Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    1 times

What's eating disk space? New T100HA

Hello

Just got my first transformer book. It's a t100ha with windows 10 and 64GB disk space. The
    latter is the issue. I dont know why but when I check the properties of the drive it says
    only 57,4 GB. Anyway, that is not the real problem. Out of those 57 GB I can see that
    windows uses 16.6GB and pre-installed programs about 1GB. After receiving my tablet I
    transferred two big folders onto it, I'm almost sure. One is 12.4GB and that one I can see in the explorer
    , the other I dont remember the size of. That one I cannot find anywhere. Still it seems that it must be somewhere because I have
    hardly any free space left. And if it's not hidden somewhere I don't understand what's
    eating my disk space. Windows + programs + Folder 1 = 16.6 + 1 + 12.4 = 30 GB. Still C
    properties says 39 GB are used. Is that my missing folder or something else? And how may I
    find out/find the folder?

Since the machine is brand new and I didn't install anything I wouldnt mind doing
    something like a factory reset to solve this - but I can't find any such function. If
    nothing else, perhaps you could help me with that?

Feeling kind of helpless... Been a long time without Windows.. Thanks!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Welcome to the forum

If you visit the T100 FAQs section linked in my signature, you will find answers to pretty much all your new user questions, including the one on space...

64GB Model
    MMC Total Capacity=59.6GB
    EFI System partition=100MB
    Recover Partition=900MB
    Recovery Image Partition=8GB
    C: Drive Capacity= 49.1GB
    Approximate Windows 8.1 with updates used Capacity Size= 18GB
    Free Space= 31GB

The detail of the above has almost certainly changed a little with W10.

To learn about Windows 10, visit Windows 10 help and how-to - Windows Help and start from there
    leeshor likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Look for a program called Treesize, it's free, and it will tell you what is taking up space and where it is.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Welcome to the forum

If you visit the T100 FAQs section linked in my signature, you will find answers to pretty much all your new user questions, including the one on space...

64GB Model
    MMC Total Capacity=59.6GB
    EFI System partition=100MB
    Recover Partition=900MB
    Recovery Image Partition=8GB
    C: Drive Capacity= 49.1GB
    Approximate Windows 8.1 with updates used Capacity Size= 18GB
    Free Space= 31GB

The detail of the above has almost certainly changed a little with W10.

To learn about Windows 10, visit Windows 10 help and how-to - Windows Help and start from there

Wow that's a lot of space reserved for the system! Glad I didn't get the 32GB version. I wonder how it even adds up on that one...

Thank you anyway!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Realistically nobody should get a Windows system with less than 64GB of drive space. People run out of space on phones too and complain about it if they got a 16GB model. You get what you pay for and pay for what you get. A lot depends on the number and type of apps you install. Fortunately you have microSD for data.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Realistically nobody should get a Windows system with less than 64GB of drive space. People run out of space on phones too and complain about it if they got a 16GB model. You get what you pay for and pay for what you get. A lot depends on the number and type of apps you install. Fortunately you have microSD for data.
    Didn't have a choice when I bought my Asus Transformer Book T100TA only 32GB was available, as it turns out that's all I need, so far.
    Look for a program called Treesize, it's free, and it will tell you what is taking up space and where it is.
    I've attached my TreeSize screenshot and as you can see I still have 15GB free on the C drive, upgrading from Win8 to Win10 got me 4 > 5 GB extra.
    I have all the software I need installed and for software I only use occasionally (like TreeSize) I use the portable version installed on my MicroSD card.
    If I needed video editing software or games or some other large software I would probably be low on free space but that is not why I bought the Asus Transformer Book T100TA

TreeSize 2016-01-08.png
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    1 times
    Don't know who you work for but that's a ridiculous comment. You get what you pay for? Yes I paid for double the storage of the standard version and I am expecting to have some storage to use. Realizing how little I actually got I was suprised that a 32 GB version was even released. A lot depends on the apps you install you say? It's rather that the apps you can install depend on the small storage. Like poster above says, 32GB version makes it almost impossible to use some software.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mnemanic View Post
    Don't know who you work for but that's a ridiculous comment. You get what you pay for? Yes I paid for double the storage of the standard version and I am expecting to have some storage to use. Realizing how little I actually got I was suprised that a 32 GB version was even released. A lot depends on the apps you install you say? It's rather that the apps you can install depend on the small storage. Like poster above says, 32GB version makes it almost impossible to use some software.
    I've owned my own computer business since 1989. I assure you that statement was far from ridiculous. There isn't a phone, laptop or desktop out there that I have ever seen that has as much usable space as the total drive space advertised. With that said, some people are doing fine with 32GB. It would have been something I would have rejected out of hand. I see that all the time and all I can do is sigh.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    11 times
    I'm going to repeat something that I've already mentioned in other places in this forum...

Go to Portableapps.com and scroll through the list of programs they offer. Chances are great that a number of the apps that you would normally install "permanently" on your hard disk can be found on that site, and if not there are plenty of alternatives. Next step is to download the actual launcher and install it on a decently fast microsd-card (I bought myself a 128GB Samsung Evo - not superfast, but so far I'm satisfied with it). You might even want to drop a shortcut to the launcher in the autostart folder in your OS to have the menu pop up every boot.

I'm not going to presume that this solution is for everyone, and what you can actually save with regards to space on your internal drive is very individual. I scrolled through their stuff and installed over 5GB's of programs (some of them I'm not even sure I will need, but I still installed them because they looked interesting).

My next step is to get Copy.com or Box to sync this folder over all of my computers, but that's something for a rainy day (and we don't have many of those in Barcelona).

One question to all of you (sorry for stealing this thread) - what is a "comfortable amount of hard disk space to have "left" on C: after installing what you feel you need to keep internally?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mnemanic View Post
    You have misunderstood Leeshors post. He was making the point that "you get what you pay for". You have a 64gb drive, but that does not mean 64gb space - sadly it never has...

Windows has always been a disk hog. Nowadays more than ever. Fortunately with microSD cards the price they are and the options there are - for example the post gosa has made - together with others, there are solutions.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links