Thread: Unable to install Cyanogenmod in TWRP, error executing updater binary

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    1 times

Unable to install Cyanogenmod in TWRP, error executing updater binary

I have an unlocked device with TWRP installed. This is what happens when I try to install Cyanogenmod.

Code:
    E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/tmp/cm-12.1-20150611-NIGHTLY-tf300t.zip'
    Error flashing zip '/tmp/cm-12.1-20150611-NIGHTLY-tf300t.zip'
    Updating partition details...
    E:Unable to mount '/system'
    E:Unable to mount '/cache'
    E:Unable to mount '/data'
    E:Unable to mount internal storage.
    I'm using TWRP v2.6.3.0 on the Asus Transformer TF300TG.

I'm trying to install cm-12.1-20150611-NIGHTLY-tf300t.zip, however I've also tried an older release. The result is the same.

My original OS boots fine.

If I try to execute the "updater" manually (in an attempt to get more verbose error messages) I get:

/tmp # ./updater
    unexpected number of arguments (1)

I'm assuming this means it is not meant to be executed directly.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by diracdeltafunction View Post
    I have an unlocked device with TWRP installed. This is what happens when I try to install Cyanogenmod.

Code:
    E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/tmp/cm-12.1-20150611-NIGHTLY-tf300t.zip'
    Error flashing zip '/tmp/cm-12.1-20150611-NIGHTLY-tf300t.zip'
    Updating partition details...
    E:Unable to mount '/system'
    E:Unable to mount '/cache'
    E:Unable to mount internal storage.
    I'm using TWRP v2.6.3.0 on the Asus Transformer TF300TG.

I'm trying to install cm-12.1-20150611-NIGHTLY-tf300t.zip, however I've also tried an older release. The result is the same.

My original OS boots fine.

If I try to execute the "updater" manually (in an attempt to get more verbose error messages) I get:

/tmp # ./updater
    unexpected number of arguments (1)

I'm assuming this means it is not meant to be executed directly.
    I think you need to read up some more on the procedure here. [GUIDE] How to Root/Install ROMs on the TF300. Jelly Bean KitKat and Lollipop ROMs

You are likely not running the correct TWRP version or it didn't install correctly. Read all the instructions on installing twrp 2.8.x and also how to flash a rom including what to wipe.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    I think you need to read up some more on the procedure here. [GUIDE] How to Root/Install ROMs on the TF300. Jelly Bean KitKat and Lollipop ROMs

You are likely not running the correct TWRP version or it didn't install correctly. Read all the instructions on installing twrp 2.8.x and also how to flash a rom including what to wipe.
    I need more help.

I now have twrp_tf300t_kang_2.8.6.5.img and I still get the same error. I.e. that it cannot mount various filesystems it needs. I get this problem at the backup step in [GUIDE] How to Root/Install ROMs on the TF300. Jelly Bean KitKat and Lollipop ROMs

The most disturbing message is that:

E:Primary block device '/dev/block/mmcblk0p8' for mount point '/data' is not present!

This is what I have:

Code:
    /dev/block # ls
    loop0
    loop1
    loop2
    loop3
    loop4
    loop5
    loop6
    loop7
    mmcblk0
    mmcblk0boot0
    mmcblk0boot1
    platform
    /dev/block # fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 31.7 GB, 31784435712 bytes
    4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 969984 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0 doesn't contain a valid partition table

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    1 times
    Tried twrp_tf300t_kang_2.8.5.0.img instead, and for no apparent reason, it works now. At least the backup step.

Edit: The new OS installed ok this time, which is not really any surprise given that it can actually mount the filesystems it needs.

If I were to guess, I would guess that the kernel configuration is not done correctly for the other TWRP images.
    Last edited by diracdeltafunction; 06-12-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Ok. If you don't mind wiping data partitions you can try some troubleshooting.

Under the wipe options panel in TWRP first try the swipe switch for factory reset. This will just wipe the main partitions. It's not likely to work so we can try more drastic measures.

Perhaps you want to wait until morning in North America for this so I can get a second opinion. Before you try the next step.

What I think you will need to do is use twrp to do a complete data format which will wipe and reformat all the data blocks. That error message seems to indicate a bad block. Since this completely wipes everything, I'm hesitant to let you try it right away.

The reason I want a second opinion is because there may be a terminal command that can accomplish what we want without wiping anything. I don't have any transformers anymore so I can't say for sure but we do have some experts here.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    Ok. If you don't mind wiping data partitions you can try some troubleshooting.

Under the wipe options panel in TWRP first try the swipe switch for factory reset. This will just wipe the main partitions. It's not likely to work so we can try more drastic measures.

Perhaps you want to wait until morning in North America for this so I can get a second opinion. Before you try the next step.

What I think you will need to do is use twrp to do a complete data format which will wipe and reformat all the data blocks. That error message seems to indicate a bad block. Since this completely wipes everything, I'm hesitant to let you try it right away.

The reason I want a second opinion is because there may be a terminal command that can accomplish what we want without wiping anything. I don't have any transformers anymore so I can't say for sure but we do have some experts here.
    Thanks for your advice. I don't mind overwriting any and all filesystems that may exist on this device. However, at the moment it seems to have worked. It is presently "Optimizing" the "apps".

I don't agree that the error message indicates a bad block though. A bad block is typically associated with at least one (but usually several) "IO error" message or messages in dmesg. I did dmesg |grep error (and fail, warn, critical, fatal, for typical keywords) when I got a shell from adb shell. I have no such issues.

If a block device doesn't show up at at all and there is no error it is typically an indication of simply having omitted a kernel CONFIG option in Linux (or having chosen the wrong one).

Since I'm not an experienced Android user I'm speaking primarily from GNU/Linux experience, which I have plenty of.
    Gtanner00 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    1 times

Extremely poor performance with video playback, Cyanogenmod

Device: TF300TG

Cyanogenmod 12.1
    Android: 5.1.1

The built-in browser cannot play Youtube video at all. It shows a black screen. As usual, there is no information displayed to the user as to what is going on, nor is there any warning, or error.

Firefox can play video on Youtube. However, the performance is utterly horrible. 720p video is played back at I dare say maybe one or two FPS, and the whole system is slowed to a crawl.

Is the TF300TG able to play 720p video? What do I need to do to be able to watch a simple Youtube video on this device?

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    You may want to try Dolphin Browser or Puffin. Are you certain you have a solid decent speed WiFi?

There is no logical reason why you can't play 720 YouTube smoothly.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    You are using a custom ROM on a new version of Android and that can cause any amount of issues. Additionally, your device is the TG (ie cellular & wifi device) which is not well supported by developers.

Try using the YouTube app. Android is app centric, not browser centric.

Please restrict all your posts on your experimentation in this one thread. Thank you.
    (The issues are likely to be intertwined.)

(Threads merged, moved to Development)
    leeshor likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Oh yes. About the YouTube. Did you install a gapps package? You need at minimum one with the play store. You will only be able to play YouTube videos in Chrome if you have the YouTube app since they hook together.

______

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links