Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2274 times

Lightbulb Rooting & ROMing on the tf300 - yes, no, maybe & why

Sometimes it can be tricky to find information on a subject like this that is reliable. Well, the Transformer range of tablets has now been around long enough for a good, reliable body of opinion to be available for you to consider.

If you are new to android & have a shiny, new tf300 then you *may* be considering "rooting". Or you may be asking "what is rooting?" That last question is straightforward. Rooting simply means getting full administrative access to all the files, folders & content of an android device thereby gaining total control of your device. But, do you need to? Do you have to? Or are you better off "leaving well alone"

This thread will try to answer these sort of questions...

Firstly, let me quote a senior member of the forum moderating team & provide a link to a thread which you really must read if you are interested in this subject...

Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    There have been quite a few posts recently from member who have rooted their Transformers. The vast majority of those posts were because they had a problem related to rooting. Many of those problems were just that, problems.

Some of those who rooted found they couldn't get firmware updates. This may indicate that not enough research was done before rooting their device, mostly due to issues with later hardware versions of their Transformers.

It seems that some people feel that rooting is a must. Consider these points:

1. Ask yourself if there really is a good reason to root. Is there a must have app that won't install without a root?

2. Many have, in the past, determined they needed to root in order to backup, (Titanium Backup). I feel that ASUS wisely included an app that took care of that in order to reduce the possibility of rooting related problems.

3. Consider that the FW updates from ASUS have added value (AppBackup, SuperNote for example) that may reduce the need to root. I'm not even addressing custom ROMs. These value added apps and tweaks may have negated the original reason for the root so patience may pay off.

4. Consider ICS (nuff said)

5. Rooting has become a big part of the developers discussions but many of the posts are about a root that went wrong or messed with an update. I do feel for people who in some cases, at least temporarily, bricked their Transformers but keep that in mind

I'm not recommending for or against rooting here but you should really consider why you want to root, have a good reason, and do your due diligence research before jumping into a potential quick sand pit.

WHY? should be the first thing you ask.
    That is the opening post in the excellent thread found here... http://www.transformerforums.com/for...maybe-why.html

Another reason why folks want to root is to use custom ROMs. Some users are never happier than when they have a custom ROM - especially if it is overclocked & they have a great time tweaking & experimenting & generally enjoying a harmless hobby. Good for them

Should *you* do this too? Well, that choice is down to you, but if you do, remember that you have at least the potential to "brick", ie effectively ruin, your new device. So be sure you know what you are doing first You might also want to consider the thoughts in this thread which I started prior to becoming a moderator on this forum. You don't have to agree with the thoughts, but I feel they are valid & worthy of consideration http://www.transformerforums.com/for...stom-roms.html

Over to you... It is your contributions to this thread that will make it an invaluable resource for other users.
    scottporter and Apocatarsis like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    76 times
    Thanks for this, im certainly unsure, i was considering overclocking my new tf700 when i get it but 1.6ghz quad is more than enough, i think ill leave mine, i didnt actuslly know that it was something that was risky

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The reasons I do not root are because the stock ICS provided by ASUS is quite great and their firmware updates are very frequent. Besides a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod might not be able to access the special keyboard that makes the ASUS such an attractive device. My "older" TF101 with its 2 USB ports and 2 (micro)SD slots makes it truly a storage hub. Apple is very much unable to do that, perhaps a little with portable storage units on WiFi that costs you a lot. Even the later Transformers do only have 1 USB port?

I rooted my Samsung Galaxy S with Cyanogenmod 9, which runs really great, because Samsung does not support newer firmwares on this device. That makes the option for rooting more viable. Actual rooting and installing the ROM was much smoother that I expected.

So, my take on the matter of rooting is if it has greater function than the stock firmware, then yes rooting is nice option. But be careful with bricking your device indeed.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DingieM View Post
    The reasons I do not root are because the stock ICS provided by ASUS is quite great and their firmware updates are very frequent. Besides a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod might not be able to access the special keyboard that makes the ASUS such an attractive device. My "older" TF101 with its 2 USB ports and 2 (micro)SD slots makes it truly a storage hub. Apple is very much unable to do that, perhaps a little with portable storage units on WiFi that costs you a lot. Even the later Transformers do only have 1 USB port?

I rooted my Samsung Galaxy S with Cyanogenmod 9, which runs really great, because Samsung does not support newer firmwares on this device. That makes the option for rooting more viable. Actual rooting and installing the ROM was much smoother that I expected.

So, my take on the matter of rooting is if it has greater function than the stock firmware, then yes rooting is nice option. But be careful with bricking your device indeed.
    You can do root and keep getting OTA updates, there's no need to add a custom rom. With root you can tweak the system and get apps that are root-only (e.g. Sixaxis Controller). The actual rooting is pretty harmless and you won't brick your device, what you do after rooting that is another story. Rooting can help maximize battery life, tweaking clock steppings (underclocking when needed, etc.). Also, if we ever get an unlock bootloader bricking will be a thing of the past.

But don't go changing system files without consent of experienced devs, I have seen a lot of people brick their devices trying to edit their build.prop without proper knowledge. Here's a cool tweak posted on XDA for rooted users

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    0 times
    I just got the TF300 so normally find out what the status of root is and whether the boot loader is locked and if a custom recovery can be installed. Not because I want to immediately root the device but more to find out the current sum total picture of development on the tablet. My previous tablet, a Motorola Xoom wifi went unrooted until I bought the TF300 and then I decided to remove the original Moto ICS ROM and install an EOS ROM which removed some of the bloatware which I felt added no value whatsoever to the mix. This may not be the case with the added software Asus provides which I now need to explore a bit.

My main point here is choice though. Having the choice does not mean you have to do it. I enjoyed the Xoom for a year without rooting and I traveled internationally, truly used it as a laptop replacement, installed many an application on it. Now with the TF300, choice is also a nice thing to have but I understand that the boot loader is locked so while we could get root there is currently no way to install a custom recovery. What I can see after using the TF300 for about a week, its a worthy device on its own and it will serve me well unrooted and without installing a custom ROM. I may replace it down the road with another Asus higher end tablet when I see the comparisons and releases.

I want to raise one point on the included software which I have considered a few times. I wish that the vendors would provide an "opt in" method where on first boot you have the choice of installing the set of software which is included instead of just assuming you want it all. Secondarily, having a choice on the boot loader may mean something as simple as what the Google Nexus One and my Galaxy Nexus did. Want it? Here's the risks of what you want. Still want it? Okay.

In the end, either having root or not will not affect the quality of my use. I will use the TF300 until some end point where I decide to take an action of replacement or when things change and the boot loader is unlocked by some enterprising developer or by Asus and then root will mean something and I will study how its obtained, what it means for how I use the tablet, and whether I will apply the fix. On the Xoom, it means wiping out the existing software as an initial step but they give you the option on the device of choosing it.

That's what I am really after here. I'm after choice.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    0 times
    While I have been an Android user for a couple years.... this is my first tablet. I have owned several Android based phones and have enjoyed both stock Android and rooting. I feel that once the 300 has stable root I will be there. Having played with everything since Cupcake, I have learned that there are defiantly pros and cons to rooting. Truly it is a 'to each his/her own' and once it has been learned.... it's never ending. A suggestion I might make is for those interested, or thinking about, rooting to purchase a used android phone and experiment. A Android phone w/ gingerbread can be had on eBay for as little as $45-$50 (a pittance compared to our tablets)

I am awaiting stability in the rooting process to make the tablet work to it's capabilities. So have fun and enjoy your tablet... and that's my 2 cents
    Last edited by Tomween1; 05-15-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all. Does anyone know if rooting / installing a custom ROM will remove the MTP mode on the Asus TF300T?

I really love how my first two Android phones (HTC Magic and then HTC Desire HD - which I still use) have USB Mass Storage mode. Both had this before I rooted them. For those who don't know, an iPod, iPhone, iPad are good examples of MTP mode devices. They require iTunes to connect to a computer and transfer files. A USB external HDD is a good example of a Mass Storage device. You plug the sucker in and you don't have to install any software to use with the computer. Technically Windows or OSX will have the drivers already, but no second-party software is required.

I didn't have to install anything for my TF300T, BUT it uses MTP mode, which means I cannot use it on the Mac I use at work, because I don't have admin access to install whatever it is I need to install. My HTC Desire HD doesn't have this problem.

Anyways, I'm just curious about the MTP mode in regards to rooting / installing a ROM. Any one who has rooted and / or installed a ROM please let me know! In particular, if you go to Settings > Storage, tap menu, go to USB Computer Connection, can you tell me what options you have? Be default the TF300T has MTP and PTP.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1045 times
    Hi. Just curious, I checked the settings on my TF101 and this is a screenshot - there's a comment about using Android File Transfer on Mac...

Last edited by Swipe; 07-24-2012 at 05:30 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Are you rooted?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1045 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dgriffiths View Post
    Are you rooted?
    No, I'm not rooted. I have a TF101 and thought I'd see what my device settings say. Maybe the TF300 is different in this regard [ Firmware? ]

From android.com/filetransfer :

Last edited by Swipe; 07-24-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads