Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast
Like Tree196Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] How to Root/Install ROMs on the TF300. Jelly Bean KitKat and Lollipop ROMs

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    What kind of wall charger is this?

Every tf300 I have seen has two parts a usb Cable which plugs into a wall wart. Is yours all one piece?

Unlocking the bootloader does not give you any superuser permissions. If you read the guide, I explain that to obtain root you need a custom recovery. If you are going to do that than it is much more beneficial to install a custom ROM which has root built in.
    It is one piece, I believe my unit was a refurb.

That explains it, I must have missed that part, I did read through the whole guide.

I'll order the cable, I'm just impatient and tired of the lag of the unit. Thanks for your help!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH158 View Post
    It is one piece, I believe my unit was a refurb.

That explains it, I must have missed that part, I did read through the whole guide.

I'll order the cable, I'm just impatient and tired of the lag of the unit. Thanks for your help!
    If I could give any extra piece of advice, it would be to do this when you are able to focus completely on the task. Every time someone reports a bootloop, it is always because they did not read the directions completely or were impatient.

I am glad you were able to unlock the bootloader. That is usually hit and miss for refurbished devices.

I assure you that you will not regret what you are doing. You will definitely see results especially if you do a complete format of you tablet. If you dont have one yet you should also be ordering a microSD card. It will prove very useful for installing ROMs and backing things as well as formatting.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    If I could give any extra piece of advice, it would be to do this when you are able to focus completely on the task. Every time someone reports a bootloop, it is always because they did not read the directions completely or were impatient.

I am glad you were able to unlock the bootloader. That is usually hit and miss for refurbished devices.

I assure you that you will not regret what you are doing. You will definitely see results especially if you do a complete format of you tablet. If you dont have one yet you should also be ordering a microSD card. It will prove very useful for installing ROMs and backing things as well as formatting.
    Have plenty of micro SD's, just never invested much in the TF300, has been my secondary tab to my Galaxy tab 3 due to the lagginess.

Can't wait to see it perform fully!

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    My refurb TF300 came with a wall wart and cable all one piece. I had to buy a data cable separately. One of the reviews of the one I bought (from Amazon AIR) said it was terrible, took several days to charge the tablet; obviously that person was not using an Asus power supply with it.

Without root permissions, you cannot install TWRP via terminal. And you cannot root the stock ROM without TWRP. So a data cable is a must, and you must get fastboot working. Check out my sig if you do not want to set up fastboot and drivers in Windows; you can boot your PC to a live Linux CD, do your work, and exit with no trace left on the PC.

I run KatKiss Lollipop on my 300 and I strongly recommend it. Lag is basically nonexistent.
    Last edited by Kevinthefixer; 01-20-2015 at 07:37 PM.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey Dabba.

These are all really great questions and important things to know when experimenting with custom ROMs and tweaks.

1. I am not completely familiar with all of the options and tweaks in that particular ROM but I can give some explanations for a few things in the Aroma Installer.
    -Kernel Choice. You have choice of four kernels which all have most of the same options. the CM11 kernel, _That's, Grimlock, and Geass. The last three have overclocked CPU and GPU by default. the CM11 is most close to the original kernel with stock frequencies. All of these kernels allow their frequencies to be tweaked using an app like TricksterMod or the built in Performance Settings in the ROM (Accessed the same way you enable Developer Options)

- DPI size (pixel density) not something I would want to change if I like the way software elements are scaled.

-.Default apps. This might be nice if you want a particular launcher

-Various tweaks. quite a few of these are quite good. Apparently you have a choice of stock CM11 or Sbdag's favorites initially. I would choose the latter as the developer usually knows best

2. It is very easy to change options. Simply reflash the ROM without wiping (called a dirty flash) if you have the option, it is a good idea to wipe the cache and dalvik cache.

One thing to keep in mind, is that after a few installs and updates, things are going to need cleaning up with a wipe of the SYSTEM partition. This partition only contains the apps and ROM itself. No user files like pictures etc. Apps can be reinstalled from the play store easily. If there is need to keep the content and settings from an app then you can use something like Titanium backup to make a complete backup of that app. You can look on Youtube for how to use that app.

3. The Format button in TWRP is a good tool and something you might consider using once before you get setup too much in your new ROM. That function will completely reformat all partitions (except for TWRP and the bootloader of course) which will likely speed things up a bit if this has never been done before. This process can take some time and should not be interrupted. You will need a microSD card so that you can save any backups you may have as well as a ROM zip to install.

4. Your backup (the nandroid) is saved in a folder called TWRP in the top directory of the internal memory.

5.Best ways to speed things up are to reformat the memory as well as utilizing some of the ROM tweaks.

6. Perhaps once you reformat, you might want to "shop around" to find a ROM you prefer the most. CROMBi-kk's cousin: ZOMBi -X is a good choice as it is based from OmniROM rather than CM. KatKiss is also a very popular choice and there is also a 5.0 Lollipop version as well.

Let me know if this still leaves you with questions.

Good luck and happy flashing.
    In regards to point 2, how would I wipe the system. Is that the format option from TWRP?

For number 3. So, I would make a backup, and then transfer that backup to an sd card and then format. Then I could boot up in TWRP with the backup and rom and reinstall from the sd? (Looks like i need to buy an sd).

What's the different between omnirom and cm? Sorry for the questions. I'm used to working with computers so this is a little different for me, haha. I think I may stick with cm11, just to keep the stock frequencies to prolong life. It's fast enough for now, and I image a format would help greatly.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabba View Post
    In regards to point 2, how would I wipe the system. Is that the format option from TWRP?
    I humbly disagree on this
    Every rom installer I have ever seen formats the system partition before installing the new rom. Why wipe if the partition gets formatted during installation anyway?
    I have seen plenty of posts though: TWRP reports "no OS installed"! What to do????
    I would advise against the user formatting or wiping /system. It's part of the installation script anyway.
    After you flashed a rom in TWRP, go to Advanced and tap: save log to sdcard. Then read the installation log.

For number 3. So, I would make a backup, and then transfer that backup to an sd card and then format. Then I could boot up in TWRP with the backup and rom and reinstall from the sd? (Looks like i need to buy an sd).
    Yes, you should. Backups should not be only on internal storage. How do you get to it if your data partition is corrupted or recovery refuses to mount /data?
    You can define the backup location in TWRP. Just tap on the element that says "Internal storage" and select the microSD.

You should only boot into a completely installed system. In other words, it's inadvisable to boot Android after you wiped or formatted data. Always reflash the rom or restore a backup first.
    So you do everything in the same recovery session:
    1. Backup
    2. Wipe or format data, cache and Dalvik
    3. flash rom or restore backup
    4. reboot
    What's the different between omnirom and cm? Sorry for the questions. I'm used to working with computers so this is a little different for me, haha. I think I may stick with cm11, just to keep the stock frequencies to prolong life. It's fast enough for now, and I image a format would help greatly.
    They both based on AOSP (Android OPen Source Project). Differences between roms are like ice cream flavors. You gotta try them to know which one you like better.
    I don't understand what you mean about "stock frequencies"....
    Last edited by droidbound; 01-20-2015 at 09:56 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey droidbound,

Thanks for the reply. Good to know about doing it all in one session. Thanks for all the information and answers. Indeed the installation did format before proceeding. I probably am going to do a full backup and format once i get an sd card.

By stock frequencies I mean stock speeds on the cpu/gpu and not over clocking.

Speaking of trying new things, I've been reading about dual booting using an sd card. I'm thinking about buying another sd card in order to load new roms I'd like to try without messing with my main installation.

So if i do this, would it be just like flashing to internal memory? After it's done, how would you boot into one or the other?

Sorry for the continued questions. I'm probably going up pick up an sd card or three tomorrow, plus a reader.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Get a Samsung Evo. In my experience they work best for data2sd/rom2sd. Even better than the Scandisk Ultra cards. They have better write speeds and that's what's lacking on the internal mmc of the Transformers.
    Don't fall for anything promising 50, 60 or 90 mbs. Our hardware can't handle that anyway.

Dual booting = rom2sd
    Only a few custom ROMs support it natively so you can only flash those in a dual or multiple boot scenario: CROMi-X, CROMBi-KK, ZOMBi-X and ZOMBi-POP. That's for the TF700, the selection for the TF300 is smaller. Check the OP in the ROM threads on XDA. They mention if they support it.
    Theoretically, yes you can run any rom on an external card but believe me, it is involved! The roms I just mentioned make it easy because they have all the necessary preinit scripts in the installer and you just have to partition the microSD for data2sd or rom2sd.
    If you want to read about the basics, head for Development section of the TF700 on XDA and look for the Dual-boot thread by _that. He invented it.
    Rom2sd has evolved since then and the files he posted there (to be flashed in recovery) would need to be modified depending on the rom you want to install to external. At that time we had a CROMi-X/CM10 situation and he put those files together for that point in time. Interesting reading though - I'd recommend you check it out.
    Basically you need init scripts that run before boot and identify if you have a microSD formatted for dual boot inserted. If you do, the rom installed to external boots. If you take the card out, the internal installation boots (and if you take the card out while booted into the external rom you get a nasty crash. LOL)
    I recommend you start with data2sd, the parent of rom2sd, born out of frustration over the slow internal memory of the Transformers.
    Same concept: A preinit script identifies if you have a microSD formatted for data2sd inserted. If you do, the script switches the device nodes for /data, forcing the tablet to use a partition on the (faster) microSD to be used as data partition where apps cache their data during normal operation. Lots of write processes happening and that's the weak point on these tablets: very slow writes.
    It takes a while to wrap your head around this because it creates interesting problems and situations for common tasks:
    How do you nandroid an external data partition?
    How do you restore, wipe, format it?
    Recovery doesn't know the first thing about data2sd. You have to trick TWRP into acting on external partitions since it's not designed for it (preinint scripts don't run when you boot into recovery but there's a special file you have to flash to switch the nodes when in recovery).
    It took me about 6 months to "get it" ......
    Happy reading!
    Last edited by droidbound; 01-20-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    One thing to mention about the CPU frequencies are that they are completely adjustable. Are you familiar with the Asus balanced, powersave and performance profiles? When you load a kernel like_that's v8 performance will be over clocked to a point that your tablet can certainly manage and the other two profiles will be standard. You can adjust the maximum frequency in the performance settings of any ROM.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    That's sad about the complexity of rom2sd. Maybe I'll avoid that for now but data2sd sounds interesting.

With data2sd, you said write speed is slow. Is that only for internal memory or also to the sd card? If both, how does using the sd card for data speed up the tablet? Just by freeing up the internal memory? How much of a performance boost would one see?

Also I noticed the thread title includes lollipop. Is that the same procedure just using a lollipop rom or is there a post buried in the thread that details a different procedure?

Thanks again, you guys have been wonderful at teaching me

Gtanner, I have the cm11 installed and I loved at the dev options. I see some options on there but nothing for adjusting or seeing click speed. Is this only in the other kernals?

Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links