Thread: Merging threads with different questions from new users

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    8 times

Merging threads with different questions from new users

There seems to be a policy on this forum where if a new user makes different threads asking different questions, a moderator will merge them into one thread (one thread per user I think). I just wanted to question this policy. To me, it doesn't make sense to put different threads together when they are about different topics, just because one user started them. It makes searching for threads at a later date harder, because the subject line does not adequately cover the contents.

I just wondered what others thought.
    Last edited by pelago; 01-16-2015 at 08:10 AM.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    I'm unaware of any thread merging using unrelated subjects. Can you provide an example?

As an aside, one of the primes purposes of the staff is to maintain order in the forums but thread merging doesn't happen all that frequently.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    The only time this happens is when a new user (not new member) is asking a whole series of "entry level" questions already well covered elsewhere on the forum and they are posting thread after thread on these basic questions.

With a new user of a device, the easiest way to answer all their questions is to allow a single thread to develop naturally as one new "entry level" question invariably leads to another.

It is done as much for the sake of the new user as anything else - but it also prevents the forum being littered with basic answers to basic questions which are not in themselves worthy of "yet another" thread.

A great many new users already do this themselves as it is the most sensible way to ask questions. For example, here are some current threads where they have started in that way
    • T100: A few weird problems (Brightness Change/Mail Application/Sleep Mode Problems)
    • T100: New T100TAM owner with a couple of questions/concerns (actually 4 different questions)
    • Memo HD 7: using external card storage - but in this thread we now have questions which have developed from the original post that cover photos, videos, storage, file manager apps, photo viewing apps, browser download locations, browser recommendations & the difference between iOS & Android for backup techniques.

You raise a fair point though Pelago and it never hurts to ask the question.

I feel we do a pretty good job here of keeping things organised and if we were to allow every "newbie" to post threads asking the same questions we would soon be getting nowhere.

It would really be best if newcomers to the forum were to follow the guidelines and search first before starting new threads - but frankly, we have more chance of seeing porcine aviation taking place than that happening on a regular basis.

All the best
    Caster, leeshor, eejit and 1 others like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    8 times
    @leeshor The two instances I'm aware of recently (I only usually read the TF701T forums) are [SOLVED] New user questions - home screen folders? Calendar app? etc and New User - Camera, NAS connection, pointer... & other new user questions...

I understand it's to try and keep things tidy, but it's just not a policy I've seen on any other forum I use and seems a little strange. It also seems a bit unfriendly to the new user, who might wonder where their thread is, and have to listen to an explanation as to why their threads were merged, which might sound rather harsh.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    I understand it's to try and keep things tidy, but it's just not a policy I've seen on any other forum I use and seems a little strange. It also seems a bit unfriendly to the new user, who might wonder where their thread is, and have to listen to an explanation as to why their threads were merged, which might sound rather harsh.
    Well we do try to phrase things in a friendly way and try not to sound or come over as harsh, but there are times when we need to be direct for clarity's sake.

Other forums you use may not follow this pattern, but then they may not be as busy as ours. Certainly if you use XDA you would find that our level of friendly moderation & organisation does not happen there. The opposite would be the case as they really do have an "iron fist" approach.

That said, we do follow this friendly and thoroughly thought through practise here and will continue to do so as long as I am one of the Forum Administrators, but as I say, you make a valid point & I have tried to explain the reasoning behind our practise to the best of my ability.

All the best
    Caster, Swipe, leeshor and 1 others like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links