Thread: 40 pin ASUS to USB Adapter

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    98 times
    Just did a search at XDA and found this pic of the internals of the stock USB dongle. Definitely some circuitry involved.

img0072e.jpg

One tinkerer reported that the output "hosting" voltage at the 40 pin is 10VDC and the dongle regulates it down to 5V. Not sure my geriatric fingers could readily remove the 40 pin connector on the dongle board and successfully solder a cable in its place.

Will just have to wait for a younger, more nimble person to build these "to order".
    janner43 likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    It doesn't work - this sort of thing was tried by lots & lots of folks back in May-June 2011 when the tf101 came out - the 40 pins connection is identical across the TF range.

Don't waste your time or money...
    I believe you'll find that the 40-pin connector contains both a USB3.0 slave port for charging and PC connection duties, and a USB2.0 host port for things like the USB adaptor and the ports on the dock. USB3.0 allows for the higher voltages and currents that the TF series can draw when charging, but since it isn't a host port the gender-changer won't do anything useful.

tmc
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    Connecting a usb 3.0 hub to the type-a port on the dock seems a better solution to me.. although for the right price, I'd buy a 40-pin to y-split type-a cables.. for charging AND connecting up some usb peripheral while charging.. if I read it right was the intention of the OP...

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc View Post
    Connecting a usb 3.0 hub to the type-a port on the dock seems a better solution to me.. although for the right price, I'd buy a 40-pin to y-split type-a cables.. for charging AND connecting up some usb peripheral while charging.. if I read it right was the intention of the OP...
    Original query pertained to being able to have a USB port on the tablet alone without the awarkward "box" connector protruding from the tablet. For example, Motorola provides this for their XOOM tablets by putting an SD card reader at the end of a short length of cable. The net result is less awkward, and avoides twisting forces on the tablet when a card is inserted or removed.

I have an ASUS USB "box" and a nice iodata card reader which function just fine, but the resulting christmas tree protruding from the top of the tablet is less than edifying.

Even a short 40 pin M to 40 pin F "extension cable" would work, especially if the M end were "low profile" and right angle cable exit, as is done with a variety of micro USB cables. Then the USB "box" converter could be plugged into the F end of the cable.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator47 View Post
    Even a short 40 pin M to 40 pin F "extension cable" would work, especially if the M end were "low profile" and right angle cable exit, as is done with a variety of micro USB cables.
    This is what I want so I can throw my keyboard in the back seat of the airplane and use it as an additional battery for the pad, except I need it to be 4 to 6 feet long.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    hello,

i'm new TF700 user
    and i'm happy to see that i'm not the only one that looking for this cable

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Ohhh... It looks bad. I want to reassemble it with a dongle but it looks impossible
    Hmm, moment. But I think asus con
    Last edited by aleXka; 01-17-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

I think you refer to an OTG (on the go) adapter that actually converts the TFxxx 40 pin conn into a master USB enabling it to connect to several USB devices (mouse, card reader) even by using a usb hub. an EXT USB HDD will probably not work as it draws too much current.

I have bought one from EBAY (10-14 USD) but so far never tried it

Elirr

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    8 times
    The port on the TF series is not technically USB-OTG. OTG is a single port with only 4 conductors,and the adapter is wired in such a way to signal the device to activate host mode; without the adapter the port is a standard slave port. The TF series actually contains the wiring for 2 separate ports in the 40-pin connector, along with a few other interesting things. The charge cable exposes the standard slave port when connected to a PC or other host device, while that adapter is required to expose the USB host interface. The difference is that in the dock, both can technically be active at the same time, while USB-OTG with it's single set of conductors allows only one or the other at a time.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't know how use it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads