Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Unable to come back to 8.1/format (T100TAF)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book 100TAF
    Liked
    0 times

Unable to come back to 8.1/format (T100TAF)

Hi, I'm italian so please sorry for my english. I have a big problem with my T100TAF: it was everything perfect until I decided to update my t100 to windows 10. During the installation a message said there were not enough free space on the disk, so I used a 32Gb SD card as support. After the update I began to have some problem with the recognization of my keyboard and webcam and some other small problem so I tried to Reinstall windows 10 trough the option "reset PC" but the process neve completes showing the error "inaccesible_boot_device". I also tried to come back to 8.1 but the loading never starts, it just bricks and I must shut down the tablet. How can I format or come back to 8.1?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    This appears to be a known bug. You can try to get back to 10 like they say but I don't see why you couldn't use a 8.1 iso if you really wanted to get back to 8.1.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...6-1801213b5ca6
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 08-19-2015 at 01:48 PM.
    rickscheller likes this.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bileragger View Post
    Hi, I'm italian so please sorry for my english. I have a big problem with my T100TAF: it was everything perfect until I decided to update my t100 to windows 10. During the installation a message said there were not enough free space on the disk, so I used a 32Gb SD card as support. After the update I began to have some problem with the recognization of my keyboard and webcam and some other small problem so I tried to Reinstall windows 10 trough the option "reset PC" but the process neve completes showing the error "inaccesible_boot_device". I also tried to come back to 8.1 but the loading never starts, it just bricks and I must shut down the tablet. How can I format or come back to 8.1?
    Welcome to the forum

One thing n your post sticks out. If you have a microSD card installed that could hang you up.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Do not do a clean install of 10 before you update from 8.1. Otherwise you will not get the Windows 10 to activate.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    Do not do a clean install of 10 before you update from 8.1. Otherwise you will not get the Windows 10 to activate.
    Is this true? I'm uncertain it is because of my T100 experience.

I did my first Win 8.1 to 10 update using the mediacreationtool (aka clean install) because I hadn't been offered the update through the "Windows Update" function.

I didn't really know what I was doing and after that update and I still had the old Win 8 recovery partitions, so a few days later I did a second mediacreationtool (clean install) and recovered all those danged wasted partitions.

I ran Win 10 that way for about a week and decided I didn't like the flakeyness of Win 10, so I downloaded the Win 8.1 mediacreationtool and reinstalled Win 8.1 over Win 10.

In every case, my system OS info has showed nothing but "activated".
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    So far that has been proven to be true. If you don't upgrade first then a clean install will be for eval unless you purchase a key.

Once you have upgraded and activated once, you can clean install all you want, with no key.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    The reason I'm sure is on 7/30/15, I had used the mediacreationtool to update my Asus VivoTab Smart from Win 8.1 to 10 because it hadn't offered the Win 10 update through the normal "Windows Update" system. Things went well and my Windows registration showed activated.

A couple days later on 8/2/15, my T100 hadn't been offered the normal update and since the VivoTab upgrade went well, I went ahead and used the mediacreationtool on it and afterward, it showed as activated. The rest of the T100 story is described in my previous post above.

Like I said, I'm back to Win 8.1.1 on my T100 but I'm still experimenting with Win 10 on my VivoTab. Both show Windows as "activated".

I'm thinking it properly activates and shows activated because the activation code on these devices is buried deep in the hardware.

Now one thing that may have "prepped the hardware system for the update" was on both these devices, I'd already reserved a Win 10 upgrade. The act of doing that may send the hardware code to MS which when "doing the update" only has to send that ### to check to see that "this device ### has a reservation... so it gets activated".

That last paragraph is my theory IMHO.
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Your theory may be fact for those devices. Especially the reservation point.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    @Rickscheller

I thought you said at one time that you still had the Windows.old directories and didn't want to delete them until you were sure about 10. That suggests that you did an upgrade and not a clean install. You can upgrade using the media creation tool (USB iso). They want you to go through the app because it somehow "knows" your system requirements and prepares an upgrade for your specific hardware requirements. Then when your upgrade is ready it notifies you and downloads it and you install it. You really don't have to go out and find updated drivers on your own because it has already done all that for you. Really a sleek way of doing it. I upgraded this way and I had all the correct drivers and everything just worked after the upgrade finished. I was pleasantly surprised.

I believe your theory is correct. The reservation process set you up for the upgrade.The upgrade must take the Windows key from the registry somewhere and not the bios. I guess they could catch everyone that way, e.g. older and newer machines.
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 08-19-2015 at 06:11 PM.
    janner43 and leeshor like this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    I may have said that but I do currently have a Windows.old directory from using windowsmediatool to go back to Win 8.1 from 10. I guess that means I could use that Window.old to go from Win 8.1 back to Win 10?

Go figure

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links