Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] Upgrade to Windows 10 on a 32GB T100 using a bootable USB drive (Works well!)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    9 times

[GUIDE] Upgrade to Windows 10 on a 32GB T100 using a bootable USB drive (Works well!)

If you're like me and didn't get the "Reserve Windows 10" app on your 32GB T100 or you just don't want to use it for whatever reason, there is an alternative way to upgrade your tablet from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 which works very well and is quite easy to do.

You will need the following:
    Asus TF Book T100 and Keyboard Dock (obviously)
    A secondary PC
    An empty USB flash drive

STEP 1 - Downloading the creation tool:
    On your secondary PC insert a blank USB flash drive and download the media creation tool from the following link:
    Windows 10

You should download the version that corresponds to your SECONDARY PC.

STEP 2 - Making a bootable drive:
    Once you have downloaded the file, run it and choose "Create installation media for another PC.

Click next and you will be asked for a language, edition and architecture.
    For language, pick whatever applies to you. However for edition and architecture it is very important that you choose the following:
    Edition: Windows 10 Home
    Architecture: 32-bit (x86)
    Setting edition to anything else may cause activation issues.

On the next page ensure that "USB flash drive" is selected and click next.
    You will see a list of removable storage devices attached to your PC. Pick your flash drive and click next. THIS WILL DELETE ANY FILES THAT ARE ON THE DRIVE!!
    Windows 10 will now be transferred to the drive. This may take some time so don't remove the drive until the program says that it has completed.

STEP 3 - Installing Windows 10:
    Turn on your tablet and insert the drive into the USB port of the keyboard dock. Navigate to it and run the file named "setup.exe". Follow the onscreen instructions and once you do so Windows 10 will begin to install. This will take a while. For me it took almost 2 hours.

STEP 4 - Post installation tips:
    This may not be the case for everyone, but in my experience, for the first 5 - 10 minutes, Windows 10 lagged very heavily but after this ran smooth as silk. I'd recommend just leaving the tablet alone for a while after installation.
    If you're having problems getting the touch keyboard to work, installing the Windows updates seems to fix it.
    Also a couple of the Asus apps are not compatible (eg Reading mode) and should be uninstalled for the time being if they are causing any problems.
    Once you are certain that you want to stick with Windows 10, you can delete the folder "C:\Windows.old" to free up a couple of extra GBs of storage (Although keep in mind that you wont be able to easily revert back to 8.1 after doing this).

And there you have it! Windows 10 on your 32GB Asus T100. If you have any concerns or run into any problems, feel free to tell me below and I'll try to get back to you asap. Good luck!
    Last edited by Jibby; 07-29-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2824 times
    Great guide.

Thread now a sticky and referenced elsewhere.
    Jibby likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Great guide.

Thread now a sticky and referenced elsewhere.
    That's great! Thank you
    Last edited by Jibby; 08-15-2015 at 10:34 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Why dont make it simple and just upgrade and click on the installation menu for a clean install ?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LosArrogantes View Post
    Why dont make it simple and just upgrade and click on the installation menu for a clean install ?
    Because you're only eligible to get the upgrade for free. A couple of years ago, I bought Windows 8 Upgrade Edition and chose to do a clean install over Windows 7. After instalation it told me that it wouldn't activate because I didn't choose upgrade. I had to do a clean install of 7 and then upgrade to 8 to get it to work.
    I presume the same rules will apply with the Windows 10 upgrade.

If you want to do a clean install of 10, the best way of doing so would be to reinstall 8.1 from the recovery menu and then follow the guide to upgrade your clean 8.1 install to 10.
    Gtanner00 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book 100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    I do have the Reserve Windows 10 icon and have signed up, but from everything I've been reading there is no way it will ever actually download since the best I can come up with is a hair over 5GB of space. What size USB stick do I need for this? And to be clear, this is an upgrade, so all installed apps and data is retained?

Thanks for the help!
    Kidd_Funkadelic

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    I was able to do the install without needing to use a 2nd machine by doing the following.

1. Have the Media Creation Tool create an ISO and place it on a MicroSD plugged into the available slot.
    2. Permanently delete the 2 hidden directories that the Media Creation Tool created under the C:\ drive. I believe they were called microsoft$.mt and microsoft$.bt.
    3. Double click on the ISO file on the MicroSD to mount it.
    4. Run Setup.exe in the mounted ISO.
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Once the computer reboots it will run the install even though the ISO was only mounted through a MicroSD. I didn't do this with a USB drive but I don't see why it wouldn't work as well. After I updated to Windows 10 I haven't had any issues so it looks like the update worked perfectly fine using this method.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidd_Funkadelic View Post
    I do have the Reserve Windows 10 icon and have signed up, but from everything I've been reading there is no way it will ever actually download since the best I can come up with is a hair over 5GB of space. What size USB stick do I need for this? And to be clear, this is an upgrade, so all installed apps and data is retained?

Thanks for the help!
    Kidd_Funkadelic
    Hi there! I used an 8GB stick for this, but I think the minimum size stick you can use is 5GB. I did this method with only 5GB of space on my tablet and because of Windows 10's new "Compressed Install" feature I had 10GB afterwords so it's definitely worth doing if you're running low on space.
    And yes, this is an upgrade so all of your programs, apps and settings will remain once you are finished.
    Good luck and if you need any more info, feel free to ask

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty017 View Post
    I was able to do the install without needing to use a 2nd machine by doing the following.

1. Have the Media Creation Tool create an ISO and place it on a MicroSD plugged into the available slot.
    2. Permanently delete the 2 hidden directories that the Media Creation Tool created under the C:\ drive. I believe they were called microsoft$.mt and microsoft$.bt.
    3. Double click on the ISO file on the MicroSD to mount it.
    4. Run Setup.exe in the mounted ISO.
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Once the computer reboots it will run the install even though the ISO was only mounted through a MicroSD. I didn't do this with a USB drive but I don't see why it wouldn't work as well. After I updated to Windows 10 I haven't had any issues so it looks like the update worked perfectly fine using this method.
    Interestingly I couldn't get the Media Creation Tool to even start on my tablet. However this is still good advice for people who can. Thanks!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibby View Post
    Interestingly I couldn't get the Media Creation Tool to even start on my tablet. However this is still good advice for people who can. Thanks!
    No problem. I did have to delete cache and try and clear up some space before it ran for me.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links