Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    8 times

Need help finding a battery charger/back up for TF 300/Droid Raz/Verizon hotspot etc

I am sure the docking keyboard would be wonderful for the TF300-- but I want a tablet not a laptop--so do not want to go that route. I have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and they work just fine. Even if I got the docking station, it would not recharge my phone, etc. Does anyone have an idea of what I can use to charge all my toys?

Also, I think that the charger and cable supplied for the TF300 are the only ones that will work with the TF 300.
    I have this-from Amazon-KHOMO: Pack of 2pcs Super Long 6ft (SIX Feet!) USB Data Charging Cable for Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF101 TF201 (High Quality Rubberized Cable, not cheap Plastic)

Either my cable is bad or Asus wants us to only by theirs. ( And does this mean that there is no charger other than the 300 docking station that will charge the 300?
    Help requested. !!

TF 300
    & a Droid Razor Maxxx
    & a Verizon hotspot
    Kindle Fire and two Keyboard Kindles
    And biggggg laptops that probably would need a wall plug

All need to have extra power supply on the go.

Thanks so much
    Lea
    Last edited by Lea; 05-26-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: adding other toys

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Your Asus device requires 15v to correctly charge it's internal 7v battery pack. The normal 5v that most USB chargers deliver is not enough.

However, Asus did something clever (or sneaky if you prefer) and modified their Asus wal-wart charger block-- it puts out 5v to everything plugged into it, except for the official Asus charger cable-- and then it automatically switches to 15v. The Asus cable is really a USB 3.0 cable, and has 9 conductors instead of the USB 2.0 which only has 4. Asus uses the extra contacts to switch the block from 5v to 15v for the tablet.

Short answer: if you only want to carry around one charger for all your toys? You must carry the Asus one-- it'll easily charge the Razor, the hotspot and the Kindles too. But only one at a time, obviously....
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    8 times
    Hi
    Bob!!
    TY for the explanation on the charger. I will admit I usually charge the toys on whatever cable is handy. Maybe not such a good idea?
    I will take your suggestion and get a second one now from Asus.
    Could you suggest what external battery pack might be used to recharge at least some of the toys?
    I guess having back up power for my phone would be my biggest concern. And for GPSs !! I do love toys!! But if out in a kayak or such, might be a good thing to have.
    Lea

And I will learn how to do a signature properly, too.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    The issue with most battery packs (such as Energizer Energi to Go) is that they restrict USB to 5 VDC. I know some users who have made custom cords for a battery pack like that to give 12-15 VDC to a USB port to charge the TF devices.

Here are some threads on it:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...h-user-go.html

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tery-else.html

Any battery backups compatible?

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    8 times
    Thanks Fred for the links. That Sherpa battery pack would be interesting!!
    Before I jump the gun on power for the TF300 I think I will actually power it up to full- 100% then see how long it lasts before it fades away.
    Lots of good suggestions. And I know the Droid Razor XX is supposed to last long time. I just get nervous and would like to know for sure I can power up when I don't have shore power.
    I have a friend that might be able to make me a "User on the Go" ---for the tablet.
    Thanks again
    Lea

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    0 times

external battery option

Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Thanks Fred for the links. That Sherpa battery pack would be interesting!!
    Before I jump the gun on power for the TF300 I think I will actually power it up to full- 100% then see how long it lasts before it fades away.
    Lots of good suggestions. And I know the Droid Razor XX is supposed to last long time. I just get nervous and would like to know for sure I can power up when I don't have shore power.
    I have a friend that might be able to make me a "User on the Go" ---for the tablet.
    Thanks again
    Lea
    I saw this device as an external battery option for the Transformer, the only one I found other than that solar one...
    V60 Universal Laptop Battery
    This claims to come with this adapter for a female USB at 12V.
    Adapters, AC and DC Chargers, Cables and Connectors scroll down to the Asus Transformer adapter

Does anyone know if this will work? I'm not confident in opening up electronic parts or soldering them together. Furthermore because I'm taking this onboard an airplane, some users have suggested that home-made electronic parts may give me trouble with the TSA. Any thoughts?

It's more expensive than I'd like to pay but.... don't see any other options at this point...

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links