Thread: Help: T200TA charges but no power on

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    1 times

Help: T200TA charges but no power on

Hi there, sorry to start yet another no power, flashing led thread, I have read as many as I could in addition to googling before opting to start a new thread here. Some of my symptoms are not quite touched on in the other threads either.

So I have a T200TA that a friend traded to me in place of my Alienware M14x R2. I have had it for about six months now with my real issues running Windows 10 Insider for most of that time. About two weeks ago, I had it running Windows Updates. It did it task, completed, rebooted, finished up, and was back to desktop, checked for updates again, found some more, rinse and repeat, and on reboot, it went straight into the efi bios after failing to find either the hard drive or boot loader. Regardless of anything I tried from save/exit->reboot to loading optimized defaults, etc, it would just keep on auto lopping back into bios. Having seen similar stuff before with other hardware, I forced a power off, and back on as a last step before presuming corrupt Windows boot loader, and after forcing it off with holding the power button down for greater then ten seconds, it would not power back on.

It had between forty and fifty percent of battery life left at that point. If I plug it in with the original factory issued charger, most times I'll get a solid orange/amber charging led for anywhere from forty minutes to an hour and a half before it will go solid white. Trying to power on with it in amber or white led showing status just yields a flashing trouble code of:

Orange-white-orange-white-orange-white-white-white-white

Powering on with the battery being the only source of power, yields four white flashes.

I have tried the various power button combinations including power+win, and power+vol down. Have read that power+vol up could have placed it into an nvflash mode, but I don't think that's the case here. I have popped the back cover off, all flexible pcb's are seated correctly, have disconnected the battery greater than an hour. Took a multimeter and confirmed my voltages at the DC in socket, and mini USB socket. Followed the traces and confirmed power is going to the battery, and the battery itself is outputting voltage when it was disconnected. Oddly we couldn't find 5v standby anywhere even at the mini USB port with and without nothing connected to it.

Also, I have no backlights of any kind, nothing on screen of any kind. No empty battery pictures, no Asus logos, no way too get back into bios. Just the flashing led indicator. Sometimes the web cam led will light up very briefly while trying to power on but it doesn't last long. I have noticed that the motherboard is outputting heat through the case if I tried to turn it on and after failing to do so, set it aside to come back to. This is applicable without it being plugged in, so the battery is keeping it alive after flashing the led by the power button.

No warranty. No service manual. No schematic. And to throw salt on the wound, I barely get to use my primary machine for researching the problem since my seven year old daughter discovered Minecraft and Counter Strike GO. Lol. So I'm having to live off my Nexus 5 and other legacy machines till I get this Transformer back up and running.

Is anyone able to offer help, or advise, it make a suggestion or anything based off what I have listed here this far?

I don't think I missed anything, data recovery is a non issue. Had keyboard dock connected when bios lopping happened. Have tried everything above with and without dock connected too. And apologies for any wrong words or typos. I blame the Google keyboard word replacement as it's been buggy and unreliable since Android Marshmallow came out in my opinion. I have tried to fix it's mistakes as I typed but may have missed the odd word or lots. Thanks in advance and sorry for a long post.

Regards.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2824 times
    Welcome

From what you have described and the steps you have taken I think your device is toast... sorry about that, but if a disconnect of the battery didn't fix it, then I don't know what will.

The only one thing I can offer is that IF you could get it to boot from an external source - perhaps a Linux distro - you MIGHT be able to rebuild it from scratch, but I doubt it somehow...

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Welcome

From what you have described and the steps you have taken I think your device is toast... sorry about that, but if a disconnect of the battery didn't fix it, then I don't know what will.

The only one thing I can offer is that IF you could get it to boot from an external source - perhaps a Linux distro - you MIGHT be able to rebuild it from scratch, but I doubt it somehow...
    Thanks for the reply, janner43, are you perhaps suggesting that you suspect that maybe the machine's inability to boot is due to the extensive firmware interface not being able to recognize the eMMC thus inducing the trouble code that blocks it from posting, and that attempting an alternate boot media with a distro of some kind on it might suggest different results in theory however improbable? It does make some sense. My brother suspects the motherboard is toast too, but my instincts and experience tell me other wise. I have been trying to trickle charge it every second my Nexus didn't need the charger and did notice the one time I went to grab the tablet that it had a slow paced flashing orange led which if I am not mistaken, may suggest hibernation or standby modes, but I have tried the button combinations again, and no luck powering on yet.

If in fact the eMMC did fail, it does seem feasible as I was running Windows 10 Insider on Fast Track, and it may have corrupted the bootloader, or altered the physical addressing of the eMMC so that the BIOS/EFI could not map too it to hand off. That would explain the bios looping. After that - as for why it won't power back on, without having a legend or map of all the possible LED indicators and meanings, we can only speculate what would happen. NVFlash mode being triggered seemed feasible as well, but then I should be able to exit out of it also, unless something was over written. These tablet's do use .wim compressed images from factory, but to my knowledge, the EFI and BIOS are not apart of that image. I have yet to remove the motherboard to check the side facing the back of the LCD for voltages, but I doubt I'll find anything.

I need more coffee-flavored coffee I think.
    janner43 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    1 times
    So a year later - this is still an issue for me - I had this T200TA shelved for a long while - but after a recent victory with another bricked Asus device that was promised to never live again (ZU680KL) - I am revisiting this sick tablet in hopes of eventually finding a cure for cancer. With more troubleshooting - and not re-reading my prior posts - I can say that this tablet is charging. The battery is holding a charge. And it is powering on, with the led next to the camera coming on for a second at best. No backlight or indication of their being anything sent to the screen to tell me it is still powered on except that even running off the battery the motherboard is able to maintain giving off heat for hours on end - suggesting it is powered on from the battery. So this tells me that the issue is either with the motherboard, the GPU, ram, the digitizer, the LVDS cable, or the screen itself. The power led gives off a blink trouble code indicator if anyone can find the technician service manual - the one that should have block diagrams and service details etc that is for internal use only and service centers, it'll likely tell us what the blink code is. Alternates orange->white 4 times, then blinks white 5 times. It's indicating a fault or failure of something specific - I just need to know what so I can replace or diagnose further. And did anyone else notice Asus_USA comments to offer support and reference #'s - but Asus Canada and variant's of Asus around the globe are nowhere to chime in? I'm in western Canada btw Asus if you're reading this!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links