Like Tree15Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] Windows 10...Without the Recovery Partition

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the post. It's essentially the same procedure as with upgrading any Windows 7 or 8 machine, but I have one issue with my T100TAF. How do I get the BIOS to give me any other boot options other than "Windows Boot Manager?" I've now tried two different UEFI-bootable flash drives properly created (one with Rufus and the other with the Windows Media Creation tool) with Windows 10 on them and nothing I do allows me to get them to show as boot options. I've disabled Secure Boot but that didn't help. Any help would be greatly appreciated (I've got BIOS version 212). I can't stand the thought of being stuck with my non-virgin version of W10. I've had a bit of trouble with other UEFI machines being cranky about booting from USB, but there was always a way to get it to do it. So far I can't figure out how I'm supposed to enable ANY other boot option besides Windows Boot Manager. Hitting escape when powering up gives me Windows Boot Manager and Enter Setup as options, regardless of what flash drive I have attached. Thanks.
    Last edited by unclelobsterman; 11-10-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    18 times
    I'm not really sure; hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
    I do know that I had trouble getting my T100Chi to recognize devices plugged into the USB3 port on the tablet. Once I plugged things into the USB2port (which doubles as the charging port) the devices were recognized. As I mention in the OP, use a USB2 hub and plug into the USB2 port. Then you can use a USB flash drive, mouse, keyboard during installation.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyestargazer View Post
    I'm not really sure; hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
    I do know that I had trouble getting my T100Chi to recognize devices plugged into the USB3 port on the tablet. Once I plugged things into the USB2port (which doubles as the charging port) the devices were recognized. As I mention in the OP, use a USB2 hub and plug into the USB2 port. Then you can use a USB flash drive, mouse, keyboard during installation.
    Thanks, but I don't have the Chi and have apparently no issue with my keyboard when it's attached. The USB port is recognized fine when Windows is running, but perhaps the BIOS can't "see" it because it's part of the keyboard and not the tablet?? I'll try connecting a hub and just using the tablet to see if that gives me any other options in the BIOS for booting. And if someone else has solved this with my exact model please chime in! Thanks.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    18 times
    Yes, the reason I mentioned using the USB2 port (directly on the tablet) is because like you my usb flash drive was recognized fine when windows was running, but would not show up as a bootable drive in bios when attached to the USB3 port on the tablet. Good luck!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    A light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks. Attempting it in an hour or so.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    69 times
    I only use the USB 2.0 port on on tablet port for charging.
    I use the USB 3.0 port on the keyboard with a USB 3.0 powered hub.
    The powered hub boots the flash drive & recognizes the backup HDD, so always need 2 USB slots. Another slot has a USB mouse attached.

My bootable device is an SD card in a Rosewill card reader (looks like a flash drive) which has no problems reading or writing, ever, even in DOS.
    Bootable SD card is WindowsPE created by Macrium Reflect.

Sometimes Esc-key is not recognized & have to try again. On power up keep tapping it until something happens. The card reader with SD card has some kind of weird name (don't remember it now).

Quote Originally Posted by unclelobsterman View Post
    ...I've now tried two different UEFI-bootable flash drives properly created (one with Rufus and the other with the Windows Media Creation tool) with Windows 10 on them and nothing I do allows me to get them to show as boot options....
    Probably, neither are UEFI bootable. I've had troubles with Windows 7 Download Tool. No issues at all with Reflect media creation or with the latest version of Rufus which I used to create bootable Win10 for UEFI & non-UEFI.
    Last edited by Rocket_Scientist; 11-22-2015 at 08:45 AM.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Scientist View Post
    I only use the USB 2.0 port on on tablet port for charging.
    I use the USB 3.0 port on the keyboard with a USB 3.0 powered hub.
    The powered hub boots the flash drive & recognizes the backup HDD, so always need 2 USB slots. Another slot has a USB mouse attached.

My bootable device is an SD card in a Rosewill card reader (looks like a flash drive) which has no problems reading or writing, ever, even in DOS.
    Bootable SD card is WindowsPE created by Macrium Reflect.

Sometimes Esc-key is not recognized & have to try again. On power up keep tapping it until something happens. The card reader with SD card has some kind of weird name (don't remember it now).

Probably, neither are UEFI bootable. I've had troubles with Rufus which takes a lot of fiddling. No issues at all with Reflect media creation.
    Thank you, but I'm confused about this PE stuff. Why do I want a pre-installation environment bootable drive? All I'm trying to do is get the stupid thing to boot from a perfectly usable W10 thumb drive so I can do a clean installation. I don't know what PE is/does that is helpful here.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    Anyway, I can't get the unit to recognize my USB hub when its connected via the tablet's microUSB port. Not in Windows nor in the BIOS. Do I need to be connecting it with an OTG USB cable instead of a regular one? Thanks.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Scientist View Post
    Probably, neither are UEFI bootable. I've had troubles with Rufus which takes a lot of fiddling. No issues at all with Reflect media creation.
    This is what it boiled down to for me. Neither my WMCT drive nor my first Rufus one were actually compatible. Installed the latest Rufus and all was good. Thanks to those who helped. I only wish I had grabbed another one or two of these little guys when Cowboom had their discount on them a few weeks ago.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    69 times
    Quote Originally Posted by unclelobsterman View Post
    Thank you, but I'm confused about this PE stuff. Why do I want a pre-installation environment bootable drive? All I'm trying to do is get the stupid thing to boot from a perfectly usable W10 thumb drive so I can do a clean installation. I don't know what PE is/does that is helpful here.
    Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) is a bootable tool that can be used to install, troubleshoot, or recover an operating system. Windows PE is a minimal Win32 subsystem with limited services.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/lib...ded.60%29.aspx
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links