Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] Upgrade to Windows 10 on a 32GB T100 using a bootable USB drive (Works well!)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks fot that.
    Swipe likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi thanks for the FAQ, I realise that a lot of time has passed since this was written but these instructions didn't work for me, the reason seems to be that my T100 TAF has "Windows 8.1 With Bing" installed and no such version of Windows 8.1 is catered for in the Windows 10 media creation tool so when I used Home edition that seemed to be the best choice, I got prompted when running it for a product key I don't have.
    I have tried the install with external USB drive method and this is currently running (exceptionally slowly).
    I bought this device for my girlfriend and assumed that the 32GB although paltry had been found to be plenty enough to get the job done and the micro SD card slot would sort out the storage issues, it seems a shame to skimp on the C drive size on what seems to otherwise be an excellent device.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

Question upgrading from 8.1 to 10

Quote Originally Posted by Jibby View Post
    If you're like me and didn't get the "Reserve Windows 10" app on your 32GB T100 or you just don't want to use it for whatever reason, there is an alternative way to upgrade your tablet from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 which works very well and is quite easy to do.

You will need the following:
    Asus TF Book T100 and Keyboard Dock (obviously)
    A secondary PC
    An empty USB flash drive

STEP 1 - Downloading the creation tool:
    On your secondary PC insert a blank USB flash drive and download the media creation tool from the following link:
    Windows 10

You should download the version that corresponds to your SECONDARY PC.

STEP 2 - Making a bootable drive:
    Once you have downloaded the file, run it and choose "Create installation media for another PC.

Click next and you will be asked for a language, edition and architecture.
    For language, pick whatever applies to you. However for edition and architecture it is very important that you choose the following:
    Edition: Windows 10 Home
    Architecture: 32-bit (x86)
    Setting edition to anything else may cause activation issues.

On the next page ensure that "USB flash drive" is selected and click next.
    You will see a list of removable storage devices attached to your PC. Pick your flash drive and click next. THIS WILL DELETE ANY FILES THAT ARE ON THE DRIVE!!
    Windows 10 will now be transferred to the drive. This may take some time so don't remove the drive until the program says that it has completed.

STEP 3 - Installing Windows 10:
    Turn on your tablet and insert the drive into the USB port of the keyboard dock. Navigate to it and run the file named "setup.exe". Follow the onscreen instructions and once you do so Windows 10 will begin to install. This will take a while. For me it took almost 2 hours.

STEP 4 - Post installation tips:
    This may not be the case for everyone, but in my experience, for the first 5 - 10 minutes, Windows 10 lagged very heavily but after this ran smooth as silk. I'd recommend just leaving the tablet alone for a while after installation.
    If you're having problems getting the touch keyboard to work, installing the Windows updates seems to fix it.
    Also a couple of the Asus apps are not compatible (eg Reading mode) and should be uninstalled for the time being if they are causing any problems.
    Once you are certain that you want to stick with Windows 10, you can delete the folder "C:\Windows.old" to free up a couple of extra GBs of storage (Although keep in mind that you wont be able to easily revert back to 8.1 after doing this).

And there you have it! Windows 10 on your 32GB Asus T100. If you have any concerns or run into any problems, feel free to tell me below and I'll try to get back to you asap. Good luck!
    Hi
    Great instructions. Followed them in order. After inserting the USB in my Asus and ran Setup, all looked ok as setup checked everything without any problems until the dreaded please insert your installation code as found on your DVD package. When W10 was offered to me last year, the ESD files were transferred to my Asus in its folder until I was ready to install it - for free. The reason I didn't install it then was because I was informed by MS that the ASUS T100 was not yet compatible. What did I do wrong this time. Thanks, Wayne

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2824 times

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    3 times
    I have a 32G T100CHI which originally came with Windows 10 pre-installed.

I wanted to see what Windows 8.1 would look like on it. I had saved a drive image of a T100 CHI 64GB I had bought and returned last year. I restored it to the 32GB CHI and installed my standard software package. This image had labeled the C drive as WIMBooted. I had about 10GB of space free.

I got the Windows 10 icon and allowed it to start the Windows 10 installation. The upgrade went smoothly and left the system WIMBooted. Apparently, at this time, the upgrade decides whether to WIMBoot or not based upon disk space.

Eventually, I restored the original pre-installed Windows 10 that was not WIMBooted.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks a lot for this.I successfully upgrade to windows 10 on my T100TA 32GB

I have question : I already deleted the old windows 8.1 using the cleanup(system files),is windows 10 recovery is created after upgrade?
    So if i reset my PC I will get the Windows 10?

Hope someone will reply
    Last edited by toyds; 04-18-2016 at 02:17 AM.
    T100TA-windows10.32bit-sandisk 64GB microsd-bios314

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    1 times
    My T100 has asked me to thank you for this post, without which it would most likely have gone through a window.

I am happy to oblige.
    janner43 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

stalled install on key

Hi Folks,

All went ok, got files onto my flash drive, install runs ok till i'm asked for the product key.

Downloaded the tool to extract the key from my system. But tells me product key is wrong, even tried another piece of software to extract the key (it found the same key) and still no luck.

any thoughts? I'm soooooooo close!

Thanks,

Andyffff

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times
    windows 10 bootable usb is actually a replacement of standard BIOS, when you try to install Windows 10 using a bootable media. I have some questions related to it which lead me in this forum. Before I put my questions here, when I read about discussion then I got answers of my all questions. Thanks to everyone.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links