Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

GPS issue

Hi folks!!!

Well,this my story.I got a tf300t on ebay with cm10 JB.It's clearly a custom ROM.
    In general is working good.The only issue is a non working GPS.Member Betcalf
    told me in another post that as far as he know GPS function doesn't work on
    custom ROM on any transformer tablet.So my only options are to wait for a JB
    release fron Asus or go back to ICS.The screen shows "the device is unlocked" in the
    upper left.It came with ROM manager,file manager,superuser.I'm a newbie on this
    but i assume that is rooted.My question is if i can load a stock ROM ICS from Asus
    an reload it with ROM manager or i need to do something else,also will like to
    backup the one installed.Another concern is if i need to load the ROM in the
    tablet mem(32G) or need an external sd card.Help welcome!!!!

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Ok, so yes, the tablet is rooted and unlocked(which means warranty broken as well). As you have a custom ROM on the tablet that also means that you have a custom recovery, probably CWM (ClockWorkMod) recovery. I will list out below exactly how to go back to stock if you want(you can use stock zip file from the ASUS website, if you are in the US I would use the US version, if you are anywhere else, I would use the WW version, also needs to be unzipped one time, there is a zip inside a zip), getting back to a custom ROM is a little more difficult, but we will get to that.

1. Back up all info you don't want to lose (spreadsheets, videos, photos etc)
    2. Download ROM you want to flash (huge list and good info HERE) and move it to your internal memory outside all folders.
    2. Power off tablet
    3. Power on by holding volume down+power, when you see white lettering in the upper left, press volume up within 5 seconds
    4. Use arrow keys to navigate to backup - restore
    5. Choose the backup option - wait for it, it takes a while
    6. Back to main menu of recovery and select wipe data/factory reset
    7. Wipe Cache
    8. Advanced > wipe delvik
    9. back to main and select install zip from SDcard (what they call internal memory for some reason)
    10. Choose zip from SDcard (if there are 2 choices choose the internal since that is where we put the new ROM zip file)
    11. Select your ROM and flash.

If you used the zip file from the Asus site, you will now be fully stock (bootloader still unlocked though, can't fix that) I also believe you will never get any over the air updates with the bootloader unlocked. If you chose a custom ICS ROM you will need to install the gapps package, usually will be specified on the ROM's page of XDA (the link above for ROM info). You install that by repeating #10 above, but selecting the gapps file (don't need to wipe data or anything). I recommend going with a custom ROM if you think you will ever want to go back to custom ROM, the factory ROM will remove your custom recovery and make getting back a little more involved, if you use a custom ROM, you can just repeat this process anytime you want to change ROM's.

I think that's all, let me know if you have any other questions. I'm going to move this to development.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bfmetcalf View Post
    Ok, so yes, the tablet is rooted and unlocked(which means warranty broken as well). As you have a custom ROM on the tablet that also means that you have a custom recovery, probably CWM (ClockWorkMod) recovery. I will list out below exactly how to go back to stock if you want(you can use stock zip file from the ASUS website, if you are in the US I would use the US version, if you are anywhere else, I would use the WW version, also needs to be unzipped one time, there is a zip inside a zip), getting back to a custom ROM is a little more difficult, but we will get to that.

1. Back up all info you don't want to lose (spreadsheets, videos, photos etc)
    2. Download ROM you want to flash (huge list and good info HERE) and move it to your internal memory outside all folders.
    2. Power off tablet
    3. Power on by holding volume down+power, when you see white lettering in the upper left, press volume up within 5 seconds
    4. Use arrow keys to navigate to backup - restore
    5. Choose the backup option - wait for it, it takes a while
    6. Back to main menu of recovery and select wipe data/factory reset
    7. Wipe Cache
    8. Advanced > wipe delvik
    9. back to main and select install zip from SDcard (what they call internal memory for some reason)
    10. Choose zip from SDcard (if there are 2 choices choose the internal since that is where we put the new ROM zip file)
    11. Select your ROM and flash.

If you used the zip file from the Asus site, you will now be fully stock (bootloader still unlocked though, can't fix that) I also believe you will never get any over the air updates with the bootloader unlocked. If you chose a custom ICS ROM you will need to install the gapps package, usually will be specified on the ROM's page of XDA (the link above for ROM info). You install that by repeating #10 above, but selecting the gapps file (don't need to wipe data or anything). I recommend going with a custom ROM if you think you will ever want to go back to custom ROM, the factory ROM will remove your custom recovery and make getting back a little more involved, if you use a custom ROM, you can just repeat this process anytime you want to change ROM's.

I think that's all, let me know if you have any other questions. I'm going to move this to development.
    Awesome info!!! one last question.If i flash the stock ROM or firmware from Asus,do ihave to flash the kernel?

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Nope, if you flash the stock ROM from ASUS it will install the kernel and all, you will have a completely factory tablet, with factory kernel, recovery and ROM.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bfmetcalf View Post
    Nope, if you flash the stock ROM from ASUS it will install the kernel and all, you will have a completely factory tablet, with factory kernel, recovery and ROM.
    Thanks for your help!!! Today i downloaded to my tablet JB 4.1. from Asus.Do i need to load Asus ICS before
    upgrading to Asus JB 4.1? Do the steps that you post works the same for JB?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links