Page 62 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Like Tree196Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] How to Root/Install ROMs on the TF300. Jelly Bean KitKat and Lollipop ROMs

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    OK - Update as promised.

All went well and am now on KatKiss Marshmallow 6.0.10. Apps downloaded from Store and running. Early days I guess and all seems fine - but noticed a couple of issues and there maybe more perhaps . . .

Can't enable Bluetooth via the Tab on it's own. It has to be docked and the keyboard button used. It then works.
    Battery usage seems high. Both were fully charged before heading off to bed last night, but by the following day, keyboard battery was empty & Tab was down to 60%. Left sync settings etc as they were for LL ROM where battery life seemed better.

As I say, maybe teething bugs and the ROM will be tweaked and updated over time I guess. After all, the KatKiss Lollipop ROM was up to version 30 the last time I looked (I was on v24). This MM version is 10 - so there may be some way to go.
    So at the mo, I'm thinking of reverting back to Lollipop until the bugs are ironed out and this leads me to a couple of correct procedure questions or best practice if you don't mind . . . . .

Firstly, I've created a MarshMallow nandroid as a fail-safe via the latest TWRP version.

What is the correct way to restore a Nanroid - given my earlier file corruption problems, I would like to make sure I'm doing it right. Is is just a case of booting to recovery and using the Restore option? Do I need to wipe anything in recovery first? I'm thinking of testing my last remaining LL Nandroid from back in June. If that's borked, I was going to download the very latest Katkiss LL ROM (v30?) and flash that, then take a Nandroid?

Should that June Nandroid be borked (it was created on f2fs for sure), what is the best method of installing a new ROM into a currently good working system? Just a case of doing a wipe/factory reset in recovery and then flashing the new ROM? I'd need to this with a later version of MM anyway.

Cheers guys and thanks again.

Dumfy
    Last edited by Dumfy; 11-25-2015 at 08:17 AM.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Good to see you back in business. And on MM no less. Who would have thought the TF300 ever get a whiff of it. As you said: Bugs should be expected. To make this rather outdated hardware work on MM is no small task...

If your nandroid is ok, it should be a simple Restore > select nandroid > swipe the button.
    But probably a good practice to check the md5 of your nandroid files as I described a little further up.
    As for moving between nandroids or roms for that matter: My philosophy is that for small updates between versions it is usually ok to dirty flash (no wipes).
    Major updates of the same rom or moving between LP and MM versions require at least a clean flash (factory wipe in TWRP followed by rom flash or nandroid restore).
    Personally I lean towards the super clean flash (formatting data prior to rom flash/nandroid restore). But since that requires moving all data off the tablet and back (unless you restore a nandroid which would also restore that data) it involves quite a bit of time.
    So to just try a new rom I might clean flash it first. Most times that is sufficient, but IF I like the rom and IF I experience some weird problems (apps fc, sudden reboot) that nobody else seems to have I would reinstall super clean.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    Good to see you back in business. And on MM no less. Who would have thought the TF300 ever get a whiff of it. As you said: Bugs should be expected. To make this rather outdated hardware work on MM is no small task...

If your nandroid is ok, it should be a simple Restore > select nandroid > swipe the button.
    But probably a good practice to check the md5 of your nandroid files as I described a little further up.
    As for moving between nandroids or roms for that matter: My philosophy is that for small updates between versions it is usually ok to dirty flash (no wipes).
    Major updates of the same rom or moving between LP and MM versions require at least a clean flash (factory wipe in TWRP followed by rom flash or nandroid restore).
    Personally I lean towards the super clean flash (formatting data prior to rom flash/nandroid restore). But since that requires moving all data off the tablet and back (unless you restore a nandroid which would also restore that data) it involves quite a bit of time.
    So to just try a new rom I might clean flash it first. Most times that is sufficient, but IF I like the rom and IF I experience some weird problems (apps fc, sudden reboot) that nobody else seems to have I would reinstall super clean.

Hi Droidbound,

As ever, many many thanks to you, Kevinthefixer et al for always being here to help out guys like myself on the learning curve.

I've now printed out your advice given above and am using it as my backup/restore/install routine and it works great for me. I did the md5 file hash check on my June LP nandroid as suggested and it was good, so I restored that nandroid as a test - perfect. I've since done a clean flash and gone back to KatKiss LP 5.1.30 - the latest - and will use this for a while until more of the bugs in MM are ironed out with later releases. Will definitely go back to MM at some point.

Like you, I'm stunned that the TF300 got this far and never thought I'd see it run MM successfully. Talk about life in the old dog?? Six months ago I was about to throw the tablet in the bin as it's performance was dire under the Asus JB ROM.

One thing I meant to ask about the md5 file checking . . . as I mentioned, I downloaded & run the app and all was good. I then noticed when in recovery that there is a selectable option for md5 checking. Is this the same thing as what the md5 file checker does?

All the best

Dumfy

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    We're certainly giving our vocabularies a workout on this one. "Dire"? Well, OK, that fills me with dread!

Yes, the md5 check in TWRP does the same thing as the app, or you can do it manually in terminal emulator or adb shell:

md5sum /full/path/to/file.extension

I'm sure there is a way to do this in Windows but I don't know what it is. Probably more than one way. Incidentally this is good standard practice when downloading, for instance, ROM .zips.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    hi there

I consider myself a noob when it comes to flashing and roms etc. - I've tried a few ROMs on TF300T
    - OmniRom KitKat - Wifi Wouldnt Work
    - KatKiss Kitkat - too laggy
    - CM 12 - Lollipop - extremely laggy
    - CM 11s - works ok - but Games like Jurassic World & MKX don't render properly and the game crashes frequently.

Does anyone has a suggestion of which ROM is best for Gaming - so that Games like I mentioned run smoothly and without lag. Thanks a ton in advance.
    Also, is there a way to partition the SD Card and use some of the memory as Virtual RAM? I find that most games run well on atleast 2GB RAM and butter smooth on 3GB RAM. I have a 8 and 16 GB MicroSD Card - so would partitioning it and allocating an extra 2GB of RAM give me a performance thats comparable (or as close to) to a device that has 2 or 3GB RAM - like say, the One Plus One phone?

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rajivness View Post
    hi there

I consider myself a noob when it comes to flashing and roms etc. - I've tried a few ROMs on TF300T
    - OmniRom KitKat - Wifi Wouldnt Work
    - KatKiss Kitkat - too laggy
    - CM 12 - Lollipop - extremely laggy
    - CM 11s - works ok - but Games like Jurassic World & MKX don't render properly and the game crashes frequently.

Does anyone has a suggestion of which ROM is best for Gaming - so that Games like I mentioned run smoothly and without lag. Thanks a ton in advance.
    Also, is there a way to partition the SD Card and use some of the memory as Virtual RAM? I find that most games run well on atleast 2GB RAM and butter smooth on 3GB RAM. I have a 8 and 16 GB MicroSD Card - so would partitioning it and allocating an extra 2GB of RAM give me a performance thats comparable (or as close to) to a device that has 2 or 3GB RAM - like say, the One Plus One phone?
    Omni and KatKiss ran laggy? I don't know what you expect from an old device like this, but it doesn't get much better than with those roms. You could try Katkiss Lollipop and format data to f2fs which does help a lot for "normal" performance, but if you're games are geared toward current devices they may not run well on this tablet no matter what you throw on there.
    Although I do wonder if you followed proper flashing procedures trying those roms.... If you don't wipe, better: format properly, if you don't have the latest bootloader and proper recovery you can flash whatever you like - it's never going to perform well.

You cannot allocate virtual ram on these devices - just doesn't work. You can run data2sd (/data on a fast microSD) to circumvent the slow memory, but that is probably not going to help much if you have a ram gobbling game....
    The only roms that support data2sd are CROMbi-KK (would not recommend it), Zombi-Pop and good old CROMi-X (unless you flash one of their data2sd enabled kernels on a CM installation). You'll find instructions on data2sd in those threads. Don't follow the dedidacted data2sd thread on XDA. It's hopelessly outdated.
    Good luck

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    I just wanted to say THANK YOU. With 62 pages, this may never be seen, but I'm pretty inexperienced (though I have successfully rooted 2 older phones) and I managed to complete this process, though it did take me 3.5 hours.

There were 3 stupid places I got hung up, so I thought I'd point them out in case any other inexperienced person tries this. I used Windows 10 and didn't have any issues, btw.

1) When it says "boot into Fastboot mode," I thought that meant, from the screen with 3 icons, to click on the Android guy and boot (cold boot). Then nothing would work. It finally occurred to me to just boot to the menu with 3 icons and stay there.

2) I was reading the directions on my phone since I was using my tablet and PC to do the rooting. When it came to typing "fastboot devices" it looked like this:

I kept typing Code and View until FINALLY, with #1 figured out, I just tried the words fastboot devices and it worked! I thought I was having issues like were mentioned with Windows 8 so I lost a lot of time trying other fastboot drivers.

3) When it says rename to twrp.img, DON'T ACTUALLY TYPE the .img. Or if you do, your file name is twrp.img.img. I spent SO long re-downloading this and moving it around until FINALLY I went and realized I just needed to rename it "twrp" As soon as I did that, it worked.

So these are all REALLY stupid things and IT people will probably laugh, but I lost at least an hour with all 3, so if I can help anybody, I'm glad!

So far, I flashed Omni ROM for lollipop. It seems ok. I mean, I can run Facebook and check e-mail, which I couldn't even do anymore on JellyBean, so at least it's functional. My son tried to load Minion Rush, and it kept crashing. So not sure if I care enough to try another ROM (he has his own tablet and phone) or just let it be as is.

But THANK YOU again. Really, this thing sat as a paper weight on my filing cabinet for the last year until I got the guts (and a sync cable that actually worked) to try it!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Well thanks for the post CMD!
    While i don't have tf300 anymore I still like to make a decent effort at keeping this guide up to date. Your comments will be placed in our long customer service queue and dealt with in a timely manner \sarcasm

Actually I was interested in knowing that all the links are still working since I haven't tested them in a while. We realized a while back that the unlock tool was no longer working due to problems on the Asus server side of things and had to revamp the instructions a little bit.

In regards to your helpful comments:
    1. I will probably add a little reminder of what the fastboot screen actually is. On older bootloader versions it was a sub menu that you had to enter into

2. That must be a formatting glitch. The code box is way to format the text so it stands out from everything else as being command line code. The software that Transfomer Forums is built on is getting quite old and has some mobile incompatibilities.

3. I can't remember if there is a sentence in the guide warning users about that. some computers have the extensions hidden by default (like you) and others show them. You are definitely not the first person to fall victim to that trick

As for your ROM choice, I hope you are happy with OMNI since it is quite stable but no longer being maintained. If you are feeling adventurous you could switch over to any of the Katkiss ROMs. There are Lollipop, Marshmallow and Kitkat versions now and that seems to be what everyone is using these days based on a quick look at recent posts on xda. I would definitely stay away from plain Cyanogenmod though. It's not nearly as optimized for the tf300 as katkiss and other ROMs are.

Generally anything built by talented developers sbdags, scanno, Timduru, or lj50036 is an excellent choice.

Quote Originally Posted by cmd1031 View Post
    I just wanted to say THANK YOU. With 62 pages, this may never be seen, but I'm pretty inexperienced (though I have successfully rooted 2 older phones) and I managed to complete this process, though it did take me 3.5 hours.

There were 3 stupid places I got hung up, so I thought I'd point them out in case any other inexperienced person tries this. I used Windows 10 and didn't have any issues, btw.

1) When it says "boot into Fastboot mode," I thought that meant, from the screen with 3 icons, to click on the Android guy and boot (cold boot). Then nothing would work. It finally occurred to me to just boot to the menu with 3 icons and stay there.

2) I was reading the directions on my phone since I was using my tablet and PC to do the rooting. When it came to typing "fastboot devices" it looked like this:

I kept typing Code and View until FINALLY, with #1 figured out, I just tried the words fastboot devices and it worked! I thought I was having issues like were mentioned with Windows 8 so I lost a lot of time trying other fastboot drivers.

3) When it says rename to twrp.img, DON'T ACTUALLY TYPE the .img. Or if you do, your file name is twrp.img.img. I spent SO long re-downloading this and moving it around until FINALLY I went and realized I just needed to rename it "twrp" As soon as I did that, it worked.

So these are all REALLY stupid things and IT people will probably laugh, but I lost at least an hour with all 3, so if I can help anybody, I'm glad!

So far, I flashed Omni ROM for lollipop. It seems ok. I mean, I can run Facebook and check e-mail, which I couldn't even do anymore on JellyBean, so at least it's functional. My son tried to load Minion Rush, and it kept crashing. So not sure if I care enough to try another ROM (he has his own tablet and phone) or just let it be as is.

But THANK YOU again. Really, this thing sat as a paper weight on my filing cabinet for the last year until I got the guts (and a sync cable that actually worked) to try it!
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    I may try switching to Katkiss, thanks. for some reason, at 1:15am the other day, I couldn't figure out what to actually download and do. The Omni link had more step by step instructions. Now that I've done it once, the Katkiss makes more sense. If I flash a new rom, where do I start? TWRP recovery, wipe, then load the files as directed?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cmd1031 View Post
    I may try switching to Katkiss, thanks. for some reason, at 1:15am the other day, I couldn't figure out what to actually download and do. The Omni link had more step by step instructions. Now that I've done it once, the Katkiss makes more sense. If I flash a new rom, where do I start? TWRP recovery, wipe, then load the files as directed?
    Yep. Use the factory reset wipe in twrp (keeps your personal non app data) flash the files and boot up.

Can I ask how you were able to find a copy of the unlock tool? ASUS seems to have removed it from their support site at least for most people depending in their location. I just updated the guide with a link from one of our moderators.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Page 62 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links