Page 61 of 72 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 ... LastLast
Like Tree195Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] How to Root/Install ROMs on the TF300. Jelly Bean KitKat and Lollipop ROMs

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    710 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumfy View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys & here are the answers . . . .

In the TWRP/Backup folder there are 14 files in total - not sure if you want me to name them all but can if req'd. However, there are big discrepancies when comparing file sizes - not in the neighbourhood you might say or even the same continent perhaps?

Mine are . . .
    boot.emmc.win - 48B (yes - bytes)
    data.f2fs.win000 - 51B (yes - bytes)
    data.info - 66B (yes - bytes)
    system.ext4.win - 260MB
    system.info - 64B (yes - bytes)
    recovery.log - 3.3MB

The TWRP version is 2.8.6.1 and some earlier Nandroids were done on an earlier TWRP version. This brings me to @Kevinthefixer's question and may be the cause of all this. Out of interest and wanting to test the restore operation due to the problem I had on vacation, I thought it would be "fun" to restore the Nandroid I made of the original Asus ROM to remind myself how bad the system was. This was of course made with an ext4 partition and I now have f2fs to run KatKiss Lollipop. The Orig Asus was duly loaded on to this and sounds like the cause of my woes? I completely forgot that I'd changed the file system.

To me, it looks like I do indeed need to start over - especially my as latest Nandroids are no good. Sounds like it's best to do as @Kevinthefixer suggests ? . . . do a complete format of /data to ext4, then convert back to f2fs. What a great opportunity to give Marshmallow a try after all. I never even realised it was released for the TF300 already. Amazing.

I've downloaded the KatKiss 6.0 ROM and version 6 gapps to go with it. Previously, I've also used gapps-GoogleLauncher with lollipop. Do I still need to use this Marshmallow?

Lastly - on my PC I have saved Nandroids of the various ROMS I've tried - from the Orig Asus through to KatKiss Lollipop. Think it safe to say that these are intact and not corrupted by what's happened, so should be OK to use if needs be - but must remember the file system change!! I probably won't use them, but the last Lollipop Nandroid I could use was made back in June. I may need this if Marshmallow goes belly up. The Nandroid I made today is most definitely corrupt going by the data/values above.

Thanks

Dumfy
    Hmmmmm. If hose are your actual file sizes TWRP definitely borked your nandroids. You're not quoting the md5 files, right? boot, data and system all have a corresponding md5 check sum file.
    Would be interesting to run a file hash on it. Download MD5Checker, load the boot.emmc.win as file 1 and it's md5 as file 2, then run the check.
    Probably would be a good idea to do that right after you take nandroid. Although I have to admit, I've never done that either....
    But I agree with Kevin: Definitely flash the latest TWRP.
    And if you want to try MM a full format is in order anyway.
    Never mind Kevin's gapps allergy - it's a condition you know.. tough... we don't really talk about it....
    In principle he's right naturally, but then.....the tablet runs best if you do not have any apps on it. It kinda limits it's usefulness though.... somewhat...a lot..
    Last edited by droidbound; 11-22-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    You're right DB - looks like I quoted the md5 files - oops! I confirmed this by looking at my previous Nandroid backed up on the PC in June. After my last post here, I deleted all suspect Nandroids - so can't do file hash stuff. Another time maybe.

So what's the difference between gapps-GoogleLauncher & gapps-KatKiss-6.0_TF300T_20151031? I think the former isn't geared towards MM anyway?

Also - how do I confirm my Lollipop Nandroid created back in June is sound and not "borked"? Is there a way other than restoring it? I was hoping to use this if MM goes belly up.

OK - so I'm gonna start afresh and give MM a go and if I'm correct, here's the order of play . . .

Install the latest Kang TWRP. Does this simply write over the existing?
    Change /data file system from f2fs => ext4 => f2fs
    Install MM ROM & gapps

Since I first started this project back in May, my PC now runs Windows 10 Home, so it looks like I'll need to install Fast Boot back on it. Is this OK with Win10?
    If there's problems, I've backed up a Win7 image which has Fastboot on it from previous work and can always temporarily restore that image to do this TWRP upgrade?

It'll take me a few days to get around to doing this - and in a sad & geeky kind of way I'm looking forward to it. Gotta keep the grey matter updated too
    I'll report back to let you know how it went - or as more than likely - will be back for help when I'm stuck!

"Borked" - now that's a definite to add to my dictionary

Thanks & regards

Dumfy
    Last edited by Dumfy; 11-23-2015 at 04:33 AM.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Believe me, you do not want to hear about my medical conditions. You can trust me on this one. It's just that GAPPs has been getting larger, more intrusive, and more resource-hungry, and our aging Transformers are not growing more resources. My 300 is much happier without GAPPs. I was feeding it apps from Amazon, but their new "underground" app is even worse. They will not allow it on the TFs, I'm guessing they don't like the permissions management in the custom LP ROMs, and it cripples my older tabs that they will allow it on. It bricked a Hannspree. Well, that's what Nandroids are for.

I believe "borked" is a term unique to German geeks, but @DB is the expert here. Although I think I'm about half German blood myself; these things got kind of hard to track in the US backwoods for a couple centuries.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    710 times
    Guys - you gotta keep up with the times! "Borked" is a highly technical and widely used term. See here: Urban Dictionary: borked

With Win10 you have to jump through a few hoops to be able to install the drivers you need for adb fastboot. I think I have a link in my guide, let me dig through it real quick...
    Actually have the video right there: Beginners Guide to flashing a custom ROM on TF700T It's for Win 8.1 but 10 has the same hoops.
    I would highly recommend you jump through those hoops and get fastboot working. But there's also the possibility to flash the new TWRP in your current TWRP. The Kang TWRP Kevin linked to comes in a recovery flashable package.
    Last edited by droidbound; 11-23-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    The Kang TWRP Kevin linked to comes in a recovery flashable package.
    Yes, but we have reason to believe that the current version is, well, borked. I think I'd go with a fastboot flash, even if it means a bit more work. And as always there is my live Linux CD linked in my sig. Don't worry, Linux doesn't bite, and it's free and legal. Careful, though, it is addictive--another of my medical conditions you don't want to know about. But what about you Windows addicts who must spend US$100 a pop or more to feed your monkey?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    Just wanted to say thank you for this thread once again. I messed up my tablet after mistakenly deleting my lollipop back-up, turning off the tablet halfway through kitkat installation and getting stuck in bootloop.

Followed the guide and now my tablet is ok once again ☺

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk
    droidbound likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    710 times
    Yeah - I've had days like that... Just completely borked

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    Now im happy back at kitkat. ☺ it has been more stable for me especially when a long standby.

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    Yes, but we have reason to believe that the current version is, well, borked. I think I'd go with a fastboot flash, even if it means a bit more work. And as always there is my live Linux CD linked in my sig. Don't worry, Linux doesn't bite, and it's free and legal. Careful, though, it is addictive--another of my medical conditions you don't want to know about. But what about you Windows addicts who must spend US$100 a pop or more to feed your monkey?
    Well, the word borked is getting well used in the thread now! Excellent Urban Dictionary explanation too. Must be getting too old for these new words and acronyms - lol (?!)

Right - quick update . . .

Must be lucky as ADB and Fastboot installed on my Win10 as sweet as a nut and no hoops to jump through. Have successfully flashed the new TWRP recovery and am now on version 2.8.7.2 - much nicer interface too.
    Have just started /data conversion process . . .

Hopefully, my next post will say I'm on MM

Cheers

Dumfy

ps . . @Kevinthefixer - I'm making the voyage into Linux too! As if I haven't got enough on my plate. I have an old Samsung Netbook (remember them??) that was running XP. Anyway, it now has Win10 on it and I'm dual booting it with Linux Mint Cinnamon. Much sexier sounding names than Windows, eh? I'm into Hi-Fi and using the Netbook to feed a DAC for Hi Res Audio. Works a treat under Windows, but my challenge is to do the same with Mint. Any pointers for good resources in this project - such as a high quality audio player for Linux? kinda like what JRiver is for Windows?
    Anyway, I digress as this a Transformer forum . . .
    Last edited by Dumfy; 11-24-2015 at 06:13 AM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    I'm an audi-awful myself, but I'm sort of a purist--I want a player that plays mp3s and handles playlists. I use Audacious. But as you say we are WAY OT. See you on the Mint forums, I'm quite active on the LMDE2 forum. Looks about the same but Debian-based instead of Ubuntu. Open Source rules!

Page 61 of 72 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links