Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times

Asus Connect Dock

Just bought the Connect Dock. I'm too cheap to buy the keyboard dock, this is half the price. It does not have a battery in it, it charges the tablet from your original charger, just has a jack for the charger in the back and the 40-pin plug for the tablet like the keyboard dock has. It also has an ethernet port, two standard USB ports, and a standard 1/8" audio jack, none of which I have yet tried. Some review, huh?

It is about half the size I expected it to be, apparently I didn't read the description very well. The box lists the dimensions as 110x91x19.8 mm, so for us Americans that still live in the stone age, that's about 4 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 3/4 inches, or about half the length of the tablet. This allows the tab to teeter a bit, but does not seem to make it dangerously unstable. Since it will be a fixture, I'm thinking of a couple pieces of medium-dense foam rubber stuck to the desk to each side of it.

I don't know how I'll end up configuring it, but I have a couple powered USB hubs laying around, so should be able to run external HDDs as well as standard-sized keyboard and mouse. I take a lot of photos so a standard SD card reader is a must-have. (most of my pics aren't very good but I just keep on trying anyway...)

As I said, I haven't actually plugged anything in it yet, but the tablet immediately recognized it as a Connect Dock, and also put up a notification "ethernet port detected", so it looks good for full functionality. Perhaps tomorrow I'll break out some cables and go to work setting it all up. Ultimately I like the idea of being able to cart the tab itself around all day, take pics and notes and such, and get home and plunk it in the dock and sit down to do whatever editing or sharing or whatever might be on, without having to transfer files to the big bad desktop to do it--the TF300 is a powerful enough machine on its own.

So if you're as cheap as I am, or if you need a full-size keyboard to type like I do, or if you just need an ethernet port for your Transformer, go for it! If you can live with the 3/4 keyboard, only need one USB port, want the extra battery life, don't want to use an external card reader, or if you just like the looks of the keyboard dock, get that. By the time I add up the Connect Dock, keyboard, SD card reader, and whatever cables (and two pieces of foam rubber) I'm probably over $100 anyway; search hard enough and you can find a refurb keyboard dock for that.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    27 times
    So keyboard for mobility (closer to a notebook), this dock for extensibility (closer to a pc).

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    For mobility, I have a cheap Bluetooth keyboard/case combo. Works well, but the flat keys with no space between them makes it impossible for me to touch-type. YMMV of course!

Edit: just aquired a TF700. This dock is plug-&-play compatible with both tablets.
    Last edited by Kevinthefixer; 06-26-2014 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Added info

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links