Thread: Why iPad? (rhetorical)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    i have the 64 gb iPad and usually have between 15-20 gb free on it. Even my 32gb + 32gb Prime always has room to spare as I've never been one to fill devices to the brim. But on my iPad I do have about 1500 pictures, 200 songs, 125 apps, 50 music videos, 1 season of Criminal Minds, and 3-5 full length movies. Now If I'm going out of town for a week I'll stick another 8-10 movies on even though I'm more apt to use NetFlix or Crackle!
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bfmetcalf View Post
    I agree with the sentiment that it is what works for you. The iPad wouldn't have worked for me really at all before building my new computer as iTunes wouldn't have worked, period. There is no way for Linux to talk to an Apple device that I have found to the extent iTunes does other than dropbox or the like. I'll also never put it on a windows box again either, way way way to slow and that was on really good hardware.
    ?

iTunes isn't needed though anymore...updates are ota, setup is just like android tablets.."sign in to your account..." type of stuff....no apps require it...

You're not required to use it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Guess they have wised up a bit. Don't much care for the UI, but the no iTunes thing is a huge improvement on their part. Now if they could just get rid of the DRM on their music and stuff.
    ThingODoom likes this.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    15 times
    I have a new catch phrase:

Familiarity breeds content

I shall patent it and will be keep an ear out for echoes and will sue for copyright infringement if not authorised use by me. Sound familiar?

Deal breaker for me now is no wide screen no buy. No return button no buy. Got so used to that that when I use ipad I keep looking for it. Never ceases to amuse me isheep's confusion over it too.

Surely if you have skype you want it to run in background else why have it? Not sure about that itunes thing but mine closes easily enough (or so I think)' not that I have need of its use much as I have not over committed to apple despite three years' iphone ownership.

That being said iOS is a smooth operator. With Adobe not supporting jellybean and no updates for existing users past August the flash advantage of droid over iOS will presumably disappear so that deal breaker also diminishes.

The sd card I never use but it's nice to know it's there. So too with the usb ports, which I only occasionally use. The clunkiness of droid I hope is improved with jb. One example is this damned cursor, as I write, which behaviour is eccentric to say the least.
    Last edited by Droidoid; 06-29-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    Bob_of_QF likes this.
    TF 101 and Dock assisted by Apple - NZ Droider

The Voyage of the Wangdangdoodler

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Droidoid View Post
    The clunkiness of droid I hope is improved with jb. One example is this damned cursor, as I write, which behaviour is eccentric to say the least.
    Do you mean the track pad? If so - there's a button to turn that off/on...very handy.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    15 times
    Nope I mean the blue crazy thing on the onscreen kb.
    TF 101 and Dock assisted by Apple - NZ Droider

The Voyage of the Wangdangdoodler

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundOfItAll View Post
    ?

iTunes isn't needed though anymore...updates are ota, setup is just like android tablets.."sign in to your account..." type of stuff....no apps require it...

You're not required to use it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Can you post a link to a demonstration of that? Because i still can't do it. The only way i could upload without iTunes is to an App. Which still doesn't let you upload directly to the device. Upload a file wirelessly to an iPod app, and those MP3's are isolated from your playlist. That's what you're so proud of?
    Bob_of_QF likes this.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    We've discussed before that tablets are not laptop replacements in any way shape or form and I'll say that this scenaro is really kinda pushing the envelop for a tablet in my opinion. But did you by chance think about creating the powerpoint or keynote file on the computer with the video embedded into it before transferring the file to the iPad via Dropbox, DtG, or even iTunes? I know it is fun to create in Keynote but since it seems to be a pain embedding video like you wanted to do it seems that instead of spending 6 hours I would have just done the project on the PC or at least the video part of it and then sent it to the iPad.
    I definitely understand they're not laptop replacements. Given the dent they're making in laptop sales, they seem to be being bought as replacements though.

That having been said the Transformer is far closer to a laptop replacement, from what I can see, and based on my experiences.

As to transferring the files via Dropbox....we're not permitted to connect work devices to the Cloud, due to security concerns. So that's a no-go.

Pretty much the only options on the idevices are connecting to iTunes, or e-mailing files (if they're small enough not to get deleted by the mail server).

PAB5204
    Bob_of_QF likes this.
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    101 times
    Usually a 15mb limit on email, so you'd have to go through annoyance to transfer without itunes :/

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Droidoid View Post
    I have a new catch phrase:

Familiarity breeds content

I shall patent it and will be keep an ear out for echoes and will sue for copyright infringement if not authorised use by me. Sound familiar?

Deal breaker for me now is no wide screen no buy. No return button no buy. Got so used to that that when I use ipad I keep looking for it. Never ceases to amuse me isheep's confusion over it too.

Surely if you have skype you want it to run in background else why have it? Not sure about that itunes thing but mine closes easily enough (or so I think)' not that I have need of its use much as I have not over committed to apple despite three years' iphone ownership.

That being said iOS is a smooth operator. With Adobe not supporting jellybean and no updates for existing users past August the flash advantage of droid over iOS will presumably disappear so that deal breaker also diminishes.

The sd card I never use but it's nice to know it's there. So too with the usb ports, which I only occasionally use. The clunkiness of droid I hope is improved with jb. One example is this damned cursor, as I write, which behaviour is eccentric to say the least.
    The lack of Flash will suck. I can say that the lack of expandable memory, ports etc. and the closed nature of iOS are pains in the butt. Some apps like DigiDNA FileApp Pro give you the ability to build a file structure on the iPad or iPhone...so you can create directories, move files over etc. But you can only do it via cable connection with an app installed on your PC, and you HAVE to have iTunes installed...which negates the whole advantage of them having said you no longer need it with iOS 5. Just trying to use my iPad productively, I've had to reinstall all the garbage software that I was cheering about being able to remove last autumn

And on top of that, as everything is sandboxed, if I want to *edit* a file that I put in the file folders created by FileApp Pro, I don't seem to be able to.

This is far more primitive functionality than that afforded by pretty much any Android tablet. On the flipside, Android's app selection for tablets is far more primitive.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links