Thread: T100TA 32GB: Win10 performance?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

T100TA 32GB: Win10 performance?

I'm curious... Given the same software loadout and use, can I expect my 32GB T100TA (currently Win8.1, with a keyboard HDD dock and a 64GB MicroSD for storage) to perform better, about the same, slightly worse or a lot worse? Or is there quite a range in results?

As the lack of a removable system drive makes recovery options nowhere near as painless as on a regular laptop/desktop/server (where I'd perform major OS upgrades like these on a cloned HDD), I'm a bit on the fence.

A better behaving search indexer would be welcome for one, and considering Win8.1 'sleep' appears to just be 'turn the screen off' (windows update frequently telling me it's done an update check when it was supposed to be off) I'm also interested in better power management. But I'm worried the effect in general will be reduced performance...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    No one?

Just to be clear: this forum is littered with threads on how to solve problems during upgrade, but reports on post upgrade performance (beyond the fresh reinstall phase) seem sparse, particularly on this model.

I'll stick to Win8.1 (extended support runs until 2023, well beyond the expected useful life of my T100TA) if Win10 will not provide any significant improvements, but I'm wondering if it might help tackle a few annoying performance related itches.
    Last edited by MiG; 07-25-2016 at 04:16 AM.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Nobody I know who has upgraded could tell you there was any change in performance. Personally I feel 10 is a tad snappier than 8.1. It's certainly, in a lot of respects, much better.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    126 times
    I upgraded to Windows 10 in October 2015 and have no regrets, it runs smoothly and startup time is much less.

Make sure all your Windows 8.1 drivers are updated so they are ready for Windows 10

After upgrading you will need to install the new Windows 10 drivers for the ATK Package & Touchpad. See this post and thread for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by FrillyBits View Post
    Your touchpad settings are in Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Asus Smart Gesture
    Have you updated your touchpad drivers for Windows 10 ?
    If you have then try only selecting (ticking) the following, this works well for me
    One Finger = All
    Two Finger = Scroll only
    Three/Four Fingers = None

If you haven't updated yet then:
    • For safety create a System Restore Point first @
    Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Recovery > Configure System Restore > Create

• Go to your local Asus website @ ASUS
    • Click on Support On some sites you must click on Service first then Support
    • Enter the Model Name T100TA in the Search field and select ASUS Transformer Book T100TA
    If you are unsure, your model name can be found @
    Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > System Information > System Model
    • If necessary select Drivers & Tools
    • Choose your OS. Windows 10 32 bit
    • Click on ATK
    • Select the latest version
    • To the right of Download from click on Global
    • Click on Touchpad
    • Select the latest version
    • To the right of Download from click on Global
    • After downloading un-zip the files and install the updates
    NOTE: You will need to go to Programs and Features and uninstall the old versions, then Restart before you can install the new versions (it will tell you to do it if you don't)

Good luck
    leeshor likes this.
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi! I am new here so sorry for interupting anything.
    I am before making a decision to buy a used asus t100. I am dealing with the model cause t100ta would be much cheaper than t100am but of course am is better. Is the difference significant?
    Now i have an hp 620 laptop ( well quite old, but do that it has to do) so i need the asus for office programs, web browsing, fiilm watching music listening, sometimes playing games, but primary is doing my study stuff there.
    After theese all do i have to buy the more expensive one or enough the t100ta. (windows 10 of course)
    Thank you very much.

DGS
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Windows 10 Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Nobody I know who has upgraded could tell you there was any change in performance. Personally I feel 10 is a tad snappier than 8.1. It's certainly, in a lot of respects, much better.
    Interesting you got the upgrade. I have the T100A and when trying to upgrade, it said I needed 16 gig free on my HD. It only has 16 gig total. A forum said I could use a USB, not SD, to store the backup, but it did not allow me to go to the USB, even though the tablet recognized it. The GEEK Mgr at Best Buy said I should definitely not install Win 10 on this unit. The processor cant handle Windows 10. Maybe it's the earlier model. So guess I'm stuck!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guy18 View Post
    Hi! I am new here so sorry for interupting anything.
    I am before making a decision to buy a used asus t100. I am dealing with the model cause t100ta would be much cheaper than t100am but of course am is better. Is the difference significant?
    Now i have an hp 620 laptop ( well quite old, but do that it has to do) so i need the asus for office programs, web browsing, fiilm watching music listening, sometimes playing games, but primary is doing my study stuff there.
    After theese all do i have to buy the more expensive one or enough the t100ta. (windows 10 of course)
    Thank you very much.
    I wouldn't recommend the t100, especially the older TA and TAM models as a primary device. Look for something that is a bit newer and geared towards multi purpose use.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DGS View Post
    Interesting you got the upgrade. I have the T100A and when trying to upgrade, it said I needed 16 gig free on my HD. It only has 16 gig total. A forum said I could use a USB, not SD, to store the backup, but it did not allow me to go to the USB, even though the tablet recognized it. The GEEK Mgr at Best Buy said I should definitely not install Win 10 on this unit. The processor cant handle Windows 10. Maybe it's the earlier model. So guess I'm stuck!
    What you have been told is only partially correct & the guy at Best Buy was talking rubbish!
    Follow the stickied guides in this section to either upgrade your OS or do a clean install & you'll be fine - even on the smallest 32gb T100 and that is any T100 even the first model.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Used Macrium Reflect to create a drive backup as a fallback and ran the upgrade through windows update. Went completely painless, albeit taking some time of course. Interface takes a bit of getting used to but performance indeed doesn't seem to have diminished so far. Will have to do a bit more than poking around to properly assess though.

A tip for those running out of space on these things: apart from not using 'my documents' to store your files but a 64GB MicroSD card, you can also junction the MSOcache directory so it's actually on the dock hard drive. I figured I'd only do upgrades in laptop mode anyway, and this way I don't have to feverishly keep the system drive clean. Had 11GB available on the system partition at Win8.1, got 14GB available in Win10 now.

I've also sorted my main laptop, although that came with a key so I could simply authorise a clean Win10 reinstall on an empty partition (love the new bootloader).
    Is a completely clean reinstall possible on a T100TA, considering you don't have a key? If so, I might give it a try on the last day tomorrow.
    Last edited by MiG; 07-28-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    We have a full guide in "how to" do a full clean W10 install, so yes it is completely possible. You don't need a key - it's in the hardware.
    ASUSFAN0001 likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links