Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Smile Solar charger question for a techno-type - & update

I am a total technodino, so I´d really appreciate it if someone could tell me if the charger below would work on my Asus tablet. I´ve used a smaller solar charger in the past and it´s great for my cell phone, handlebar speaker and other small items that I use on bike tours. Since I´ll be doing a lot of camping on my upcoming tour, I want to be sure that my tablet is good to go. I love this tablet! It´s my e-reader, camera, web connection, etc, etc, and having all of those in one saves me a HUGE amount of weight...very important when traveling long distance on a bike. My fear is that I might do something stupid and hear a "Bang!" if I connect it where I shouldn´t. BIG thanks in advance, here are the specs (the item came from Ebay):

Solar charger 200000mAh solar power bank and portable solar battery for iPhone/samsung/iPad/Camera/MP3/MP4/Game player

Product Features:

1. This product is a multi-function solar emergency charger.2 USB port can Power for two devices simultaneously
    2. Meet an emergency: When you go to outside or power cuts, you also can use your mobile phone with solar energy.
    3. Convenience: Whenever and wherever you are, you can charge your mobile phone in time, and you could talk with others when charging.
    4. Environment protect, save resource: You can use solar energy to charge your mobile phone wherever and whenever.
    5. Exquisite workmanship, high-capacity
    6. Solar efficient charging
    7. Multi - voltage mode, extensive support for laptop and mobile digital devices
    8. Multiple intelligent security protection: over current, overvoltage, overload and short circuit protection
    9. LED remaining power smart tips
    10.Capacity: 100000mAh,80000mAh
    11. Input: DC 5V 1.0A (max)
    12. Output: DC 5.0V 2.1A (max)
    13. Solar panel: 1.5W
    14. The battery indicator: 4-LED indicate (charging, full of bright blue light)
    15. Connectors for mobile phone:iPhone /samsung /iPad/ Camera /MP3/ MP4/ Game player

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    12. Output: DC 5.0V 2.1A (max)
    That is the reason no solar charger I'm aware of will work. Optimal output is 15.0v. I suggest getting an inverter for your 12v output in a vehicle's cigarette lighter. They are pretty inexpensive.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Oops, I should have been more specific...it´s a bicycle, not a motorcycle. So, I guess I need to go for an external battery or something similar. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Last edited by dengidog; 06-01-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    AFIK you're still going to be stuck. External battery packs (juice packs), don't work either. You nay just need to find someone's AC they'll let you bum off of along the way. Fortunately it doesn't take all that long to charge.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    I think you´re right and you answered my other question about external battery packs (you´re psychic!). Oh well, at least the ones I have will charge my small devices. Thanks!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dengidog View Post
    Solar charger 200000mAh solar power bank
    Are you sure that's a 200K? Maybe it is a 20K?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by christoi View Post
    Are you sure that's a 200K? Maybe it is a 20K?

No, it´s a 200k. Heck, they even go up to 600k if you look hard enough...although I´d hate to see how long it would take to charge it.

OK, I know this is wishful thinking and a final gasp of desperation on my part, but what about the following:

High Capacity Solar Panel Multi-Voltage (5V 12V 16V 19V) Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank With LED Flashlight for Tablet PC, Netbooks, Notebooks, Laptops, Compatible with Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Toshiba Notebooks, iPads, iPhone 5S 5C 5 4S 4(Apple Adapters Not Included), Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Note 3 S5 S4 S3, Android Phones, Android Tablets and More Other Devices

•Solar energy technology, enviromental friendly and will not have to worry about your device run out of source anymore when outside.
    •Monster capacity of 23000mAh; Provides 1 DC output for your laptop, and 1 USB port for 5V USB-charged devices.
    •Various connectors cover major types of laptops and cell phones on the market, DC and USB outputs for charging a laptop and 1 5V USB-charged device simultaneously, adjustable 3 voltage levels (12V/16V/19V) suiting your needs for different laptop models.
    •4 LED indicators makes it easy to know how much source you've got, it will automatically shut down after 30 seconds if no device is connected.
    •Package Includes: 1*Poweradd Apollo Pro solar charger / 3*mobile phone connectors / 10*notebook connector / 1*Micro USB cable / 1*DC cable / 1*AC Adapter / 1*User manual
    Last edited by dengidog; 06-01-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    27 times
    Woah, didn't know they even existed!
    My 2A 5V samsung note charger wont even make my prime think that it's charging :/
    Maybe this can help
    since i haven't found a single powerbank with its 12-15-24V output as usb.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Convoluted at best but does look like it would work. Still slower than my charger.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Christoi: thanks so much for that video! I´m so psyched that there is another method available. The video was perfect for me because it´s almost dummy(me)-proof. When you see something, it stays with you. So, if the charger doesn´t work out, I´ll just pick up the Anker battery + the adapter. While on the road, I know the odds are that I´ll usually be able to find an outlet, but there was a time when I was in the middle of nowhere and the battery was getting low. Since I like to read (a lot) at night and take a lot of photos, the tablet was getting drained. It really limited me.

Leeshor: again, big thanks for everything. I really appreciate your swift responses. I have 2 solar chargers coming that claim to be multivoltage, but.... At any rate, I´ll let you know how they work out (it´ll be a while since the mail service to Mexico is sloooooow). If nothing else, they´ll be really handy for other things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links