatly appreciated (you can't imagine how much).

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Assuming that you are on the latest bootloader I would recommend that you do a full format of /data and then reflash CM11.
    CM11 is KK, CM12 is Lollipop - lots of changes between the two...
    I am not that familiar with CM roms so I can't tell you what the requirements for CM12 are but I would always do a full format going from a KK rom to LP.
    Use TWRP's file manager to move everything not backed up to a microSD because the formatting will erase everything on internal.
    After the format - and it can take 90 minutes - reflash CM11 or restore your nandroid and then do your research on what's required to move to a LP rom.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm sorry for not replying for a month... I was busy with life in general and I just left my Transformer hooked to the charger (cause I can't even turn it off) and it's been like this all this time.

Anyway, I wiped all the data as you suggested, rebooted to TWRP and flashed the latest CM11 from my external SD. An animated loading bar appeared but remained empty for a while. Then it said the flash was successful I wiped Dalvik/Cache and rebooted the system. A blue loading bar quickly filled up and the device booted into CM11!

Oh my, thank you so much! For some reason I didn't think that a complete data wipe would make any difference because I thought that the media directory had nothing to do with the OS!
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you! You saved me kind stranger!
    droidbound likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links