Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theimortal1974 View Post
    i'm not saying the other windows versions were perfect. but they were worse than the previous versions. me was total garbage (until windows 8 on a non touchscreen computer it was the most aggravating and frustrating version to learn even though in many ways it was the same as 98), xp was better, vista was worse than xp, 7 was better than vista, 8 was worse than 7. i'm someone that has had decades of experience with windows all the way back from version 3.1. i never chose to upgrade to vista, i got a computer with it and i could barely stand it, as soon as i found out 7 was good i immediately upgraded and never looked back. ME was the last version i upgraded blindly to. even though i now have a tablet with windows 8 i will NEVER upgrade to it on my laptop because i've seen how bad it is without touch screen support (i tried to help my friend learn windows 8 on her new laptop computer.)
    Windows 8 isn't really bad without a touch screen, it just requires relearning how to do some things and that's the main problem most people run into if they already expect it to behave just like previous Windows releases... But people new to Windows usually don't have any more difficulty learning it than they would the earlier versions... Especially, if they have up to date peripherals...

Really, I've seen kids take right to it and that's the real test of whether a OS is easy to learn or not... While some coming from OSX find it easy to learn because they've been using gestures for years and OSX actually has more gesture controls than W8 does...

While MS didn't change everything, as a simple Alt+F4 works for everything by letting users close both desktop and non-desktop apps and it is one of the quick ways to shut down/reboot even in the early W8 days before W8.1 brought back more commands to the desktop side and people just had to remember to right click to get to those options...

And yes, I too have been around for decades and know the full history of Windows but no... one mustn't confuse early perception with what the whole history actually shows... Again, XP took over three years to be perceived as more stable than Win95/ME and that's longer than W8 has been around so far! It's just that XP has been around for over 14 years now that it's hard to remember how it started... And again, Vista was quickly fixed and then renamed Windows 7... So, if you like Windows 7 then you really don't actually hate Vista... You just dislike the initial impression it gave you because you tried it before they fixed it...

Basically, keep in mind W8 has come a long way in a very short time... MS usually takes much longer to fix a new release and unlike Windows 7, Windows 9 will be a lot more than just a fixed and tweaked version of W8... Threshold will introduce a ton of changes and RT will even get merged with WP to start the process of eventually merging all of MS platforms...

So, keep an open mind and be patient... a lot is going to change and while it may be a rough ride, this is really nothing new for MS and pretty much every single OS they release... even if its not always as obvious... Like how many ignore the things on the desktop that W8 actually improved... Like the taskbar can be placed on all screens in a multi-monitor setup without the need of a 3rd party add-on as you would have needed in Windows 7, ditto with wallpaper, etc. Among other examples of improvements that many seem to ignore because they get side tracked by the UI and assume way too many things about it but that's a whole other issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    I currently have plenty of space on my C: drive, but this is the reason I decided to go with the 64GB version of the T100, because you just never know how much Windows will increase in size from the original version and "if" the T100 can be updated to Win9, Win10, etc. I want to feel comfortable in knowing that I can update the OS without storage space being the limiting factor and typically, it takes some extra space to perform an OS update install.

Yeah, keeping enough free space definitely helps... Though, we aren't certain yet whether Windows 9 won't be even lighter than Windows 8... Like they may opt for the feature that only installs what you need and everything else gets optional install for later and installs only if you use it... along with better compression options... and there is always the clean install approach for some who don't need to keep anything from the previous install...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Windows 8 isn't really bad without a touch screen, it just requires relearning how to do some things and that's the main problem most people run into if they already expect it to behave just like previous Windows releases... But people new to Windows usually don't have any more difficulty learning it than they would the earlier versions... Especially, if they have up to date peripherals...

Really, I've seen kids take right to it and that's the real test of whether a OS is easy to learn or not... While some coming from OSX find it easy to learn because they've been using gestures for years and OSX actually has more gesture controls than W8 does...

While MS didn't change everything, as a simple Alt+F4 works for everything by letting users close both desktop and non-desktop apps and it is one of the quick ways to shut down/reboot even in the early W8 days before W8.1 brought back more commands to the desktop side and people just had to remember to right click to get to those options...

And yes, I too have been around for decades and know the full history of Windows but no... one mustn't confuse early perception with what the whole history actually shows... Again, XP took over three years to be perceived as more stable than Win95/ME and that's longer than W8 has been around so far! It's just that XP has been around for over 14 years now that it's hard to remember how it started... And again, Vista was quickly fixed and then renamed Windows 7... So, if you like Windows 7 then you really don't actually hate Vista... You just dislike the initial impression it gave you because you tried it before they fixed it...

Basically, keep in mind W8 has come a long way in a very short time... MS usually takes much longer to fix a new release and unlike Windows 7, Windows 9 will be a lot more than just a fixed and tweaked version of W8... Threshold will introduce a ton of changes and RT will even get merged with WP to start the process of eventually merging all of MS platforms...

So, keep an open mind and be patient... a lot is going to change and while it may be a rough ride, this is really nothing new for MS and pretty much every single OS they release... even if its not always as obvious... Like how many ignore the things on the desktop that W8 actually improved... Like the taskbar can be placed on all screens in a multi-monitor setup without the need of a 3rd party add-on as you would have needed in Windows 7, ditto with wallpaper, etc. Among other examples of improvements that many seem to ignore because they get side tracked by the UI and assume way too many things about it but that's a whole other issue...

Yeah, keeping enough free space definitely helps... Though, we aren't certain yet whether Windows 9 won't be even lighter than Windows 8... Like they may opt for the feature that only installs what you need and everything else gets optional install for later and installs only if you use it... along with better compression options... and there is always the clean install approach for some who don't need to keep anything from the previous install...
    they fixed vista by renaming it a new version and charging people to buy it again? i don't call that fixing it.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    i admit my views on xp were a bit off since it came after that horrid ME. almost anything would of looked like gold after that one.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    they fixed vista by renaming it a new version and charging people to buy it again? i don't call that fixing it.
    Again, they already mostly fixed it with the first SP release for Vista... the problem was people weren't giving it a second chance... So they tweaked it a little more and finally renamed it Windows 7 so people would give it a chance... Since, people were basically ignoring the improvements made to Vista after its initial release then it came as little surprise that when they finally did look at Windows 7 that it never occurred to most people that they were looking at basically just a fixed version of Vista... Unlike when XP was released and it was buggy but people back then gave it a chance and waited till MS fixed it and then accepted it...

While another factor was driver support, when Vista was released MS and all its partners and program developers had to basically start from scratch and so that also initially sucked at time of release but by the time Windows 7 was released a few years later the driver support had mostly been fixed and that also helped Windows 7 to be better accepted... Though, people never really got over the Vista failed launch and it wasn't until MS finally announced they were ending support for XP that Windows 7 adoption really shot up and finally made it the dominantly used version of Windows...

The basic pattern is people are getting more impatient now and that's slanting opinions, especially with the distorted view of how the previous OS releases compare... Mind, a lot of people have been spoiled by the mobile market that has advanced at a far faster rate than the PC market...

Like when Netbooks first came out a low powered ATOM was still multiple times more powerful than any ARM SoC at the time... Even a light weight Linux distro would run sluggishly, but a few years later when the Netbook market finally collapsed, ARM SoCs had already started to rival the ATOM and soon started to exceed it... at least until Intel finally got with the program and introduced Bay Trail and adopted their own rapid advancement time table for the ATOM from then on... Now both ARM and ATOM have reached multiple times those old netbook ATOM's performance and the advancement is faster than what we're seeing in the higher end PC chip market... Like Ivy Bridge to Haswell didn't improve things much for desktops and the power improvements were mainly in the lower end U & Y series chips...

Point being, both Intel and MS realize it won't be long before people can start using even mobile devices in roles/usages that previously required much higher end hardware... By 2016, we should see performance rivaling at least a first gen Core processor and the graphical performance will also exceed those early gen versions... but still be extremely power efficient...

The upcoming Braswell and Cherry Trail ATOM updates will already start closing the gap with the HD4000 level performance for the GPU and then Broxton should again double or even triple it again... As will other mobile SoCs... Especially, since graphical performance is increasing at a faster rate than CPU performance...

So, it's a good time for MS to start leveraging the advantage of a All in one OS that can adapt to multiple form factor and usages... but they run the danger of people being impatient and not waiting for the changes to eventually pay off...

i admit my views on xp were a bit off since it came after that horrid ME. almost anything would of looked like gold after that one.
    Yeah, first impressions are hard to get over...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    22 times
    My own memories on earlier versions:

XP received plenty of dislike at first, especially in geek/IT circles. Amusing that years later, the Windows 8 haters hailed XP as MS's best OS ever. Partly this may have been MS improving things with service packs (but then, we've seen improvements to Windows 8 too). Partly it was because those people (like me) were already running 2000 rather than 9x/Me, so already had all of the advantages, and just saw XP as being 2000 with extra annoying things or the odd colour scheme. To be fair, I think XP did have improvements in being more consumer friendly than 2000 (e.g., ISTR multi-user being easier to set up).

The complaints of Vista that I remember were:

* Incompatibitilies with drivers and software. Some of this was dumb stuff that always happens when a major OS change comes along (I saw one installer which quit with incompatible OS error, because it checked whether the OS major version was equal to particular values...) Hard to see how MS can avoid this, they provide the RTM version in advance for this reason. As zeo notes, the problem was fixed in time. This wasn't something that 7 fixed, rather that by basically still being Vista, the upgrade to 7 was far less of an issue.

* Worries about drop of support for OpenGL. I believe this was really a non-issue, in that MS have always left it to the gfx companies to provide OpenGL drivers, but there was worry/scaremongering at the time that MS were trying to force people onto DirectX. No change with 7.

* DirectX 10 required Vista. Not a criticism of Vista as such, but that new features required an OS upgrade. With time it became a non-issue (and most games for a period worked with both 9 and 10). No change with 7.

* Vista had much higher requirements than XP, and many laptops at the time struggled with only 1GB of RAM. Whilst 7 did improve on this I think (it seemed to run better on devices with 1GB), its system requirements were still far higher than XP. But in an age now when even phones come with 2-3GB RAM - compared to XP which was released in an age when 128MB or less was commonplace - this issue seems ancient history.

* ISTR there were complaints about DRM being forced into the OS. I'm not really sure how things panned out - maybe things weren't as bad as people feared, maybe people worked around it. I'm not aware that 7 removed any of this though. And given that these days every online video AFAIK has DRM, I fear this has become a losing battle.

* And probably most well known, the complaint about having to say okay to anything that needed admin changes. 7 did tweak these - but OTOH they still remained. And for good reason too - for security, this is right, and XP's allow anything model was not good for security. It's what non-Windows users criticised MS for years over. It's how Linux works (more strongly in fact, having to "sudo" via command line), it's how OS X (as for Apple to criticise it in their ridiculous ads was hypocritical). Windows 8 has made some things more restrictive again, such as saying it can't install software that isn't downloaded a lot, and you have to click "Advanced" or something to enable it. This kind of is annoying to users and developers like me - but when people are still complaining of their "slow PCs" that mysteriously have got clogged up with 50 toolbars (I wonder how?), I can see why MS do this (OS X does a similar thing - I'm surprised Apple haven't run an ad campaign hypocritically criticising Windows for this).

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    Will Windows 9 be available in 32bit? Our T100's only run 32 bit... right?

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dmako View Post
    Will Windows 9 be available in 32bit? Our T100's only run 32 bit... right?
    T100 has 32bit UEFI and that pretty much makes it hard to run a 64bit OS without making a lot of custom adjustments and that's the main limitation besides only having 2GB of RAM... If Asus, or any 3rd party, ever releases a 64bit UEFI for the T100 then it would be a simple matter to install 64bit OS...

A bit doubtful that Windows 9 would be 64bit only, as there is still many 32bit systems out there...

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    A bit doubtful that Windows 9 would be 64bit only, as there is still many 32bit systems out there...
    Agree we'll see a 32-bit version.
    helpifIcan likes this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Agree we'll see a 32-bit version.
    Tried buying a laptop with 32 bit Windows on it from dell ?
    The big manufacturers are finally abandoning 32 bit OS in favour of larger ram with a default of 4GB minimum which is messing up my employer who
    is peddling old hardware with configuration software that won't run with 64 bit combined with a line that says IT buys all PCs even those destined for
    end customers and IT don't understand anything beyond desktop office systems.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesmemad View Post
    Tried buying a laptop with 32 bit Windows on it from dell ?
    The big manufacturers are finally abandoning 32 bit OS in favour of larger ram with a default of 4GB minimum which is messing up my employer who
    is peddling old hardware with configuration software that won't run with 64 bit combined with a line that says IT buys all PCs even those destined for
    end customers and IT don't understand anything beyond desktop office systems.
    Actually....just bought a new laptop for MRS ASUSFAN...and we saw plenty of 32-bit WIN 8.1 machines out there. Those included HP, Dell, and ASUS...just to name of few of the "large manufacturers". In the big picture...32-bit isn't going away for a while.

According to the Microsoft folks I've read online at their blogs and knowledge base sites...they'll be a 32-bit WIN 9 version available. After all, WIN 8.1 is still pretty new, and they're not going to force all those new laptop/desktop owners to have to re-buy new hardware that quickly.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links