Thread: That tiny First Unread Post icon

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    22 times

That tiny First Unread Post icon

As this is a forum for owners of various models of Asus Transformer - all of which have touch screens, as far as I'm aware - I was surprised to see how small the icons for First Unread Post and Last Post in Thread are. On my T100 I have to use a fibre-tipped stylus to use them and it's sometimes touch and go - and sometimes not! I could use Firefox's zoom feature to make the icons larger but then all the text is a fair bit larger so it would be a tradeoff.

Would the site owners consider making these icons a tad larger, especially for those of us with fat-finger syndrome?

Just to make it clearer, I'll describe the way I use the site. As I find a thread I want to keep up with, I press and hold the First Unread icon then select Open in New Tab. This way I only see new posts and I can close the tab when I'm finished, then go to the next interesting thread.
    FrillyBits and rscheller like this.
    Garry Knight
    Asus Transformer Book T100

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    I usually double tap the screen if it's not legible.

The T100 doesn't allow that?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    22 times
    Not in Firefox or any desktop browser, and since I upgraded to 8.1 Update 1, the only IE on my Start page is the desktop IE, so I can't try it there.

But the problem isn't zooming. If I wanted to do that I'd just use Ctrl+ to zoom in and Ctrl- to zoom out. But I'd be doing it for every thread just in order to make the icon tappable then the text readable, and so on.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.
    Garry Knight

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    12 times
    Hello Garry,
    There are three reasons for declining eyesight in the male population of the British Isles. They are drinking Irish Guinness or Newcastle Brown or McEwan's Pale Ale. HaHa! Jim.
    garryknight likes this.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    249 times
    I find myself agreeing with Garry. I often miss the icon and hit the thread title instead, or something else. I can zoom and I do zoom, but it's sometimes a bit tiring having to do that.
    To jimmie: It's not about eyesight at all. The icon is perfectly visible from just about any distance. It's about hitting a small spot (the icon) on a capacitive touch-screen (which don't have much resolution to start with - the touch-screen resolution has nothing to do with the pixel resolution) with a finger that is ten-fifteen times the diameter of the icon.

-Tor
    Last edited by Tor; 04-14-2014 at 07:29 PM. Reason: typo
    FrillyBits and garryknight like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    I often miss the icon and hit the thread title instead, or something else. I can zoom and I do zoom, but it's sometimes a bit tiring having to do that.

I just checked - you can press on the wording "View First Unread" and it will underline, highlight and display it. At least it did on my TF300.

Here's a tip - as a Moderator I changed my settings so I view the latest threads & their posts --

Forum settings>-My account >Thread display mode>Linear-Newest First
    Last edited by Swipe; 04-14-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    I just checked - you can press on the wording "View First Unread" and it will underline, highlight and display it. At least it did on my TF300.
    Where are you seeing that wording? Beginning to think I need stronger glasses...

Edit
    Ah! Never mind. I found it. I couldn't see it because I was looking on this page. And there aren't any posts here that I haven't read. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by garryknight; 04-15-2014 at 05:31 PM.
    Garry Knight

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by garryknight View Post
    .....Just to make it clearer, I'll describe the way I use the site. As I find a thread I want to keep up with, I press and hold the First Unread icon then select Open in New Tab. This way I only see new posts and I can close the tab when I'm finished, then go to the next interesting thread.
    That's how I view forums as well.
    My bookmark for this forum is http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/search.php?do=getdaily which takes me directly to Today's Posts then I press and hold the First Unread icon of every thread I want to read and open it in a new tab
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    ....with a finger that is ten-fifteen times the diameter of the icon.....
    I wish my fingers were that tiny
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    ....Here's a tip - as a Moderator I changed my settings so I view the latest threads & their posts --

Forum settings>-My account >Thread display mode>Linear-Newest First
    Good tip, feels a bit un-natural though, like reading backwards

This small icon problem exists on all the forums I am a member of (about 12) and since I use FireFox I have resorted to using the extension No Squint.
    It has an easier zoom feature with 3 icons, Plus - Default - Minus, which I have in the address bar.
    I can adjust how much it will zoom with one touch of the icon (5% 10% 20% etc) so I can quickly zoom to touch the icon then just as quickly go back to default to read the text
    When you come across a site that has small text you can change it to suit your needs and it will remain like that every time you visit the site

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ddon/nosquint/
    About this Add-on
    Having a hard time reading on the web? Is that website with the ridiculously small font and hot-pink-on-slightly-darker-hot-pink text raising your blood pressure? NoSquint can:

Override the default text-only and full-page (both text and images) zoom levels for all websites
    Enforce your own foreground and background colors
    Remember your zoom levels and color settings per site, automatically applying them when you return.
    Disagree with what NoSquint calls a site? A powerful exceptions mechanism lets you split up or group together sites with URL patterns.
    garryknight likes this.
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FrillyBits View Post
    My bookmark for this forum is http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/search.php?do=getdaily which takes me directly to Today's Posts
    That's a great idea that wouldn't work for me. I only have time to look through new posts in the T100 forum for interesting or useful threads. It would nice to have a bookmark for that. :-)
    Garry Knight

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by garryknight View Post
    That's a great idea that wouldn't work for me. I only have time to look through new posts in the T100 forum for interesting or useful threads. It would nice to have a bookmark for that. :-)
    Yeah, that would be perfect but I can't see a way to do that
    If the Today's Posts list is long I use old faithful Find Ctrl+f and type in t100 then usually Highlight All
    That makes the T100 threads stand out and it's quicker for me to get through the list
    Last edited by FrillyBits; 04-16-2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Clarification
    garryknight likes this.
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links