Thread: [GUIDE] Windows 10...Without the Recovery Partition

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    18 times

[GUIDE] Windows 10...Without the Recovery Partition

Warning: I would much prefer that others who have more computer knowledge than I look this over and confirm things before anyone tries this.

***Annoying disclaimer...I am not an IT professional, and this is not professional advice and it is not a complete guide. This is what worked for me but there are no guarantees it will work for you. I am not responsible for you bricking your tablet or otherwise making it unusable.***

This is how I installed Windows 10 on my Asus T100 Chi (32GB) in such a way as to remove the old Windows 8.1 recovery partition and gain that 8GB of space back. When it's all said and done my tablet was left with just over 20GB of space on the drive. I should also add that most of this information is just pulled together from various scattered posts here on the forums.

Prerequisites
    USB flash drive
    Microsoft's Media Creation Tool

If you have a T100 with bluetooth keyboard, such as the Chi models, you may also need:
    USB2.0 hub and a cable to connect it to the USB2.0 port on the tablet
    USB mouse
    USB keyboard (optional)

Download Asus drivers for your tablet.
    Save these drivers somewhere outside of your tablet or the USB flash drive. Asus has a couple Win10 updated drivers (ATK package and SmartGesture), but you will also need a few others that are available to download under Win8.1:
    Chipset
    Realtek Audio Driver
    Chikeyboard power
    Asus live update utility

I strongly recommend that you make an image backup of your tablet with Macrium Reflect or some other disk image tool. Reflect allows you to create a USB backup drive with a basic OS on it so you can run it and restore your tablet/PC even if windows won't start.

Also, it's not strictly necessary, but I would suggest resetting your tablet to the factory Win8.1 image (Settings, Recovery, Reset your PC). It goes without saying to backup your personal files etc and write down the programs you've installed on the tablet, as the process will destroy your files. This step is especially needed if you don't have much space left on your drive, as Windows recommends a minimum of 10GB of space on whatever partition you install on for the upgrade to take place.

Finally, I recommend recording both your Win8.1 Product Key and later your new Win10 Product Key. To do this, download a utility called Speccy which will display the product key for you. Again, this is not strictly necessary but I like to have the product key recorded somewhere in case I need it.

1. Fully charge your tablet

2. Use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to prepare the USB flash drive. You can do this on another PC (preferred) or directly on the tablet too. Make sure you download the correct version of the tool for your computer (either 32bit or 64bit). When you run the utility, choose "Create installation media for another PC". Next, select the language and correct version of Win10 (probably Win10 Home, 32bit). Next, choose USB flash drive. After that the utility will download Win10 and prepare the flash drive for installation.

3. ***Very important*** UPGRADE your tablet to Win10 (do not do a "clean" install at this point). There are two ways to do this:
    -Download and use the Media Creation Tool directly on your tablet, and this time choose "Upgrade this PC now" instead of creating installation media. I prefer this method, but it will require you to download Win10 again.
    -You can use the USB flash drive you just created to UPGRADE the tablet. This way you don't need to download Win10 again, but it does have a few more steps that I won't outline here. If you know what you're doing either way is fine.
    -Whichever way you choose to install Win10, make sure you UPGRADE the tablet and do not do a clean install at this point

4. Let the upgrade process complete, which will take some time. When it's done you will have a tablet with a working Win10 OS and probably around 10GB left of space depending on what else you have on the tablet. At this point you will also still have the 8GB recovery partition, which is no longer needed by Win10.

5. ***Very important*** Confirm that your Win10 installation is activated with Microsoft. Go to Settings, Update and Security, Activation and make sure it says that windows is activated.

6. Use Speccy to find your windows Product Key and write it down. Technically speaking, you may not need this as the clean install process below should still retain activation.

7. Using the flash drive created earlier, perform a clean install of Win10 on the tablet. This process will destroy all your partitions and leave you with a 100mb EUFI partition, a 450mb recovery partition, and a 29GB OS partition.
    -You will need to connect a USB hub, the flash drive, USB mouse and USB keyboard (optional) to the tablet. Make sure you can connect to these before rebooting from win10
    -Boot from the USB flash drive. There’s a few ways to do this such as changing the boot order in BIOS (what I did) or if I remember correctly there is an option under the Win10 Recovery option to do an “Advanced” restart. Once restarting this will give you the option to boot from external media.
    -Once booting from the USB drive choose your language options and select next.
    -Choose Install Windows
    -You will be asked for the product key. I went ahead and used a USB keyboard to enter the product key, but this is not strictly necessary. Just keep skipping next whenever it asks for the key. As long as the upgrade Win10 was activated, this clean install should also activate without entering the product key.
    -When you get to the screen asking which type of install you want, choose “Custom”.
    -Now comes the scary part. On the “Where do you want to install windows” screen, select each partition and DELETE it (not format or whatever). Once all partitions are deleted you should be left with about 29GB of unallocated space. Don’t worry, Win10 will create the partitions needed for installation. (Again, I highly recommend that you previously made a Macrium Reflect disk image in case you need to restore, which will include all the partitions you just deleted.)
    -Go ahead and install Win10 again. You’ll need to go through the setup process again just like before.

8. Installation Notes:
    a. Optional: The first time I did the clean install of windows I signed in with my Microsoft account credentials. This created an Administrator user account and a C:\Users\ folder with a strange name, the first 5 letters of my email address I used to sign in to the Microsoft account. It is very difficult to change the user name and FOLDER name after installation, so I recommend NOT signing in to your Microsoft account and instead just create a local account when installing Windows, using the user account name of your choice. Once Win10 is installed you can go into accounts and sign in/merge the local account with your Microsoft account and it will retain your user folder name.
    b. Once Win10 is installed you will probably notice that Win10 is very sluggish on the T100Chi, and that touch is not available. So the first thing to do is install the chipset driver you downloaded earlier. After a restart this will dramatically improve things and give you the touch screen.
    c. The only really annoying thing I experienced after the upgrade was getting the Bluetooth keyboard to connect to the Chi. I *think* the problem was actually that I installed the Bluetooth driver that Asus provided for Win8.1. without trying to connect the keyboard first after the upgrade. Once I deleted the Asus driver I had installed post Win10 upgrade, the keyboard connected fine with the stock Bluetooth driver included in either windows or the chipset driver. I recommend NOT installing the Asus Bluetooth driver and see if you can first connect the keyboard.
    d. Install the other Asus drivers listed above and you should be good to go.

After all this you should be left with a T100 Chi that has about 20GB of space left on the drive, a dramatic improvement from the 9GB or so I was left with when that darn Win8.1 recovery drive was still present.
    Last edited by buckeyestargazer; 08-06-2015 at 07:26 AM.
    foggy69, Caster, Jaymac and 6 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    416 times
    Thank you buckeyestargazer... reading through your procedure seems to bring everything into one comprehensive post that's scattered in multiple posts/threads here and there along with things I've read online.

This comprehensive procedure seems like a full and complete step by step to perform a "full and complete Win 10 install" including creating a Win 10 recovery partition and scrubbing any remnants of Win 8.x from the HDD.

Good job.
    HowieDoin2 likes this.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    483 times
    I should point out, and perhaps the guide should be edited to reflect this... That having used this method many times on the standard t100 models with the non Bluetooth connected keyboards there is no need for a USB mouse and keyboard.

I found it much better having a Microsoft created recovery which is much smaller than the original Asus one. I can always manually install Asus drivers and utilities later and I don't have any need for the free office key included since I have office 365.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    I should point out, and perhaps the guide should be edited to reflect this... That having used this method many times on the standard t100 models with the non Bluetooth connected keyboards there is no need for a USB mouse and keyboard.
    I'll update the guide to reflect that. This was originally written for and posted on the T100 Chi forum, which of course uses a bluetooth keyboard.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    3 times
    Awesome post...thanks very much!

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Always great to see when our member's post detailed information, helping others. Keep it up!
    rickscheller and Gtanner00 like this.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    18 times
    Others here (including Caster) have been very helpful to me, so it feels good to be able to contribute something positive myself!

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    69 times
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyestargazer View Post
    -Boot from the USB flash drive. There’s a few ways to do this such as changing the boot order in BIOS (what I did) or if I remember correctly there is an option under the Win10 Recovery option to do an “Advanced” restart. Once restarting this will give you the option to boot from external media.
    Tapping Escape key on power up gives selection of boot device.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, upgrading to Windows 10 my t100, it crashed, erasing the recovery partition. Could someone send me a copy of the partition to perform a reset to Windows 8.1?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links