Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times

How do you know if the bootloader is locked or not?

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but how can you tell if your bootloader is locked or not? I bought my TF300T about a month ago and I'm really debating if I should root it or not.

Do Asus lock all the bootloaders on every TF300 or does it depend on the country or batch ect?

If they don't lock all of them then how can you find out if its locked?

Thanks

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoud View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been asked before but how can you tell if your bootloader is locked or not? I bought my TF300T about a month ago and I'm really debating if I should root it or not.

Do Asus lock all the bootloaders on every TF300 or does it depend on the country or batch ect?

If they don't lock all of them then how can you find out if its locked?

Thanks

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2
    If it is unlocked it says so in the upper left corner on the Asus boot screen

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk HD

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2261 times
    Welcome to the forum

AFAIK, all new TF300s have locked bootloaders. To unlock the bootloader you have to use the Asus unlock tool. When you do that, the serial number of your device is reported to Asus and you immediately invalidate your device warranty.

You do not need to unlock your bootloader to root your device. However, rooting also carries the technical possibility of voiding your warranty.

Your thread has been moved to our development section for the tf300 which contains a lot of information on and around your subject matter.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Welcome to the forum

AFAIK, all new TF300s have locked bootloaders. To unlock the bootloader you have to use the Asus unlock tool. When you do that, the serial number of your device is reported to Asus and you immediately invalidate your device warranty.

You do not need to unlock your bootloader to root your device. However, rooting also carries the technical possibility of voiding your warranty.

Your thread has been moved to our development section for the tf300 which contains a lot of information on and around your subject matter.

All the best
    Fair enough. I was under the impression you needed it unlocked to root.

I already knew about the serial getting sent to Asus if you unlock and that's what I was worried about since I have just less than a year's warranty.

I'm not new to rooting or even custom ROMs but I'm new to locked bootloaders as the current equipment I've rooted has been Samsung so usually already unlocked and easily rootable.

As for how to root the TF300T without unlocking could someone please point me in the right direction? My TF300T is a UK version and it's currently on the latest update of Jelly Bean 4.2.1

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2811 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoud View Post
    Fair enough. I was under the impression you needed it unlocked to root.

I already knew about the serial getting sent to Asus if you unlock and that's what I was worried about since I have just less than a year's warranty.

I'm not new to rooting or even custom ROMs but I'm new to locked bootloaders as the current equipment I've rooted has been Samsung so usually already unlocked and easily rootable.

As for how to root the TF300T without unlocking could someone please point me in the right direction? My TF300T is a UK version and it's currently on the latest update of Jelly Bean 4.2.1

Thanks
    It was possible to root without unlocking by using Wolf's method (basically sym link the recovery partition to a temp directory to get write access) and then allow you to downgrade to ICS where there were some tools to root. Then you would have to back up root and do your OTA updates and restore root to get back to the current firmware.

As of the last few JB updates (including 4.2) this method was blocked, so as of now the ONLY method to root that I am aware of for the TF300T is to unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery and install superuser or SuperSU through recovery.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2261 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    It was possible to root without unlocking by using Wolf's method (basically sym link the recovery partition to a temp directory to get write access) and then allow you to downgrade to ICS where there were some tools to root. Then you would have to back up root and do your OTA updates and restore root to get back to the current firmware.

As of the last few JB updates (including 4.2) this method was blocked, so as of now the ONLY method to root that I am aware of for the TF300T is to unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery and install superuser or SuperSU through recovery.
    That's what's needed - someone who knows what they are talking about - so, it looks like if you want to root now danyoud, it will be at the cost of your warranty.

Is that a price worth paying for you?

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    That's what's needed - someone who knows what they are talking about - so, it looks like if you want to root now danyoud, it will be at the cost of your warranty.

Is that a price worth paying for you?
    Yeah it seems that is the question.

For the most part I actually don't need root on it but there is still so many useful things that you can't achieve without root.

Probably a daft question but has anyone made an unofficial method to unlock the device or a way of not letting the unlock tool send its data to Asus or even send false data?

Thanks a lot everyone for the replies. It's been one of them questions with too many grey areas until now.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    It seems it was worth the risk in the end for me.

I used the unlock tool and now have twrp recovery and a fully rooted and more importantly working TF300T.

Don't get me wrong, rooting isn't for everyone and anyone deciding if they should or not should definitely read into it first and have a good reason to. I may end up regretting it if my device ends up with a fault as I have no warranty now but it's a chance I was willing to take.

Thanks for the info guys.

Ads