Liked
    7 times

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    22 times
    MS has been making Windows licences free for some devices (size, or cost, I forget which) - though I imagine these are OEM licences. It's unclear if this means there'll be free upgrades to new versions for those devices.

Cheap upgrades for a period of time (for any users) seems likely, this happened with Windows 8. Windows 7 users getting it for free would be interesting - I can see the reasoning, but it's also punishing people who paid to upgrade to 8. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 on my other laptop, so can I get it free if I first downgrade...?

I hope they don't switch to paid yearly upgrades. As a user, I find it can be more annoying to have to keep doing upgrades (Ubuntu can be annoying in this regard too), as a developer, it's a lot more testing to test applications work over multiple version (and there'll be more fragmentation if the upgrades are paid - you can't just ask people to upgrade to the latest say 8.x or 9.x version). Also more difficulties for companies - the reason they lag upgrading Windows versions is partly so they can test everything works okay with their systems (and in a multinational, this can be everything from tools you use in your local group, to company-wide systems), so this becomes more of a paid with annual versions. Okay, it's not the end of the world - and a side-benefit for MS and users is that changes can be rolled out more gradually, so you have less of the "OMG they changed everything" whining.

Are we still getting a Windows 8.1 Update 2 (as was rumoured a few months ago)? The reported features like Modern-Apps-in-Windows and Start Screen being available as a popup menu again, now seem to be planned for Windows 9.

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    245 times
    Are we still getting a Windows 8.1 Update 2 (as was rumored a few months ago)? The reported features like Modern-Apps-in-Windows and Start Screen being available as a popup menu again, now seem to be planned for Windows 9.
    I think this is not going to happen that is why there is so much speculation the pricing of WIN 9. Some think WIN 9 is the WIN 8.1 update 2.
    Last edited by Swipe; 09-20-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by helpifIcan View Post
    I think this is not going to happen that is why there is so much speculation the pricing of WIN 9. Some think WIN 9 is the WIN 8.1 update 2.
    Actually, I think we'll still be getting W8.1 updates... it's just a lot is getting confused with what they are working on for W9 but they did something similar when they upgraded Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8 by providing the 7.8 update...

Mind, it'll still be about a year from now before we'll see the final release of Windows 9 and they can ill afford to leave existing users hanging all that time...

So, regardless of whether they allow free upgrades to Windows 9, I still think we'll still be getting updates for W8.1... In fact, the rumors so far is that while the Windows 9 Preview gets monthly updates that some of them will also make their way to W8.1...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    I don't know at all how this'll play out but I'm gonna guess anyone running the official last latest version of Win8 on their device (that should include T100 owners?) will get a free upgrade to Win9 when it's released. Any previous versions of Windows such as 7 or Vista will have to pay a moderate price to upgrade... assuming their hardware "can be" upgraded and MS will have testing software to determine if the device "can be" upgraded like they've done in the past.

This scenario better aligns with Apple, Chrome, Android, etc. zero cost updates where people can freely update their device OS's until their hardware becomes the limit to updating further.

It also helps MS going forward with their need to narrow their installed base to one single OS and they can nudge older OS users at minimal cost into the latest OS and call end of life support for Vista and 7.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 09-20-2014 at 03:27 PM.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    The rumors I have been hearing are free for Windows 7 users and reduced cost (at launch) for Windows 8/8.1 users. They want to encourage the really early guys to move up and are less concerned about the more recent set.

At a guess, probably $15-30 for "early adopters", meaning probably in the first 3 months or so it'll be reduced price for anyone with Windows 8/8.1 (maybe just 8.1) and then jumping to full price.

That said, MS may move to a different model entirely. There have been strong rumors where the base windows cost will move much closer to $0 and then you'll have to pay for features you want added in (IE base windows might be more basic than it currently is). Frankly I'd like to see frequent (1-2 year) new releases of Windows (like OSX has), but priced more in the $15-30 range per release for an upgrade (maybe $60-100 for a new license).

I'd be a lot more willing and tempted to upgrade at that price. A lot of times I like lagging 3-9 months intentionally because a lot of times, MS DOES bork something, or stuff I rely on for some reason won't work (or work well) in the new release at least initially. Maybe one of the few times a release has ever been smooth and drama free for me and my software was moving from 8 to 8.1 (sole exception of Intel network card drivers as Intel abandoned most of their product line for 8.1. They did an initial drive release packed in to 8.1, and have EOL the products now for about 3/4ths of their network card range).

Every other release 3.1 to 95, 95 to 98, 98 to 2000/ME, 2000/ME to XP, XP to Vista, Vista to 7, 7 to 8 have all resulted in SOMETHING not working right, either at first or period, when it came to software I use/need. Generally within 3-6 months either the software got updated and worked properly in the new OS, or else I found an acceptable (or better) alternative.
    every other windows since 98 has been broken in some way. me, vista, 8. using that pattern there is some hope for windows 9. but after how they have handled 8 and xbox one i have no trust in microsoft. i'm sure windows 9 will be another version that is only 100% usable on touchscreen devices even though it's marketed for all devices touch screen or otherwise. i won't touch it until i find out otherwise but i don't have my hopes up.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theimortal1974 View Post
    every other windows since 98 has been broken in some way. me, vista, 8.
    Uh, nope... there was never a pattern... MS just releases OS before it's fully developed... XP actually took over three years to fix with two SP releases and it still needed a third before they were done with it... And it took all that time before people finally considered it stable enough to replace Win95/ME... Never mind Windows 2000 is included anyway because that and XP is when MS transitioned their NT Kernel to the consumer range and not just their Business class distributions...

While Vista mainly got fixed after its first SP update but people were unwilling to give it a chance... So MS tweaked it a little more and then renamed it Windows 7.... Which is why the driver support still said Vista/Windows 7 because it was still basically the same OS...

Windows 9 does mainly continue the process but...

A) They're much further along than they were when they first released Windows 8 and got a lot of the early problems fixed...

B) They've accelerated the process significantly from previously releases... The monthly updates that the Preview will be getting each month after its release are all going to be equivalent to incremental OS updates like W8 to W8.1...

Mind, even SP releases use to take well over a year to two years each and a incremental OS update is like 2-3 SP releases combined... So W8 was already on a accelerated process with its annual updates but now moving to monthly updates means we're going to get the equivalent number of changes that normally take up to several years to get through in just a matter of months!

Sure, it doesn't mean it's going to be suddenly the perfect OS... There's really no way for them to satisfy everyone anyway... but there's a good chance it will still be a much better OS and progress is progress even if it doesn't encompass everything you may want and they have to start somewhere...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Uh, nope... there was never a pattern... MS just releases OS before it's fully developed... XP actually took over three years to fix with two SP releases and it still needed a third before they were done with it... And it took all that time before people finally considered it stable enough to replace Win95/ME... Never mind Windows 2000 is included anyway because that and XP is when MS transitioned their NT Kernel to the consumer range and not just their Business class distributions...

While Vista mainly got fixed after its first SP update but people were unwilling to give it a chance... So MS tweaked it a little more and then renamed it Windows 7.... Which is why the driver support still said Vista/Windows 7 because it was still basically the same OS...

Windows 9 does mainly continue the process but...

A) They're much further along than they were when they first released Windows 8 and got a lot of the early problems fixed...

B) They've accelerated the process significantly from previously releases... The monthly updates that the Preview will be getting each month after its release are all going to be equivalent to incremental OS updates like W8 to W8.1...

Mind, even SP releases use to take well over a year to two years each and a incremental OS update is like 2-3 SP releases combined... So W8 was already on a accelerated process with its annual updates but now moving to monthly updates means we're going to get the equivalent number of changes that normally take up to several years to get through in just a matter of months!

Sure, it doesn't mean it's going to be suddenly the perfect OS... There's really no way for them to satisfy everyone anyway... but there's a good chance it will still be a much better OS and progress is progress even if it doesn't encompass everything you may want and they have to start somewhere...
    i'm not saying the other windows versions were perfect. but they were worse than the previous versions. me was total garbage (until windows 8 on a non touchscreen computer it was the most aggravating and frustrating version to learn even though in many ways it was the same as 98), xp was better, vista was worse than xp, 7 was better than vista, 8 was worse than 7. i'm someone that has had decades of experience with windows all the way back from version 3.1. i never chose to upgrade to vista, i got a computer with it and i could barely stand it, as soon as i found out 7 was good i immediately upgraded and never looked back. ME was the last version i upgraded blindly to. even though i now have a tablet with windows 8 i will NEVER upgrade to it on my laptop because i've seen how bad it is without touch screen support (i tried to help my friend learn windows 8 on her new laptop computer.)

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    I currently have plenty of space on my C: drive, but this is the reason I decided to go with the 64GB version of the T100, because you just never know how much Windows will increase in size from the original version and "if" the T100 can be updated to Win9, Win10, etc. I want to feel comfortable in knowing that I can update the OS without storage space being the limiting factor and typically, it takes some extra space to perform an OS update install.
    HowieDoin2 likes this.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theimortal1974 View Post
    i'm not saying the other windows versions were perfect. but they were worse than the previous versions. me was total garbage (until windows 8 on a non touchscreen computer it was the most aggravating and frustrating version to learn even though in many ways it was the same as 98), xp was better, vista was worse than xp, 7 was better than vista, 8 was worse than 7. i'm someone that has had decades of experience with windows all the way back from version 3.1. i never chose to upgrade to vista, i got a computer with it and i could barely stand it, as soon as i found out 7 was good i immediately upgraded and never looked back. ME was the last version i upgraded blindly to. even though i now have a tablet with windows 8 i will NEVER upgrade to it on my laptop because i've seen how bad it is without touch screen support (i tried to help my friend learn windows 8 on her new laptop computer.)
    I'm on the every other Windows version update path which seems to be the best one to be on.

Win 3.X (skipped)
    Win 95 (all in)
    Win NT 4.0 (skipped)
    Win 98 (all in)
    Win 2K (skipped)
    Win ME (skipped)
    Win XP (all in)
    Win Vista (skipped)
    Win 7 (all in)
    Win 8 (skipped)
    Win 8.1 (all in)

Which means if the trend continues, I'll probably be skipping Win 9.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 09-20-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links