Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    245 times

Windows 10 on the T100 general chit chat thread

Is there any reason why the new windows 9 (or what ever the finial name) would not run on the T100?

I think not but just thought I would put it out there for others thoughts.
    Just_Here likes this.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    No reason... Though, by the time it comes out there will probably already be a Braswell or Cherry Trail based refresh model of the T100 available...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    15 times
    Do you think MS will give us free upgrades to Win 9?
    dokie80 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbolaya64 View Post
    Maybe 4321?
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbolaya64 View Post
    Uncertain, right now that's the rumor and it seems likely as it'll help promote adoption and smooth over MS public relations with how badly they rolled out W8 and failed to properly educate the public on things like the difference between W8 and RT... Also, fits with how MS is trying to push into the mobile market... Like they're already giving Windows for free for devices that can be sold for $250 or less, and discount those that at least offer to have Bing as the default search engine...

But we got about a year before we find out for sure...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    It's a good time to start this thread, with the official Windows 9 announcement event apparently less than two weeks away (September 30th).

Gizmodo recently posted a round-up of what's known so far. (Follow the links in the articles for more details.)

Concerning whether Windows 9 would run on the T100, I haven't seen any specific mentions of hardware requirements, but the most likely potential snag is that Windows 9 will require some newer processor instruction set, such as the "CompareExchange 128" requirement that blocked some upgrades from Windows 8.0 to 8.1 (PC World article).

Regarding upgrade costs, last time around, Windows 8 Pro was available for an upgrade price of $39.99 (Windows.com blog). If there is a similar offer for Windows 9 Pro, I'll most likely go for that, because (1) I prefer to have all my Windows computers running the same version for maintenance and ease-of-use, (2) The 'Pro' features (e.g., remote desktop), and (3) The T100 will not be too old technology-wise, so Windows 9 should at least be almost as snappy as Windows 8.1.
    helpifIcan likes this.

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    245 times
    My 2 cents it would be highly unlikely to get the new OS for free, more likely a reduced cost upgrade for a short period of time, like 2 to 3 months, then to the normal upgrade price.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by helpifIcan View Post
    My 2 cents it would be highly unlikely to get the new OS for free, more likely a reduced cost upgrade for a short period of time, like 2 to 3 months, then to the normal upgrade price.
    The rumors I have been hearing are free for Windows 7 users and reduced cost (at launch) for Windows 8/8.1 users. They want to encourage the really early guys to move up and are less concerned about the more recent set.

At a guess, probably $15-30 for "early adopters", meaning probably in the first 3 months or so it'll be reduced price for anyone with Windows 8/8.1 (maybe just 8.1) and then jumping to full price.

That said, MS may move to a different model entirely. There have been strong rumors where the base windows cost will move much closer to $0 and then you'll have to pay for features you want added in (IE base windows might be more basic than it currently is). Frankly I'd like to see frequent (1-2 year) new releases of Windows (like OSX has), but priced more in the $15-30 range per release for an upgrade (maybe $60-100 for a new license).

I'd be a lot more willing and tempted to upgrade at that price. A lot of times I like lagging 3-9 months intentionally because a lot of times, MS DOES bork something, or stuff I rely on for some reason won't work (or work well) in the new release at least initially. Maybe one of the few times a release has ever been smooth and drama free for me and my software was moving from 8 to 8.1 (sole exception of Intel network card drivers as Intel abandoned most of their product line for 8.1. They did an initial drive release packed in to 8.1, and have EOL the products now for about 3/4ths of their network card range).

Every other release 3.1 to 95, 95 to 98, 98 to 2000/ME, 2000/ME to XP, XP to Vista, Vista to 7, 7 to 8 have all resulted in SOMETHING not working right, either at first or period, when it came to software I use/need. Generally within 3-6 months either the software got updated and worked properly in the new OS, or else I found an acceptable (or better) alternative.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Here View Post
    Concerning whether Windows 9 would run on the T100, I haven't seen any specific mentions of hardware requirements, but the most likely potential snag is that Windows 9 will require some newer processor instruction set, such as the "CompareExchange 128" requirement that blocked some upgrades from Windows 8.0 to 8.1 (PC World article).
    It'll have to be a pretty old processor to run into such a problem and besides, it can be bypassed... it's just a more complex install procedure... but the files you'd need and the instruction to do so can usually be easily found online...

Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    Frankly I'd like to see frequent (1-2 year) new releases of Windows (like OSX has), but priced more in the $15-30 range per release for an upgrade (maybe $60-100 for a new license).
    Those OSX upgrades are only for incremental OS upgrades/updates... It's why they still call it OSX (OS 10) instead of OSXI (OS 11)... So, basically, Apple users have been paying for the equivalent of a 8.1 update every two years for most of the last decade and finally moved to free and annually in the last few years... Meaning, we can't compare to them for what would be a fair price for a full OS version upgrade/update...

MS is moving more towards a service provider business model, like Google uses... Especially, with all their cloud services and multi-platform apps... While competition from otherwise free alternatives like Android and Chrome should emphasize a lower introductory price at least... but if they can make good profits from their services and apps then they'll be less inclined to charge so much for the OS...
    leeshor likes this.

Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links