Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LucianH
  • 1 Post By janner43

Thread: [GUIDE] T100TA - Successful clean install of Win10 pro with a Win7pro key

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times

[GUIDE] T100TA - Successful clean install of Win10 pro with a Win7pro key

It’s taken me sometime to finally work out how to do a clean install of Win10pro on my T100TA using a valid Win7pro 32-bit licence. After many an hour googling etc I eventually found a solution - I thought it may be worth sharing. It’s quite a long post but I thought I’d provide the detail of the process (and the problem) for anybody else who wants to do a similar upgrade.

I really needed some of the pro features and also wanted a clean install to free up some of disk space and, since I have a valid Win7pro licence from an old laptop, what should be the problem?

Well, the problem is that the licence key is hard coded in the T100’s bios and is only valid for home versions. When you attempt to do a clean install using MS’s Win10 setup (only one download for both pro and home), it does not give you an option to install Win10pro — it automatically installs Win10home and activates it without giving you the option to enter an alternate licence key.

Another route that I thought I could go down was to do the clean install of Win10home and then go through the upgrade process to Pro using the Win7pro licence. Nah — the Win7 licence key is not valid for an upgrade.

So, in summary, I have a valid pro key that should permit me to run Win10pro - but doing a clean install I don’t get an option to enter it, and the key cannot be used for a home-to-pro upgrade.

However, I then noticed something strange when trying to display the license key for the original installation. I ran a couple of apps which are advertised as extracting the license key — I tested is on a couple of win10pro installations (my desktop and partner’s laptop). The key they came up with was the same on both:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

A quick google of this licence key revealed that it is a generic (default) key that can be used for upgrading to Win10pro (Forbes Welcome). The resultant upgrade, however, will not be activated — for that you need a valid pro key (ding — and the light bulb was lit).

Update 15/5/16:
    I should mention that before I started this re-install, I turned off decryption (with the aim of encrypting once I had installed all apps) - see note at end of post. (Perhaps someone can advise whether there are any issues if you do the clean install as I described below with encryption enabled.)

So, the steps to follow are:

1) Stating the obvious but backup everything you need before you start (I took a complete disk image of the hdd)

2) Create a bootable USB with Win10 using MS’s MediaCreationTool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10).

3) With the USB plugged in, boot up the T100 and then do a restart. Whilst its restarting, pummel F2 to get into the BIOS (I’ve never managed to get into the BIOS from a power-up — I always need to power up first and then do a restart).

4) When in the BIOS, go to the boot options and select to boot from the USB drive.

5) The Win10 install should then start. When it gets to the drive selection, delete all the partitions (I did it by deleting from the last to the first although it should make no difference). The result was it showing one 29GB unallocated drive. It doesn’t give you the option to format it but it doesn’t matter — you just select it and do Next.

6) Then just work through the installation process — it won’t ask for a license key.

7) When it finally boots into windows, right click on the desktop and selected personalise > then click on Themes > and then Desktop Icon settings > and tick Computer to display the “This PC” icon on the desktop

8) Right click on “This PC” and select properties.

9) Under the Activation area go to the upgrade option (I didn’t note exactly what the link was) — this should take you to an MS storefront offering you to upgrade to pro for the very reasonable price of £99.99 (not). However, in the small print, there is a link which gives you the option to continue if you have a product key.

10) This will then take you to a screen where you can enter a product key (now this is where I previously discovered that you can’t use a Win7pro key). It’s at this point that you enter the generic key:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

And then the upgrade will run through with no probs and you’ll eventually be booted into a brand spanking new Win10pro (not exactly a total clean install since it’s an upgrade from Win10home but I believe the difference is small)

11) At this point Win10pro will not be activated — so, right click on “This PC” and go to properties again and then click on Change Product key. Now you can enter a valid Win7pro key and it will accept it and get itself well and truly activated.

12) Do a disk clean-up and remove all files it highlights (there’s probably some residual files from the upgrade from home to pro). Right click on the C drive and do properties > disk clean up. Go to the clean up system files option as well.

Finally, there was only one difficulty I encountered — there was no sound. Checking on the device manager did not reveal any issues and there were no updated drivers available. I tracked the solution down to the chip set drivers. Asus website does not include these in their driver list for win10 (why not?). The driver that I used was the Win8.1 (Chipset, SOC Driver Package v112) and this solved the sound issue. I’ve not bothered to install the drivers that ASUS have for Win10 (ATK and Pointing Device) — everything seems to be working fine so I’ll leave it for the time being. Note that after you’ve installed the chipset driver, and when you next reboot it, you’ll get a notification that the app DptPolicyLpmServiceHelper by intel wants to run — just make sure you untick the “ask every time” and then OK it.

A couple of points to note: the downside to this would be the loss of MS Office which came with the T100 — however, I also had a licence for this from my old laptop. The other point is that the default product key only works for the latest version of 10 (1511).

There may be many of you out there who have already sorted this but, for me, the solution was not easy to find. I’ll wait and be humbled when someone points out another post where this has already been covered (I've got my "dooh!" ready).

================================================== ========
    NOTE (update 15/5/16)
    The device decryption took about 45 mins. The process I followed was:
    Logon to Windows on the T100 using an Administrator’s account.
    Swipe in from the right on the screen and bring up the Search box.
    Type BitLocker and an option to “Change device encryption settings” should be available.
    Select this option to go to the settings screen, scroll down to the “Device encryption” section
    This should indicate that “Device encryption is on”.
    Press the button marked “Turn off”.
    Last edited by LucianH; 05-15-2016 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Additional information
    Gtanner00 likes this.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2824 times
    Nice guide. Thanks for posting.
    Moved to Windows area & stuck.
    Gtanner00 likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    0 times
    I am completely aware this is a ridiculously simplistic question to someone who can do what you can do on a computer -- but can you tell me where I can see how much battery power in left on my T100TA now that it has Windows 10? Thank you, Ricki (I really have tried hard to find it and appreciate your patience.)

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    69 times
    3) With the USB plugged in, boot up the T100 and then do a restart. Whilst its restarting, pummel F2 to get into the BIOS (I’ve never managed to get into the BIOS from a power-up — I always need to power up first and then do a restart).

4) When in the BIOS, go to the boot options and select to boot from the USB drive.

Not necessary to enter the BIOS Setup; ESC-key will bring up the boot device selection menu.

What are the Boot Option Keys for T100?
    ESC: Boot device selection menu
    DEL: Boot into BIOS Setup (same as F2)
    F2: Boot into BIOS Setup
    F9: Boot into windows recovery mode
    Vol Down: Boot Device Selection Menu
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links