Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

Upgrade to Windows 1709 - no audio, no camera, no touchscreen

Hi All - I'm hoping someone can help me. I have recently upgraded my T100TAM to Windows 1709. It was a problematic upgrade, with all attempts made via Update Assistant failing. Eventually, on the advice of Microsoft Support, I manually updated every driver on the system and did an in-place upgrade (see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-c4baa2a6190a). After a few failed attempts, the 1709 upgrade finally worked. However, the problem is that now I have no audio (except via bluetooth), no touchscreen functionality, and no camera (probably among other - as yet unidentified - problems).

I've tried downloading and installing Realtek drivers from the Asus site, but the thing is that my T100 doesn't seem to even recognize that a sound card is installed. In Device Manager, under 'Sound, Video and Game Controllers' I don't even see Realtek listed - just the drivers for my two bluetooth speakers. Likewise with my touchscreen, I can't see any sign of a touchscreen driver listed.

I'm wondering if the in-place upgrade has erased most of the hardware 'profile' somehow, and the computer now fails to recognize most of the on-board hardware. Maybe it was the manual update of drivers (done though the Device Manager, and each time searching for the latest version on the web)?

I wonder if upgrading the BIOS from T100TAM.205 would be worth a go? I note that the Asus support site lists 400 as the latest (Windows 10-specific) BIOS, but I'm cautioned that a BIOS update is a last resort. Certainly everything worked fine under the earlier Windows (I think 1706).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    152 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDJS View Post
    Hi All - I'm hoping someone can help me. I have recently upgraded my T100TAM to Windows 1709. It was a problematic upgrade, with all attempts made via Update Assistant failing. Eventually, on the advice of Microsoft Support, I manually updated every driver on the system and did an in-place upgrade (see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-c4baa2a6190a). After a few failed attempts, the 1709 upgrade finally worked. However, the problem is that now I have no audio (except via bluetooth), no touchscreen functionality, and no camera (probably among other - as yet unidentified - problems).

I've tried downloading and installing Realtek drivers from the Asus site, but the thing is that my T100 doesn't seem to even recognize that a sound card is installed. In Device Manager, under 'Sound, Video and Game Controllers' I don't even see Realtek listed - just the drivers for my two bluetooth speakers. Likewise with my touchscreen, I can't see any sign of a touchscreen driver listed.

I'm wondering if the in-place upgrade has erased most of the hardware 'profile' somehow, and the computer now fails to recognize most of the on-board hardware. Maybe it was the manual update of drivers (done though the Device Manager, and each time searching for the latest version on the web)?

I wonder if upgrading the BIOS from T100TAM.205 would be worth a go? I note that the Asus support site lists 400 as the latest (Windows 10-specific) BIOS, but I'm cautioned that a BIOS update is a last resort. Certainly everything worked fine under the earlier Windows (I think 1706).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan
    Hi DrDJS,

Thank you for your input. We are sorry to hear of that issue. We recommend that you should roll back to the previous version Windows 1706 and check to see if your system operates as normal. If not, It could be that there is a compatibility issue. What you can try to do is to do a fresh install of that version(1709) of windows and installing the driver from our support site(asus.com/us/support). Also, an update of the bios is a good step as bios helps with with performance of your system and compatibility issues.

Note: If you decide to update the bios, try going in increments.
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for your advice. I was able to revert back to a full-functioning system by reverting to the earlier Windows version and rolling back all the driver changes I made.

So can you clarify what I should do next? I figure I should:

1) Update the BIOS to .400 using WinFlash (not EasyFlash - correct?)
    2) Attempt to use Windows Update Assistant to install 1709.
    3) If that fails, I will try to do an in-place upgrade using Media Creation Tool, which worked last time.
    4) Assuming I get a working upgrade to 1709, I should go to the Asus website to download the drivers.

So - several questions:
    a) Can installation of an upgraded BIOS be undone if it turns out to cause problems?
    b) How exactly do I install drivers I've downloaded? Do I just unzip them and then look for the 'setup.exe' file? This didn't work last time I tried downloading the Realtek drivers.
    c) In what order should I install drivers? I assume that the chipset driver is the top priority, because this will then tell the system what other hardware components there are.
    d) I note that there are only a couple of Windows 10 drivers on the Asus website for my model (T100TAM). Should I install the Windows 8.1 drivers? If so, which Windows 8.1 drivers, and which Windows 10 drivers should I install?

Thank you for your help!

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    152 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDJS View Post
    Thank you for your advice. I was able to revert back to a full-functioning system by reverting to the earlier Windows version and rolling back all the driver changes I made.

So can you clarify what I should do next? I figure I should:

1) Update the BIOS to .400 using WinFlash (not EasyFlash - correct?)
    2) Attempt to use Windows Update Assistant to install 1709.
    3) If that fails, I will try to do an in-place upgrade using Media Creation Tool, which worked last time.
    4) Assuming I get a working upgrade to 1709, I should go to the Asus website to download the drivers.

So - several questions:
    a) Can installation of an upgraded BIOS be undone if it turns out to cause problems?
    b) How exactly do I install drivers I've downloaded? Do I just unzip them and then look for the 'setup.exe' file? This didn't work last time I tried downloading the Realtek drivers.
    c) In what order should I install drivers? I assume that the chipset driver is the top priority, because this will then tell the system what other hardware components there are.
    d) I note that there are only a couple of Windows 10 drivers on the Asus website for my model (T100TAM). Should I install the Windows 8.1 drivers? If so, which Windows 8.1 drivers, and which Windows 10 drivers should I install?

Thank you for your help!
    Hello, thank you for responding. I'm happy to hear that reverting back to the previous version of Windows works fine. The next step to try is installing the latest version of Windows by using the Windows update assistant. If that fails, try doing the install without using the update assistant. If the new update works fine, you can then move to installing the drivers from our support site(asus.com/us/support).

We recommend to do the bios update as a last resort as if it should cause problems there wouldn't be an alternative solution. Also, for installing the drivers the steps you did are correct and there isn't necessarily a required order for installing the drivers but installing the chipset first is a good step as it controls the Motherboard of the system and if it is that the drivers are not available for Windows 10, you can go back to the Windows 8.1 drivers.
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links