Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    18 times

T100HA Cmos board replacement

I have a bios clock issue where the clock loses time continually. From what I understand this means that the CMOS board is going bad and needs to be replaced. I think I can replace the CMOS board myself. My question is, does the BIOS reside on the CMOS board and if so how do I flash the new CMOS module with the bios to get the tablet working again?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    18 times
    Bump. Anyone?

mc0
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyestargazer View Post
    I have a bios clock issue where the clock loses time continually. From what I understand this means that the CMOS board is going bad and needs to be replaced. I think I can replace the CMOS board myself. My question is, does the BIOS reside on the CMOS board and if so how do I flash the new CMOS module with the bios to get the tablet working again?
    Having this problem too, no solution for you unfortunately. Is that actually its own separate board? I thought that would've been integrated into the mainboard. Also, have you definitively isolated the problem to there? My battery is also bad and I;ve been wondering if that was the source of the problem.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mc0 View Post
    Having this problem too, no solution for you unfortunately. Is that actually its own separate board? I thought that would've been integrated into the mainboard. Also, have you definitively isolated the problem to there? My battery is also bad and I;ve been wondering if that was the source of the problem.
    I don't know for sure. Tech support told me the problem is that the CMOS needs to be replaced. But they wanted $60 just to look at it + $272 to fix it. A new CMOS board costs $10 on ebay so I said no thanks.

Here's a disassembly guide: https://www.how-fixit.com/laptop-rep...0-photo-guide/

mc0
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't know for sure. Tech support told me the problem is that the CMOS needs to be replaced. But they wanted $60 just to look at it + $272 to fix it. A new CMOS board costs $10 on ebay so I said no thanks.

Here's a disassembly guide: https://www.how-fixit.com/laptop-rep...0-photo-guide/
    That guide is for T100T, with a completely different layout than the HA. I can't find any reference to a T100HA CMOS board. And when I opened mine didn't see anything like one, though I didn't go further than taking the back cover off.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    18 times
    That guide is for T100T, with a completely different layout than the HA. I can't find any reference to a T100HA CMOS board. And when I opened mine didn't see anything like one, though I didn't go further than taking the back cover off.
    I haven't opened mine up yet. I assumed that since the title of the guide mentioned the T100HA (ASUS T100 ( T100CHI, T100HA, T100TA, T100TAF, T100TAL, T100TAM, T100TAR ) it would be the same for all those models. But like I said the Asus tech guy said the CMOS needed replaced (although I only have about 50% confidence in that information).

Let's say we do replace the CMOS board. I still am unclear if the BIOS/UEFI resides on the CMOS board and if it would need to be flashed, or how to do that. Do you know?

mc0
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    I haven't opened mine up yet. I assumed that since the title of the guide mentioned the T100HA (ASUS T100 ( T100CHI, T100HA, T100TA, T100TAF, T100TAL, T100TAM, T100TAR ) it would be the same for all those models. But like I said the Asus tech guy said the CMOS needed replaced (although I only have about 50% confidence in that information).

Let's say we do replace the CMOS board. I still am unclear if the BIOS/UEFI resides on the CMOS board and if it would need to be flashed, or how to do that. Do you know?
    I've seen claims for things to apply generally to "T100" before and it's always been wrong. Blame Asus' screwed naming scheme. (They fixed it with the 101/102/103 though.) The HA is a completely different computer than the T series, and the Chi is also it's own separate thing.

Regarding that board, I don't see anything that looks like flash chips on it. Even if the BIOS does live there it would probably already there and anything you'd get would likely be pulled from an otherwise broken unit. So if this board or an equivalent one works, If expect you'd be fine.

However, I believe (though can't be sure without looking further into mine) that you'd need to replace the entire motherboard. Which, with the integrated nature of this system means essentially a new computer, and tend to cost about as much or more as buying a whole new one.
    Last edited by mc0; 12-14-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    18 times
    I've seen claims for things to apply generally to "T100" before and it's always been wrong. Blame Asus' screwed naming scheme. (They fixed it with the 101/102/103 though.) The HA is a completely different computer than the T series, and the Chi is also it's own separate thing.

Regarding that board, I don't see anything that looks like flash chips on it. Even if the BIOS does live there it would probably already there and anything you'd get would likely be pulled from an otherwise broken unit. So if this board or an equivalent one works, If expect you'd be fine.

However, I believe (though can't be sure without looking further into mine) that you'd need to replace the entire motherboard. Which, with the integrated nature of this system means essentially a new computer, and tend to cost about as much or more as buying a whole new one.
    Yeah, if the whole MB needs replaced then that's a deal breaker. That would also explain why the cost of repair I was quoted was so high.

How hard was it to open up the tablet? And how well does it go back together? If there's no point to me opening it up then I won't, but I'd also like to be sure it's not just a module that can be replaced.

mc0
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Opening is pretty easy. The back is just clipped on, though it can be a little tight. You just need to get a thin pry tool in between the black plastic rim and the metal back. From there you can just slide it around or twist a bit if it sticks. I like to start along the top, the go down the side with the USB C port. If you have trouble getting started, try the slots where docking supports go into the base or the spots between the micro USB - HDMI - card slot. From the, it looks like the boards are just screwed in. The battery seems to be glued/taped down pretty solidly, but you don't need to pull it to get at the boards. It goes back together very easily, just put the cover back on and snap it into place.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    18 times
    I opened it up and yeah, it doesn't look anything like in that guide. At this point I'm going to leave well enough alone. Maybe time to give this tablet to my daughter and get a new one for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links