Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Clean Windows 10 install on T100HA (T100HAN)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    4 times

Clean Windows 10 install on T100HA (T100HAN)

Hey all,

I picked up a new T100HA yesterday, specifically it was the T100HAN - 64gb with 2gb ram.

I've always been around computers and it's just a given that I do a fresh install of the OS whenever I grab a new PC / Laptop, so this was no different.

I thought that I'd share a couple of things that I would recommend that you have before you completely wipe the disk partitions and reinstall Windows 10.

So, here's my list;

1 - Ensure that you have a MicroSD card that you've put the Asus Drivers on along with the Win10 instal ISO - I used the USB port on the keyboard for my install and that went fine however once the OS had loaded it didn't recognise the keyboard dock / usb port. So I was a little stuck in getting drivers on the machine to progress.

2 - Get a USB-C adapter | I had to pick one of these up so I could use a mouse after the fresh install as I needed to overcome the keyboard dock not being recognised.

3 - Grab a USB 10/100 LAN network adapter - the ASUS drivers didn't install the wireless chipset driver when I first tried, I had to plug into my LAN using the adapter and let Windows 10 grab all its updates and only then did the ASUS wireless drivers start working. This might be different for different people but that LAN usb dongle was a life saver since I could use it to get online.

Other than that, it took about 3 hours to do a whole clean / fresh install of Windows 10 and let it update itself to the newest version with all the regular updates downloaded & installed. It wasn't until Windows 10 had finished that my screen would auto rotate (it was stuck in portrait before this) & that it regained touch sensitivity again.

I can't comment if the OS is any better / faster as I really didn't use the device for very long before I reinstalled everything BUT if nothing else I have my own piece of mind that there's no bloatware and I can do the install again should I ever need

All my ASUS drivers were from the ASUS site and just the normal Windows 10 updates. I installed Windows 10 Home x64.

A.
    DelphinusV and sepa like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Omg thanks for posting. I've been looking for someone who successfully clean installed on the Asus T100HA.
    After facing the same problems as "vadimo" in another thread:

I have purchased this new tablet, pre installed windows 10 didnt have any issues and i went ahead to update BIOS to latest BIOS 214 (T100HAN), tested it and it was all working fine.

I then as i always do with laptops do fresh install, on boot into USB, i got portrait display mode, i did think it was odd but proceeded with the installation in this mode overwriting everything on the SSD.

Now the screen always boots into portrait mode by default. Here is what i found:

- I am unable to install SOC drivers, its come up with an unknown error and asking to roll back changes, i re-downloaded SOC package twice!
    - Touch screen doesnt work as i cant load drivers
    - If i disconnect dock and re-connect it no longer respond, i have to reboot tablet to get it functioning again
    - Sam goes for USB devices, re-connecting will need a reboot
    - When i set the desktop to landscape inverted mode, it does it but eventually screen hungs and goes black
    - I tried load for example Windows 8.1 USB and still get same issues at the start

So i am stuck, i think the BIOS update was the cause of this but not 100% sure. I cant roll back.
    I returned the first one and got a new Asus T100HAN. I'm currently using it as it is, being too afraid of doing a clean install and massing things up. But reading your post I'm beginning to find hope again.

I just have a few questions:

1. During Installation process: did you delete all partitions? I remember there were like 4 (system, recovery, OS etc)
    2. You say that
    It wasn't until Windows 10 had finished that my screen would auto rotate (it was stuck in portrait before this) & that it regained touch sensitivity again.
    do you mean your screen autorotated after the initial installation (first boot) or after all the Windows 10 Updates were finished?
    3. I remember that like "vadimo" I couldnt install the SOC driver. Did you encounter any problems with the drivers from the Asus website? did you need any driver for the USB C adapter?

Sorry for asking quite much. I would be more than happy if you could help me out.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi Jingle,

Haha, I get why you'd be hesitant to do the fresh install!

Yup, I deleted all partitions and let Windows 10 install from scratch and by default creating that secondary partition for itself.

During the actual install process the screen orientation was fine - (landscape when in dock). However, once Windows 10 had install it would only go to portrait mode and would need to force it to landscape. This happened until ALL the Win 10 updates were installed and it would auto rotate again.

Yeah, those ASUS drivers didn't really install well until I had updated Windows for some reason - I tried them all before I updated but not many worked, after the updates they all worked fine.

The USB-C adapter didn't need any drivers thankfully!

I wouldn't think twice about a fresh install again, if you have the usb lan adapter and a keyboard / mouse to plug in you'll be fine
    janner43 and jingle5748 like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you so much. These are some good news for those who always do a clean install.
    I think I'll be using it for a while as it is. But I'll certainly be doing a clean install in the near future.
    I'll report my experience.

Thanks again MaximumINC

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jingle5748 View Post
    Thank you so much. These are some good news for those who always do a clean install.
    I think I'll be using it for a while as it is. But I'll certainly be doing a clean install in the near future.
    I'll report my experience.

Thanks again MaximumINC

Hi,

I boot, hit F2 to get into the bios but I am not seeing my SD card ISO installation as an option for booting. Is the SD card not a bootable option? Is there a F10/F12 type option to get to boot manager? I did not try with a regular USB stick (yet).

Thanks,
    Rich

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    481 times
    Quote Originally Posted by richtj99 View Post
    Hi,

I boot, hit F2 to get into the bios but I am not seeing my SD card ISO installation as an option for booting. Is the SD card not a bootable option? Is there a F10/F12 type option to get to boot manager? I did not try with a regular USB stick (yet).

Thanks,
    Rich
    That is correct. The SD card slot is not a bootable drive. You will need to use USB. Make sure you create the drive with the Microsoft recovery media tool.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Gtanner00,
    I made a bootable USB from Acronis to make backup and image of my T100HA (Windows 10, 32GB, 2GB). But after booting from the USB the screen (of Acronis menu) is sideways. That happens with all other boot usbs which I made (Windows 10 install, Macrium Reflect bootable Rescue media,...) I even tried with Rusus and use all options (MBR UEFI and GPT UEFI). Nothing helps!
    How you any tips? How can I change the sideways screen by booting from USB? Is it a hardware failure?
    Thanks in advanc

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    481 times
    Never heard of that before.

I don't suggest making it with Acronis or similar software. Microsoft has their own Windows 10 media creation tool to make a bootable USB which has no issues which I am aware of https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10

Just use another computer to generate the USB and you should be good to go.

Word of warning. In order to do an install of Windows 10 you need to have previously upgraded to 10 on that PC. Microsoft now keeps track or licenses in the cloud and connects them to hardware IDs. Once Microsoft creates a link between the license and the device you never have to input a license code again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Other View Post
    Hi Gtanner00,
    I made a bootable USB from Acronis to make backup and image of my T100HA (Windows 10, 32GB, 2GB). But after booting from the USB the screen (of Acronis menu) is sideways. That happens with all other boot usbs which I made (Windows 10 install, Macrium Reflect bootable Rescue media,...) I even tried with Rusus and use all options (MBR UEFI and GPT UEFI). Nothing helps!
    How you any tips? How can I change the sideways screen by booting from USB? Is it a hardware failure?
    Thanks in advanc

*I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your respond,
    I have made a Recovery USB from windows 10, but as you see the resault is the same:

Pic_02.jpg

Other pics are here:
    Asus T100HA Displays Sideways In Alternate Boot Mode

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    481 times
    Seems to be specific to the t100HA. Have you tried to navigate through the installer with the mouse? It is probably very tedious but I am interested to know whether windows gets installed correctly in the end.

Also are you on the very latest BIOS for the t100HA?

______

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links