Thread: Downgrading to Win 8.1...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times

Downgrading to Win 8.1...

I did a search here and there is a thread with this topic, however it hasn't proven helpful.

Does anyone here have personal experience downgrading from Win 10 to Win 8.1 on their T100A tablet after 30 days?
    My tablet shows there still are recovery files on Disk(0) and Disk(1) (whether these are Win 10 or 8.1 I don't know).

When I try the F9 on boot, the tablet ignores it and boots up to Win 10.

Going into Recovery inside Win 10 gets me to a screen eventually that says:

"Could not find the recovery environment, insert your windows installation or recovery media and restart your PC with the media."

I will need a Product Key if I download a Win 8.1 ISO from MS's site.
    How would I get this key?
    I don't believe it comes with the T100A. Just the Office 2013 key.

Thanks!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    The Recovery Partition is erased after 30 days, however, all is not lost. If you really do want to go backwards to W8.1 (why?) then all you need to do is download the ISO from Microsoft and the Asus driver set from their website.

Windows will recognise your device as genuine with a genuine copy of Windows and will not ask you for a product key. The reinstall action of W8.1 should happen from the external media source (USB stick) and then just reinstall the Asus drivers afterwards.

All the best
    (Moved to W10 section)

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    The Recovery Partition is erased after 30 days, however, all is not lost. If you really do want to go backwards to W8.1 (why?) then all you need to do is download the ISO from Microsoft and the Asus driver set from their website.

Windows will recognise your device as genuine with a genuine copy of Windows and will not ask you for a product key. The reinstall action of W8.1 should happen from the external media source (USB stick) and then just reinstall the Asus drivers afterwards.

All the best
    (Moved to W10 section)
    Thanks very much janner for this news!
    I was initially going to downgrade to Win 8.1 on this T100 that I just bought,
    but if someone can convince me of the benefits of staying with Win 10 I might stay with it.

I'm technically inclined so I have a few more questions for you.
    It was my impression that Win 8.1 was hard-coded into the machine and couldn't be deleted.
    So the Win 8.1 files could be deleted by anyone and can not be relied upon as a sure restore method?

How did MS get the authority to wipe out system data on our machines?
    Trying Win 10 for 30 days is one thing, but wiping out Win 8.1 is another.

What did MS do with the space that was taken up by the Win 8.1 restore files?

TIA!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    I'm technically minded too...

Which is one reason why I no longer use Windows

But my take on the reasons to stay with W10 all revolve around security, system updates, functionality, future proofing. I know that there are issues with privacy, but with a diligent approach they can all be greatly minimised if not turned off altogether.

My understanding of the "authority" question you pose, is this...
    1) You never own the installation of Windows - you have a licence to use it
    2) You voluntarily tried the upgrade to W10 without having to do it and knew that there was a 30 day "window" for returning to the previous version
    3) The recovery partition files get deleted automatically after 30 days as per the upgrade terms and conditions - not that you (neither would I) actually read them.
    4) The only thing "hard coded" is what used to be called the "product key"
    5) The space is still there, but to re-partition your device, you must follow the instructions that MS give on their support site for a fresh installation of Windows. It cannot be done from within the OS.

But again, I wouldn't go backwards. If you bought the T100 new and it came with W10, then you already have a firm foundation.
    If you bought it with W8.1, then I would do a full wipe and fresh install of the OS and then install the drivers from Asus. When I had the system set up and working perfectly, I would then use Macrium Reflect to creat a bit copy backup for future recovery needs.
    MarkMan and Rocket_Scientist like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Just a bit more information. I like Windows 10 as it balances the Modern/Metro live tiles interface with the traditional desktop. With the latest major update 1511, you are able to store Windows Store apps to an SD card (although I haven't been able to do that successfully yet). Windows 10 also has a smaller footprint than 8.1 and handles Windows updates a little different (e.g. it doesn't store a copy and eat up diskspace but you also have to eventually accept all updates). So if you have diskspace issues, it is to your advantage. Windows 8.1 is not hardcoded but your license key is embedded in the BIOS. Manufacturers use to put a tag on the bottom the PC but most newer PCs put it in the BIOS. You can get it with 3rd party license key software but if you look at the system settings you can find it there. There is a bit of a difference between OEM and retail keys but I haven't figured that out yet (e.g. if your motherboard fails). Some people don't like the "privacy" issues.

I'm not sure why the recovery partition is affected when Windows 10 is installed (I have a backup and deleted that on my T100TA). When Windows 10 is installed, it creates a windows.old folder. This folder selfdeletes after 30 days and you can recover your old OS from that if it is still present. As Janner43 said, to restore to 8.1 you have to get the ISO after 30 days and it will activate from the BIOS. Windows 10 activates via digital entitlement. You get back all the space from the windows.old file. As far as your incapacitated recovery partitions, you will have to try Windows disk management or a third party partition manager.
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 03-10-2016 at 08:01 AM.
    MarkMan likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks for helping out janner!

Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    I'm technically minded too...

Which is one reason why I no longer use Windows
    Are you on to Linux?

2) You voluntarily tried the upgrade to W10 without having to do it and knew that there was a 30 day "window" for returning to the previous version

... But again, I wouldn't go backwards. If you bought the T100 new and it came with W10, then you already have a firm foundation.
    If you bought it with W8.1, then I would do a full wipe and fresh install of the OS and then install the drivers from Asus. When I had the system set up and working perfectly, I would then use Macrium Reflect to creat a bit copy backup for future recovery needs.
    Well in my case I didn't voluntarily try the upgrade to Win 10.
    I just bought a used T100 a couple of days ago and the user had upgraded from Win 8.1.

When I bought it, I genuinely thought I could restore Win 8.1 by doing a system reset/restore.
    Even the seller told me I could do this. A short time later I learned about this 30-day trial window.

If the Win 10 footprint is equal to or smaller than Win 8.1 and the positives outweigh the negatives, then we might just stay with Win 10.
    This tablet is being set up for someone else. I use Win XP on my desktop, just so you know where I'm coming from.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    Just a bit more information. I like Windows 10 as it balances the Modern/Metro live tiles interface with the traditional desktop. With the latest major update 1511, you are able to store Windows Store apps to an SD card (although I haven't been able to do that successfully yet). Windows 10 also has a smaller footprint than 8.1 and handles Windows updates a little different (e.g. it doesn't store a copy and eat up diskspace but you also have to eventually accept all updates). So if you have diskspace issues, it is to your advantage...
    Thanks for all this extra info fiat it was very helpful!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    If this is intended to be used by someone else and you bought it used then you could potentially use install media to completely start over with a fresh windows 10 installation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    If this is intended to be used by someone else and you bought it used then you could potentially use install media to completely start over with a fresh windows 10 installation.
    Yes I will be setting the T100A up for a friend.
    In its current condition it looks like a new Win 10 installation. Pretty much everything has been wiped from the machine.

I wasn't thinking about doing a second Win 10 install.
    I'm not sure how to do it or what the benefits would be?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    If I were selling it, I would do a clean install. Asus didn't put too much bloatware on the T100TA, only a couple of photoshop programs and Asus Update. If you don't see any of those, it is probably clean enough. Just test that everything works, camera, etc. , so there are no driver issues and make sure you are running 1511 version. If you ever get in a bind and need to reload 10, you can get the ISO here to put on a USB stick:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

You can clean install as many times as you like as the digital entitlement is effective now.
    Gtanner00 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links