Thread: Why iPad? (rhetorical)

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundOfItAll View Post
    NO device does EVERYTHING for EVERYONE - yes, the iPad lacks a microsd or the ability to directly plug in a mass storage device via USB and access files...however, what it DOES have generally works for most users. Not everyone is in the situation being addressed here...limited internet, living in the Philippines, transferring gigs and gigs of data regularly, refusing to use iTunes or one of the related non-itunes transferring apps (yes they do exist..and there are many on the iTunes store) - not everyone is in that situation, right?

Dropbox, itunes transfer (or one of the other programs), streaming, remote access, etc etc etc - generally works for most people. If you need to transfer gigs and gigs and gigs - a wifi enabled mass storage device (a non apple product by the way..), would make your life significantly easier...or just using iTunes or one of the other transfer apps, and spending the few seconds it takes doing a direct transfer to the iPad..

If you wanna talk about limitations, I think the ones that affect ALL users, allows for no workarounds/solutions, ..are the bigger "limitations." After being with Android for years and then switching over to iOS, the real limitations I see are the lack of apps in terms of quantity and quality on Android, compared to iOS....not very specific situations a few users construct for themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm can't agree with the statement about limited specific situations a few users construct for themselves. Some people won't run into limitation, because they really don't push their idevice beyond the bounds it was developed to serve. For other people, it's not a matter of creating false scenarios. For many users, these are legitimate problems. We don't always have cloud access. Nor can we always carry around portable storage devices like you talk about. For many people, what's available to move files? SD cards. USB thumb drives. We don't all live in areas with omnipresent net connectivity.

My example above is another perfectly valid one. We had 5 sales reps, 5 iPads, a division full of designers who Apple supporters, and even the Apple supporters couldn't figure out how to get the files onto the device. That's a problem if the device is being used for work. I've been forced to take video screen caps to show our products, and put them in my movies folder, and show them that way. It just looks unprofessional.

It's more frustrating than that, when you see Apple using an obviously consumer-oriented device, that truly is not ready for enterprise, to demolish enterprise-enabled or focused companies, who have products much better suited for work.....but far less popular with consumers.

PAB5204
    Bob_of_QF likes this.
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PAB5204 View Post
    I don't know....after spending 6 man hours between myself and a coworker this morning just trying to get videos (in accepted formats such as MP4 and MOV) onto our work iPads to embed in Keynote presentations, and giving up in frustration, there's something to be said for Android's way of doing things, which is WAY more user friendly.

So....create video. Open itunes. Import file into iTunes. Then go to movies folder, connect iPad, drag file to iPad. This may or may not work. The MP4 worked fine. The MOV file gave me a DRM warning that I didn't have permission to put the file on the device....even though I created the video myself, as it was me recording an advertising sample we'd created for a client, on my own desktop....so, last time I checked, I didn't put DRM on my own video. If I e-mailed the file to myself, I could open it in the iPad email program, and even watch the video. But I couldn't download it to the tablet. The MP4 *did* go onto the tablet.....but iOS automatically stuffed it into the Movies folder (where it plays correctly), but wouldn't let me move it to the Photos folder...which is the only folder Keynote lets you pull videos from.

Honestly, from a usability standpoint, that's pure garbage (IMO). Android ain't perfect, but Apple's way of doing things in that scenario....just seems...I don't know....I just don't get it.

Fantastic ecosystem of apps....Android has nothing to compare to Keynote, for example. But argh....you have to put up with boneheaded restrictions to benefit from that environment. It just gives me headaches every time I have to use it to do more than look at a webpage, play music, or whatever. It has the *feel* of stability...little things like apps running amok don't seem to happen as often (though they do happen). Yet I tend to get more app crashes on my iPad than on my TF101. But then, I've never had RR or SOD problems on my iPad.

PAB5204
    We've discussed before that tablets are not laptop replacements in any way shape or form and I'll say that this scenaro is really kinda pushing the envelop for a tablet in my opinion. But did you by chance think about creating the powerpoint or keynote file on the computer with the video embedded into it before transferring the file to the iPad via Dropbox, DtG, or even iTunes? I know it is fun to create in Keynote but since it seems to be a pain embedding video like you wanted to do it seems that instead of spending 6 hours I would have just done the project on the PC or at least the video part of it and then sent it to the iPad.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PAB5204 View Post
    I'm can't agree with the statement about limited specific situations a few users construct for themselves. Some people won't run into limitation, because they really don't push their idevice beyond the bounds it was developed to serve. For other people, it's not a matter of creating false scenarios. For many users, these are legitimate problems. We don't always have cloud access. Nor can we always carry around portable storage devices like you talk about. For many people, what's available to move files? SD cards. USB thumb drives. We don't all live in areas with omnipresent net connectivity.

PAB5204
    iTunes does what the user wants..or one of the other USB transfer apps.

The issue is saying "no I don't wanna do that, that, that, that, that, or that...see? It's too limited!"

Guess what? What if I don't wanna use a microsd card (for example - the Prime has the "pop out" issue..), or continually carry around a USB stick with my files...I'd also rather not carry a USB cable with me to transfer files to/from a computer..I'd prefer not to use cloud services either, because sometimes I'm in between wifi hotspots and run the risk of not being able to access the gigs and gigs NOT on my tablet already, during those times. Eh, I'd also rather not pay for 4g services...see? It's a pretty limited device..

THAT's what we're dealing with..
    Last edited by TheSoundOfItAll; 06-28-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    101 times
    Team Fortress 2 - Pyromania

LET'S GAS UP THE FLAMETHROWERS EVERYBODY!

The battle of the As --
    Apple.. Or Android!
    Who will win!? Find out tonight, on MSNBC! Or something!

Anyway, I had an itouch, it was O.K. I love my tablet 100x more, operating system wise. I just feel like I'm actually in control of things.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    This thread is off topic but that's ok since the issue was answered.

Here is the bottom line for me. I agree that Android tablets have more options and it would be nice if the iPad did have either a usb or a card slot but it doesn't and for me, that is not a deal breaker. I think everyone must have a list of "deal break items" such as:
    1) front/rear cameras - HP Touchpad out
    2) Screen size - <9.7 - Sony 9.4 tab out
    3) Screen resolution
    etc...

There are no perfect tablets but each person must decide what options he/she can live with or without and go from there. For me I currently choose the iPad's smoother operation and higher quality of apps over some of the other functionality of Android tablets such as SD card/usb due to those options not being a high priority for me. They may be a high priortity for you and therefore the iPad is not a viable option for you.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    I agree with the sentiment that it is what works for you. The iPad wouldn't have worked for me really at all before building my new computer as iTunes wouldn't have worked, period. There is no way for Linux to talk to an Apple device that I have found to the extent iTunes does other than dropbox or the like. I'll also never put it on a windows box again either, way way way to slow and that was on really good hardware.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bfmetcalf View Post
    I agree with the sentiment that it is what works for you. The iPad wouldn't have worked for me really at all before building my new computer as iTunes wouldn't have worked, period. There is no way for Linux to talk to an Apple device that I have found to the extent iTunes does other than dropbox or the like. I'll also never put it on a windows box again either, way way way to slow and that was on really good hardware.
    No problem. I will say that if you haven't tried iTunes in a while maybe the newer versions are a lot faster. If you look at my signature you'll see that I'm running it on a $350 laptop and I have about a 60 gig library and I think it runs pretty smooth. My iTunes library is on my laptop's drive D and it reads my movies and tv shows off of an external hard drive. I probably have about 200-300 gigs of video on the external drive.

I plug my iPad into a usb port on my laptop and iTunes opens up and then I just check and uncheck boxes of movies, tv shows, apps, music, and photos that I either want or don't want on my iPad and then I click sync and it gets it done.
    Current Devices:

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Yeah, its been about 5 years, I don't have any iDevices anymore (other than an iPod video that I bought something like 10 years ago and it never gets used). I actually haven't even touched Windows except to play Diablo III or at work in a couple of years. I only have W7 installed because my wife likes it.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    101 times
    I'll put it this way though, as I'm alot more strong on bloatware on my computer.
    This actually was the #1-3 dealbreaker for me, cursed iTunes.
    I just upgraded my computer, 16Gb of ram, i7 processor, so about a $500 upgrade total..
    I put iTunes in a win7 virtualbox, allocating 9Gb of ram (that's definitely enough)
    The vm box with iTunes took 33% cpu on standby, without took 18%.
    No. I am not dedicating 10-15% of my computer to iTunes, no way.
    Not to mention the 10+ registry entries, 3 msconfig entries, and other things it puts in to make sure it sticks around.
    My $0.02 on that, I really hate iTunes the most.

EDIT: To sound less Slammy, I will add that it finally runs properly (smooth), I just refuse to give up that much of my computer for One process, and a process that likes to be running all the time. (It's very hard to close, think Skype -_-)

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    90 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    This thread is off topic but that's ok since the issue was answered.

Here is the bottom line for me. I agree that Android tablets have more options and it would be nice if the iPad did have either a usb or a card slot but it doesn't and for me, that is not a deal breaker. I think everyone must have a list of "deal break items" such as:
    1) front/rear cameras - HP Touchpad out
    2) Screen size - <9.7 - Sony 9.4 tab out
    3) Screen resolution
    etc...

There are no perfect tablets but each person must decide what options he/she can live with or without and go from there. For me I currently choose the iPad's smoother operation and higher quality of apps over some of the other functionality of Android tablets such as SD card/usb due to those options not being a high priority for me. They may be a high priortity for you and therefore the iPad is not a viable option for you.
    Well, you make really good sense, Mickey. Different people have different deal breakers. You choose what's important to you alone. It's kind of crazy how some people talk on forums about one device over another; they have so much emotional investment in a motherboard surrounded by plastic, metal, rubber...whatever. I have never partaken in the iMedia world, so those limitations keep my from iPad ownership. I have 80 gigs of storage on my TF101 (16 internal plus 32 plus 32) amd 96 on my TF300 (32 internal plus 32 plus 32). I like having all that space. Currently, I have 20 full length films on each, and I'll have more when I rip some more mp4 files from DVDs. As for apps, well, my first tab was the BlackBerry PlayBook*. When you come from the no-app wasteland that is QNX, Android's selection seems like Nirvana.

Mind you, I am such a junkie that 5 minutes from now, someone could plop an iPad in front of play to with, and next thing you know, I could be running over to the Apple store screaming, "I want one!!!"

*Which, by the way, was my PlayBook deal breaker. No apps. Some ardent, and, boy, do I mean ardent PB fans insist, "Who needs app? All you need is a browser." Well, I need apps, and, no, a browser is not enough. I still have my PB. I just never use it.
    Mickeylittle and Bob_of_QF like this.
    Card Carrying Device Junkie - Wanna Make Something Of It?

Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Asus Transformer TF300 (with dock)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links