Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Rooting: Don't KNOW how to do it, Don't WANT to do it; But I guess I have no choice..

Hiya,

I'm new to Transformer Forums and actually to Android and tablet PCs all together.
    So hello!
    Despite nub status, I am preparing to root my Transformer 300, which I purchased a few days ago.

I don't want to. I don't want to void the warranty, I don't want to lose access to future updates and be responsible for administration activities later that I barely (at best) understand, and I sure don't want to be the proud owner of a brick but....

Why?
    I live in China and I bought my TF300 from the Chinese website 360Buy.com. The tablet is great, I love it, the problem is the ROM (I think you'd call it the ROM).

Build number: IML74K.CN_epad-9.4.3.30-20120604

That's the Chinese version, which presents several disadvantages.
    First, most of the preinstalled apps are for Chinese shopping sites and Mandarin books or songs.
    I'm concerned that there may be tracking software on it that reports what sites you're visiting;
    and the biggest issue: China hates Google.

None of the Google stuff came preinstalled. I tried manually downloading and installing Google Play, but it won't open. I can't add Google accounts, or the gmail app, and I can't get any Google maps. For me it's really a problem because all of my files and calendars etc are on Google. I want the apps and I want the maps!

SO, if I understand correctly, what I need to do is download and install the stock international version of Jellybean. I don't need any custom ROMs or any of the super clocking and battery extending mods, at least not on this, my first Android device. I guess this means I have to 1. Root it, 2. Backup the device (although it's so new, I've no personal data or special apps on it yet), and 3. Reset it with the new ROM. But do I have to roll it back to version .17 first? And maybe I don't have to unlock the boot loader, whatever that entails, because I just want to install a new stock ROM?

I've spent the last 3 days reading up on this, but I have to admit it sounds pretty complicated and for every one thing I figure out, I discover 2 more things I need to understand.

The instructions seem to vary a lot depending on what ROM you're starting with and what you want to load and what backup app you use and what stuff you have to download first and something about drivers and I'm more confused now than I was before I started.

I feel like what I want to do with my device is a pretty simple and reasonable thing to want... there should be a simple-ish solution?

Can anyone point me to a really basic and straightforward process that will work for my particular device? Or at least suggest some required reading? Something that doesn't go off on too many technical tangents....

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. I've learned a lot about Android in the last 5 days, but the learning curve is pretty steep!

Thanks a million!
    (Or Xie Xie, as they say here in the Middle Kingdom)

Penny

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2256 times
    (knock, knock, knock)...Penny

(Hope you've watched The Big Bang Theory )

Welcome to the forum

There is a tf101 thread on this somewhere. I'll try to find it for you

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2256 times
    Here you go, it says it will also work,on the tf300

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ansformer.html

Good luck & please post back with your results.

And also here... http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-firmware.html
    Last edited by janner43; 09-24-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2256 times
    This (pretty old) thread might further inform, but I believe those above are your better bet...

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ion-issue.html
    Last edited by janner43; 09-24-2012 at 11:11 AM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times
    Thanks for joining us and congrats on your new toy!

I am pretty sure you will need to unlock the bootloader to change versions of the tablet. Stock recovery will not allow you to change versions, and you cannot install a custom recovery without unlocking the bootloader. I should note the TF101 has an unlocked bootloader so the process is a bit different.

First, back up your apps using the App Backup tool that came with your tablet. Back up these files and any other files (photos, movies, documents, etc.) to either cloud, USB, PC, Network storage location.

Unlock the bootloader using the unlock tool on the Asus TF300T Support site.

Install ClockWorkMod Recovery.

Download either the US or the WW version of the TF300T ROM from the Asus Support site.
    Unzip the file once (it will still be a .zip)

Flash this .zip using CWM:
    Boot to RCK
    Wipe Cache
    Advanced - Wipe Davlik Cache
    Install .zip from SD Card - Choose .zip - Yes

Reboot, and you should have a stock WW or US version that has Google apps on it with stock recovery. You will get OTA updates that will install just as if it were stock. The only downfall is you will have voided the warranty to get to this point, so be sure you do not have any dead pixels or other issues with your tablet before embarking on this journey.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    8 times

Re: Rooting: Don't KNOW how to do it, Don't WANT to do it

I'd disagree I think that he should be able to cross flash it to WW firmware without unlocking the boot loader, I think I have read before that someone did it already.

Bill

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Whew. OK, I'm back.

Lots of work and further reading in the last couple of days.
    The required reading links that got autosent to me when I signed up to this forum had a lot of good stuff in 'em btw.
    Esp the Android dictionary and the advice to look up how to UNROOT your device before going ahead and performing the root. Thanks! Luckily it sounds like the TF300's not too difficult to unroot.

You guys suggested some really good stuff and gave me a couple of directions to investigate. Really helpful!

Hey Bill, I searched all over online for a method of cross-flashing without unlocking bootloader, but returned no results. Would have been a good one though, if possible. It sounds like once it's unlocked, there's no relocking it, huh? For now I'm going work under the assumption that I've got to unlock it.

Based on the methods and links posted by Janner and Frederuco I've got a basic working picture of how this could go down, with a few nitpicky questions that mainly just reflect my general Android idiocy.

#1 Don't update to Jelly Bean first... right? Should I update to the Chinese version of Jelly Bean and then go ahead as planned, or is that redundant because with this procedure I'm flashing to WW Jelly Bean anyway?

#2 Back up, first and foremost. Start from fully charged. Turn off Asus Sync and AVG; allow unknown sources and USB debugging.

I'm not too well versed on Android back ups. I get that the best ones aren't available until after unlocking, but Frederuco said just to use the App Backup that came preinstalled. Will that back up everything?

I'm thinking I need a good recovery option for the bootloader & OS (most importantly), and my files and apps too (of which I've installed so few anyway because I can't access marketplace).

Also, where should I store these back ups? On the internal SD, a micro SD, my PC, or all three? PS sorry for the annoying rhyme :P

#3 Download the WW version of Jelly Bean (Version V10.4.2.13, Description ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T Firmware: V10.4.2.13 Only for WW SKU (Android 4.1 Jelly Bean))
    from the Asus website ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

***Is this the correct file?*** The AsusTek site lists it just as an update.., is that ok??

And put the unzipped file onto the root file of a micro SD card.

#4 Download/install/run Asus bootloader unlock tool http://support.asus.com/download.asp...2B3oq64av1O95u (based on Frederuco's suggestion)

OR the 1 step root tool on xda developers forums [TOOL]"1-Click Transformer Root"-Root/Unroot/cwm/stock rec-TF101(G)/201/300T(G)/SL101 - xda-developers (this is based on Janner's suggestion)

PS Janner, looking at the process from the guy who modded his Infinity, it sounds like he had quite a bit of trial and error getting the 101 rules to work on the 700... might be a bit out of my league trying to figure it out for the TF300... Thanks though. BTW Sheldon, Big Bang Theory is very popular in Shanghai, loads of my Chinese friends are crazy for it. Not sure how much of the innuendo they pick up on though....

Either way, they are zip files which I have to unzip and stick on the root file a micro SD which I will put into my TF300 while rooting it.
    Is one tool better or easier to use than the other, or are they essentially the same thing? It sounds like they pretty much do everything themselves or have click by click instructions?

After this I will have and unlocked rooted device, right? Then I can carry on to install the new ROM. At this point I will also have left my device open to security risks from apps with weird permissions, and put myself in a position of potentially being able to brick the thing.

#5 And here's where it gets dangerous, sounds like...

With Janner's method I can simply run the rooting tool, "select option 2" whatever it happens to be, and the thing'll reboot automatically. Then I simply select to recover from the WW version, which is also on the micro SD card and voila? Done and done? Does that sound too easy somehow?

Or, with Frederuco's method, download and install the Clockwork Mod Recovery app. Can anyone provide a link to the correct version of this for the TF300? The sites that list it assume high technical knowledge, and I'd hate to download and try to install the wrong one!

Flash following Frederuco's instructions... Boot (by holding down volume up and power) to RCK (what's "RCK" again?)
    Wipe the cache and the Davlik (I'm guessing it's just a matter of clicking on these options?).
    Install the WW Jellybean update zip file.
    Boot again, and we're out?

Does all this sound right? I know I'm asking for the minutest details here, not to mention a healthy dose of patience... But thanks for your great help you guys. I'd be lost without it! Also now my brain hurts.

Cheers,

Penny

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2256 times
    Hi Penny

I can't be of much more help to you, not being a "rooter" myself, but what I can say is this.
    One of the "tricks" with Asus firmware is to ensure you are trying to flash a firmware which is newer than your existing one. IE has a higher number in the build no, so I would NOT update your chinese firmware first. In fact I'd go one further than that.

I'd try this trick...
    • Download the chinese firmware from Asus on your PC. Unzip it once to reveal the name of the file you would then copy to a microSD if you were going to do a manual update
    • Download the WW version from Asus on your PC. Unzip it once & then rename that file to exactly match the chinese filename
    • Pop that renamed file onto a microSD , put it into your tf & switch on. With luck, as a newer firmware version with the correct name it might just work & update your firmware from chinese to WW

Do it at you own risk, of course.

As far as backup goes, once you have rooted you can do a full backup with Titanium Backup - that one seems to be the standard
    Last edited by janner43; 09-26-2012 at 05:14 AM.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    465 times
    Switching between the various firmwares (US, WW, CN, etc.) does not require rooting. It is as easy as saying to yourself 1 2 3. Please do not make the procedure more complicated than it should.

Added by edit.

(1) Download the latest firmware of whatever rom you want. In your case, probably WW version.

(2) Unzip once. Inside you should find another zip file.

(3) Rename that zip file to EP300_SDUPDATE.zip

(4) Put this new zip file in the root of a micro-sdcard.

(5) Turn your TF off.

(6) Power on by pressing and holding the power and volume down buttons at the same time.

(7) Once you see some texts on the upper left hand corner of the tablet, release the buttons and immediately press the volume up button.

(8) Watch your tablet update itself to the new firmware.
    Last edited by goodintentions; 09-30-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    BRICKED! But not my fault...

So here's the latest...

I've been holding off on flashing my new TF300, figuring I'd wait a month after purchase just to be reasonably sure I wasn't going to need that warranty. Looks like that was a good call.

I noticed, starting only a few days after purchase, that after waking up my TF300, ie on the password screen, the touchscreen would not respond, meaning I couldn't enter my password and therefore couldn't access any part of the tablet. This happened a handful of times. I looked online and, while not super common, found it was not an isolated event. Several people posted the same problem, and most ended up needing to have their machine replaced.

At first, restarting the tablet was enough to reset the touchscreen. After a few times that didn't work any more, but cold booting it did the trick. Still, totally not cool. Who wants to have to cold boot their tablet when trying to share something with friends? Too much fodder for the ipad crowd. As of three days ago, that's not working now either. No matter how I restart, cold boot, or go into recovery mode, it's no go. It just returns to the password screen and I'm stuck there. Also, I can't even access any of my files by connecting to my PC, I assume because it's password protected and I've no way of entering that password. AKA it's a brick.

As of now I'm going through the warranty process. I'm not anticipating any trouble with this, the company I bought it from has a good reputation and the machine is still stock. That said, this IS China... After I get my new one I will, again, wait a month to make sure she runs right, and then I will go about changing the firmware, trying the easiest method first.

It looks like Jeffery's suggestion is the most straightforward, so I'll start there. Thanks, Jeffery!

Have you guys all updated to Jellybean yet? I hear it's pretty good, but is the no flashplayer thing a problem in practice? Not that the silly thing doesn't crash every 5 minutes anyway and good riddance, but it's still pretty widespread. That's the only thing that holds me back. Although I've heard you can sideload flashplayer... how hard can that be? lol

Is it possible to flash FROM one version of ICS to another using Jeffery's method, or does it have to be an upgrade? Also, can you go back to ICS if JB doesn't feel right?

Cheers All,

Penny.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads