Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    483 times

[GUIDE] How to backup and restore apps when making a clean ROM flash

How to backup/restore apps and make a clean ROM flash.
    So, you’ve successfully installed a custom recovery. Do you want to have a nice clean tablet to experience the new ROM on but still have access to all of all your apps, files, and settings?

Why clean flash?
    Basically clean flashing will accomplish a few things.
    1. It will reformat the sdcard/data portion of your memory which will make your memory faster to access. This means that your tablet will lag much less when installing and updating apps. A clean flash will not format (read: wipe) your data/media partition. This is where all of your personal files, pictures, music, downloads, and any other information not associated with an app will be found. You can however do what is called a “Format Data” if you want, which will completely reformat the entire memory of the device. I will get to more about that later
    2. A clean flash is especially important if you are switching ROMS, as some of the files and seetings in one ROM will not necessarily be compatible in the other. This can cause many issues to arise when the data from two ROMS mixes together. It is definitely necessary to clean flash when installing an AOSP based ROM (eg. CyanogenMod)
    3. A clean Flash will clear more storage space on your tablet. There will be many temporary files that have built up over time that you do not need which will be deleted from your system and feeing up space.

Back it all up.

In order to restore data to your new ROM, we must back it up first. Remember “A file not backed up is a file not yet lost” Lets start with the basics

We are going to use Titanium Backup in order to back up our apps and settings for us. Titanium Backup is a powerful tool and is compatible with all android ROMS. Of course you need to be rooted, so we will tackle that first.

• Download the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.91.zip SuperSU Download, copy it to your downloads folder on the tablet and boot into TWRP recovery.
    • Select the Install button and navigate to the file in your downloads foler. Tap it and “swipe to confirm flash” When the process is done you can Reboot System. You are now rooted on a stock ROM! Check your app drawer for an app titled SUPER SU to confirm you have root.

Install the free app Titanium Backup https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...TitaniumBackup and launch it for the first time. It will ask for superuser permission (this is root access)

Now when you open the app there will be a little square with a checkmark on it in the right hand corner. Tap on it.
    Screenshot_2014-01-30-14-14-02.jpg

Now tap on the function that says “Backup all user apps”
    Screenshot_2014-01-30-14-14-19.jpg

Now tap the green check mark to run the process.
    Screenshot_2014-01-30-14-14-25.jpg

Now you have backups made for all of your installed apps. They will be located in a folder called TitaniumBackup if you would like to make a copy for safekeeping. These files will not be wiped and Titanium Backup when re installed from the play store, will recognize the backups as long as they are in this folder.

Wipe
    When everything is backed up and you have a copy of the ROM zip on your tablet reboot into recovery and choose the “Wipe” button. Swipe the blue bar to “Factory Reset” (remember never do a factory reset inside the ROM or the boot loader. Only use the recovery for wiping or formatting data) Once this is done you can proceed to flashing your ROM.

​Restore
    Now when you want to restore these apps, simply install titanium backup again, enter the “batch actions list” and tap “Restore all apps with data” You will need to manually approve each installation, but the app will do the rest.

I highly recommend the pro version of Titanium Backup as it speeds up the restore process quite a bit. It also allows for restoring apps from nandroid backups made in recovery.
    Last edited by Gtanner00; 01-30-2014 at 07:36 PM.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    483 times
    Reserved

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    First post ever:
    -followed the guide, after tf300 root and custom rom guide, but got stuck here.
    The -UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.91.zip- file completed but didn't give me root. Trying some others eventually worked with v2.16.zip.
    Thanks for this guide, been massively helpfull, for a semi-computer noob.
    thanks

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    483 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 227thomas View Post
    First post ever:
    -followed the guide, after tf300 root and custom rom guide, but got stuck here.
    The -UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.91.zip- file completed but didn't give me root. Trying some others eventually worked with v2.16.zip.
    Thanks for this guide, been massively helpfull, for a semi-computer noob.
    thanks
    That is awesome. When I get time I will update most of the download links in my post. SuperSU will be updated to a newer version and I will recommend TWRP 2.8 completely.

Just curious. Did you simply want to root the stock firmware or are you on a custom ROM. All custom ROMs are pre rooted but some require you to enable an extra setting to turn on the functionality.

______

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    and I will recommend TWRP 2.8 completely.
    Careful which one! I found that Scanno's new 2801 lacks f2fs capability. Area51's 2800 worked well for me although it must be flashed with fastboot. I still do not know if a .blob can be flashed with a cat command in adb shell like a .img can.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    483 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    Careful which one! I found that Scanno's new 2801 lacks f2fs capability. Area51's 2800 worked well for me although it must be flashed with fastboot. I still do not know if a .blob can be flashed with a cat command in adb shell like a .img can.
    Interesting. . Maybe I will stick with 2.7.1 for a while or link to a flashable zip.

I thought you said the build straight from Team TWRP did the trick?

______

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    I thought you said the build straight from Team TWRP did the trick?
    No, I wanted to make sure I had one optimized for the 300. If you stay with a 2.7 version it will be just that much sooner before you need to update again! Here is the one I used: Oops, that isn't an XDA mirror. I got the link from this page:

ROM★★★TF300 KitKat 4.4.4-C… | Asus Transformer TF300T | XDA Forums

about 2/3 down. Apparently it was developed to support data2sd and rom2sd, but does the job just fine if you merely want /data as f2fs. I need to look into TF700 support...

Oh, and given the noise surrounding KatKiss, and the reviews here (AFAIK Sabrina's and mine only) I think you should add a link to that ROM if it isn't too much hassle, although some have reported on the KatKiss forum SOD problems associated with longer periods of sleep. I've had none but I don't use sleep function, I believe frequent reboots are a good thing. And with boot times well under a minute there is no reason to it.
    Last edited by Kevinthefixer; 11-09-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    483 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    No, I wanted to make sure I had one optimized for the 300. If you stay with a 2.7 version it will be just that much sooner before you need to update again! Here is the one I used: Oops, that isn't an XDA mirror. I got the link from this page:

ROM★★★TF300 KitKat 4.4.4-C… | Asus Transformer TF300T | XDA Forums

about 2/3 down. Apparently it was developed to support data2sd and rom2sd, but does the job just fine if you merely want /data as f2fs. I need to look into TF700 support...

Oh, and given the noise surrounding KatKiss, and the reviews here (AFAIK Sabrina's and mine only) I think you should add a link to that ROM if it isn't too much hassle, although some have reported on the KatKiss forum SOD problems associated with longer periods of sleep. I've had none but I don't use sleep function, I believe frequent reboots are a good thing. And with boot times well under a minute there is no reason to it.
    Perfect. I like to see things from recognized developers so this will be a good one to link to. I think it's finally time to stop recommending separate recoveries for jelly bean and Kitkat. I will also add Kat Kiss and Zombi.-X to the selection as well as a possible f2fs guide. (do you know if something like that exists? )

I'm really wishing I had a tf300 again as i'm on between tablets still. My first reaction was to go out and buy a nexus 9 but reviews are pretty harsh on it (at least on early hardware and software builds) there seems to be an even bigger community around these devices in the last 6 months as I noticed about 5 new frequently maintained ROM go up since Kitkat dropped. Hopefully you guys can get Lollypop going as well 😀.

______

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    You can usually find a refurb TF300 around $130; I'd try Amazon first, that is if you're interested. Oddly enough the 700s go for about the same, and I believe it's a better tab.

I'd have to check more carefully but I believe timduru already has a Lollipop-base beta up.

Care to collaborate on a f2fs guide? Large chunks of time are only available to me on weekends but I see no great tearing hurry about it. On the other hand, I don't see a lot of demand for it either, but it may be a case of not knowing we needed it. The other limitation I see is that between the two of us we have only one experience with f2fs on this tablet, and only on the one ROM. Perhaps I should accelerate my plans to try CROMi-KK with f2fs on mine?

On the other hand, we are both technogeeks, and we both are quite literate (this is a rarity even among professional writers. A while back I heard a nationwide news anchorman warn us that the pictures we were about to see were quite graphic. This had to get past the writer, the producer, and one or two proofreaders, before it even got before the anchor's eyes!), and we both have customized our TF300s. It might be hard to find another pair with these qualifications. What are your thoughts?

I agree that there is no reason to recommend outdated recoveries as long as the newer ones are backward-compatible, and by all accounts that I've seen the 2800s are, at least back to JB. Do we know about ICS?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    That is awesome. When I get time I will update most of the download links in my post. SuperSU will be updated to a newer version and I will recommend TWRP 2.8 completely.

Just curious. Did you simply want to root the stock firmware or are you on a custom ROM. All custom ROMs are pre rooted but some require you to enable an extra setting to turn on the functionality.
    No, I just followed your guides from AtoZ. Was on stock when I used the guide to backup everything using Titanium and thus needed to root. After that I flashed CM10.2.1 , as it is the stable one and don't want to mess around with it to much. Couldn't stand the original rom anymore with the lag and everything. Do get the feeling the tf300 is a bit faster and much better on battery use now.

May try and go to kitkat when I get the time. (just updating cm on the tablet won't work right?)
    Again thanks for the guide, never really bothered looking for custom roms as I never really found a good guide for it how to do it. Am quite handy with pc's but by no means an expert and didn't want to/ scared to, brick the tablet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links