Thread: [DISCUSSION][GUIDE]T100 Chi and Windows 10

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    18 times

[DISCUSSION][GUIDE]T100 Chi and Windows 10

My new T100 Chi is on the way. I'm just curious if anyone has tried installing Windows 10 on one of these? I know these are not widely available yet but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    18 times
    No responses?
    I received my Chi today and the first order of business is installing win 10, which is in process right now. I'm trying to install from windows update.
    Given this is the 32GB T100 Chi I'd really like to recover that restore partition for more space. Will doing so void the warranty? Is there any way to get that recovery partition back if I delete it and need to do a warranty repair?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    18 times
    I'm pretty sure I'm screwed but wanted to ask here before seeking Asus support. I tried to install windows 10 via ISO (windows update method didn't work). It seemed to install fine but on the first boot it came to the splash screen and I was not able to swipe to get into windows. I was forced to hold down the power button to shut it off. When I tried to start it up again I came to the Asus screen and it said "Preparing Bitlocker Recovery". From there it went to a blue screen that says "There was a problem. Restart your PC to try again. It looks like something didn't load correctly. Restarting might fix the problem. If this happens more than once, you might also be able to find help by searching online for the specific error code: 8007139f"

Restarting does not fix the problem, and I can't even enter Bios. I've tried holding the Volume + and - buttons when starting but it always goes to the bitlocker screen then the error code screen. Is there any other way I can enter bios or boot from my recovery usb drive?

I'm desperate so any words of advice would be much appreciated.

EDIT: I tried to get into BIOS again and somehow, 1 time, I was able to get into bios (but have not been able to since). However booting from the USB recovery drive still took me back to the above error screen.
    Last edited by buckeyestargazer; 04-03-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyestargazer View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm screwed but wanted to ask here before seeking Asus support. I tried to install windows 10 via ISO (windows update method didn't work). It seemed to install fine but on the first boot it came to the splash screen and I was not able to swipe to get into windows. I was forced to hold down the power button to shut it off. When I tried to start it up again I came to the Asus screen and it said "Preparing Bitlocker Recovery". From there it went to a blue screen that says "There was a problem. Restart your PC to try again. It looks like something didn't load correctly. Restarting might fix the problem. If this happens more than once, you might also be able to find help by searching online for the specific error code: 8007139f"

Restarting does not fix the problem, and I can't even enter Bios. I've tried holding the Volume + and - buttons when starting but it always goes to the bitlocker screen then the error code screen. Is there any other way I can enter bios or boot from my recovery usb drive?

I'm desperate so any words of advice would be much appreciated.

EDIT: I tried to get into BIOS again and somehow, 1 time, I was able to get into bios (but have not been able to since). However booting from the USB recovery drive still took me back to the above error screen.
    Good news. I managed to restore back to windows 8.1 from the restore USB flash drive I made. It was not easy. Prior to trying to install Windows 10 I could get in to bios by simply holding the volume up button when pushing power. After the windows 10 install went south, I couldn't get in to bios or the boot option screen. Through trial and error I arrived at a button combination that allowed me to boot from the USB drive. Again, this is with a T100 Chi
    1. Hold down both volume up and volume down.
    2. Press and immediately release power (still holding volume up and down) - an hour glass should appear on the screen for a short time
    3. (still holding volume up and down) Press and hold power until it starts to boot up.

This took me to the USB recovery options screen and I was able to restore win8.1 from there.

Amazingly, the Asus restore partition appears to be intact, despite the warning from MS that the restore partition would be unusable after installing windows 10 ISO.

Needless to say, I'm going to stick with Win8.1 until the official release of win10 comes out.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    18 times
    After some research, it appears that Win10 build 10041 has tablet mode disabled by default. Since the Chi uses a bluetooth keyboard it is not available automatically when installing win10 technical preview. I now believe that win10 10041 installed correctly on my chi but when it came to the lock screen after startup I couldn't do anything because the touch screen was disabled and I could not use the keyboard either. Once I get a USB adapter (micro USB to female USB A) I may try to connect a USB keyboard and try again (assuming that I will be able to bypass the lock screen with the USB keyboard?).

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2824 times
    Thread adopted for T100 Chi & title enhanced
    Thread stuck
    Swipe likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    18 times
    I'm a glutton for punishment!

Since I figured out that the reason my first attempt at installing windows 10 failed because the touch screen didn't work, and despite my better judgment, I decided to hook up a usb keyboard and try again. Installing using a flash drive and the ISO file went fine. This time the windows lock screen came up and using the keyboard I was able to get to the desktop.

Windows 10 on this device is really glitchy and slow. When I booted up the windows explorer kept looping. Eventually it stopped and I was able to try and do a few things. I couldn't get touch to work, and the installation totally removed critical drivers like the network/wifi driver so I couldn't connect to the internet. I tried to install the Asus driver for network access but that just took me to a black screen that I couldn't get out of. At that point I decided I'm not techie enough to want to pursue windows 10 further, until the official release comes out.

The bottom line is that I was able to install Windows 10 on the T100 Chi successfully. But win10 just isn't ready as a daily OS, at least not for my Chi.

I have not had a windows 8.1 device yet and frankly I was really hoping to avoid windows 8 altogether, but I guess I can live with it for a few months until 10 comes out.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the info.. and for taking the punishment so others don't have to!
    I'm also new to W8 and would love to move to W10 but given your experiences I will put up with W8 for now...
    buckeyestargazer likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    4 times
    Running build 10049 on my T100 chi now. Clean install using ISO. Upgrading from build 10041 to 10049 via Windows Update stuck midway.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    18 times
    I'm curious to hear how it's going with build 10049 on your chi. Did you have to install a bunch of drivers after the win10 install? What's working and what isn't working? Thanks for the report.

Win10 on my T100Chi did not operate smoothly at all. Touch wasn't working, it would play dead for a while and then come back to life etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links