Thread: Why iPad? (rhetorical)

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    63 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PAB5204 View Post
    I don't know....after spending 6 man hours between myself and a coworker this morning just trying to get videos (in accepted formats such as MP4 and MOV) onto our work iPads to embed in Keynote presentations, and giving up in frustration, there's something to be said for Android's way of doing things, which is WAY more user friendly.

So....create video. Open itunes. Import file into iTunes. Then go to movies folder, connect iPad, drag file to iPad. This may or may not work. The MP4 worked fine. The MOV file gave me a DRM warning that I didn't have permission to put the file on the device....even though I created the video myself, as it was me recording an advertising sample we'd created for a client, on my own desktop....so, last time I checked, I didn't put DRM on my own video. If I e-mailed the file to myself, I could open it in the iPad email program, and even watch the video. But I couldn't download it to the tablet. The MP4 *did* go onto the tablet.....but iOS automatically stuffed it into the Movies folder (where it plays correctly), but wouldn't let me move it to the Photos folder...which is the only folder Keynote lets you pull videos from.

Honestly, from a usability standpoint, that's pure garbage (IMO). Android ain't perfect, but Apple's way of doing things in that scenario....just seems...I don't know....I just don't get it.

Fantastic ecosystem of apps....Android has nothing to compare to Keynote, for example. But argh....you have to put up with boneheaded restrictions to benefit from that environment. It just gives me headaches every time I have to use it to do more than look at a webpage, play music, or whatever. It has the *feel* of stability...little things like apps running amok don't seem to happen as often (though they do happen). Yet I tend to get more app crashes on my iPad than on my TF101. But then, I've never had RR or SOD problems on my iPad.

PAB5204
    This is pretty similar to my experience as well, and is partly why I sold my iPad for a Transformer. To avoid retyping my story, I'll just link to this: Why I sold my Apple iPad and bought an ASUS Transformer tablet | Liquid Quartz from the honeycomb days. The kicker is that the iPad lost out to my big, heavy ThinkPad while on an airplane. It was that bad.

I've found that one of the ways Apple makes things simpler is by reducing. Eliminate as many interfaces as possible until you have only one button left. Then there's no more ambiguity and it's easy to use for any noob. The problem is when you actually have something different you want to do in mind. Tough luck! The functions that are there are intuitive, but searching for that non-existent vital function will frustrate you!
    Last edited by sculptedstylus; 06-28-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    scottporter and Bob_of_QF like this.
    Tablet: Asus TF101 B9O 16 GB + 32 GB microSD | SOC: 1.4 GHz Tegra 2 | OS: Team EOS 4 JB 4.2.2 (latest nightly) | Kernel: KAT 103 | Dock: B7O
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 16 GB | SOC: 1.2 GHz OMAP4 | OS: stock JB 4.1.2 (JZO54K)
    Laptop: Dell XPS 1340 | CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600 w/ 4GB DDR3 dual-channel | OS: Win7 Pro | Other: copper mod

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zAlbee View Post
    Apple constructed the limitations here. Don't go blaming the user because they didn't want to do it the "Apple way".
    NO device does EVERYTHING for EVERYONE - yes, the iPad lacks a microsd or the ability to directly plug in a mass storage device via USB and access files...however, what it DOES have generally works for most users. Not everyone is in the situation being addressed here...limited internet, living in the Philippines, transferring gigs and gigs of data regularly, refusing to use iTunes or one of the related non-itunes transferring apps (yes they do exist..and there are many on the iTunes store) - not everyone is in that situation, right?

Dropbox, itunes transfer (or one of the other programs), streaming, remote access, etc etc etc - generally works for most people. If you need to transfer gigs and gigs and gigs - a wifi enabled mass storage device (a non apple product by the way..), would make your life significantly easier...or just using iTunes or one of the other transfer apps, and spending the few seconds it takes doing a direct transfer to the iPad..

If you wanna talk about limitations, I think the ones that affect ALL users, allows for no workarounds/solutions, ..are the bigger "limitations." After being with Android for years and then switching over to iOS, the real limitations I see are the lack of apps in terms of quantity and quality on Android, compared to iOS....not very specific situations a few users construct for themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundOfItAll View Post
    NO device does EVERYTHING for EVERYONE - yes, the iPad lacks a microsd or the ability to directly plug in a mass storage device via USB and access files...however, what it DOES have generally works for most users. Not everyone is in the situation being addressed here...limited internet, living in the Philippines, transferring gigs and gigs of data regularly, refusing to use iTunes or one of the related non-itunes transferring apps (yes they do exist..and there are many on the iTunes store) - not everyone is in that situation, right?

Dropbox, itunes transfer (or one of the other programs), streaming, remote access, etc etc etc - generally works for most people. If you need to transfer gigs and gigs and gigs - a wifi enabled mass storage device (a non apple product by the way..), would make your life significantly easier...or just using iTunes or one of the other transfer apps, and spending the few seconds it takes doing a direct transfer to the iPad..

If you wanna talk about limitations, I think the ones that affect ALL users, allows for no workarounds/solutions, ..are the bigger "limitations." After being with Android for years and then switching over to iOS, the real limitations I see are the lack of apps in terms of quantity and quality on Android, compared to iOS....not very specific situations a few users construct for themselves.

The pc tablets will destrooooooy both android and ios, ofcourse this is for people who still have both feet on the ground and understand that real work on a mobile device is done on an desktop OS running on a tablet. But this world is filled with brand lovers so I have no high hopes for the sale numbers of windows surface pro and Transformer Pad.

B60 TF101 16gb WW version. Never rooted.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by anarox View Post
    The pc tablets will destrooooooy both android and ios, ofcourse this is for people who still have both feet on the ground and understand that real work on a mobile device is done on an desktop OS running on a tablet. But this world is filled with brand lovers so I have no high hopes for the sale numbers of windows surface pro and Transformer Pad.

Depends on price, how Microsoft maintains it, quantity/quality of apps for the non full windows version..

The more expensive one looks great though! I'd just hate to get the cheaper one and be in the same situation as with android, app wise.

Wonder what the gpu will be, how it will handle games etc..

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    57 times
    Depends on price, how Microsoft maintains it, quantity/quality of apps for the non full windows version..

The more expensive one looks great though! I'd just hate to get the cheaper one and be in the same situation as with android, app wise.

Wonder what the gpu will be, how it will handle games etc..

I would buy the ipad if I had a choice between windows surface RT (mobile) and ipad. I don't belive that windows will be able to beat ios app wise. It's full windows I base my statments on, we both know how full windows works so if it has no limitations it will be the most productive tablet out there.

I am not sure what the GPU will be, but the i5 cpu has HD3000 or HD4000 built in, it's the same GPU that macbook pro have. It's good enough to run most new games on medium or so with some things disabled. Diablo 3 would work 100% with no lag, BF3 could even work.

HD3000 is similiar to nvidia 300, 350 chipset.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    31 times
    I would buy the ipad if I had a choice between windows surface RT (mobile) and ipad. I don't belive that windows will be able to beat ios app wise. It's full windows I base my statments on, we both know how full windows works so if it has no limitations it will be the most productive tablet out there.

I am not sure what the GPU will be, but the i5 cpu has HD3000 or HD4000 built in, it's the same GPU that macbook pro have. It's good enough to run most new games on medium or so with some things disabled. Diablo 3 would work 100% with no lag, BF3 could even work.

HD3000 is similiar to nvidia 300, 350 chipset.

. I like where technology is headed.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    57 times
    . I like where technology is headed.

btw I was testing the app "pages" today, I was very impressed. They really got good apps over in ios. It is worth the 7 euro.

Mickeylittle likes this.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PAB5204 View Post
    It's an interesting point. If we just "rent" our media......then doesn't that mean that if the media breaks down (ie. disk is scratched), they owe you a new disk, file, whatever? If it's a rental, they have responsibility to provide a working service for the duration of the relationship. If they don't have that responsibility, then it's not a rental, it's a purchase. That's IMO, of course.

PAB5204
    Well yes and no--- so long as you remain in good standing with Amazon? (and don't get your account bannated or closed..) You can always re-download any of the media you purchased from them, with limits. So long as you purchased your MP3's after they implemented the Amazon cloudwhatsit-- older MP3's, not so much (or so I've been told--haven't tested it). With your Kindle books, you can always re-download the books to any registered Kindle/Kindle-app. You may have up to 7 of these registered to any single account, meaning you could conceivably have up to 7 copies of the book here or there.

So what happens if your account gets bannated, because you break one of the hidden (or not-so-hidden) rules? (There was a case where a dude got his closed, because he apparently returned one too many items-- the exact number is not known, Amazon won't say--yet they frequently advertize their easy return policy--but don't mention an upper limit....!! )

Well, if you de-register your Kindle, you could theoretically re-register it under a different account. Or you could leave it de-registered.

But any books it has, remain-- they are not deleted under the normal circumstances. But heaven help you if you have to do a super-factory reset (I've had to do this--rare, but can happen). That wipes the memory, wiping your books.

Now, you could create a backup of all those files somewhere or other-- the folders are not locked, so a simple USB--> computer just works-- the computer thinks the Kindle is just another USB device. And after the wipe, copy those back to your Kindle, and they'll still be readable.

But the DRM Amazon puts in, makes those copies unusable on any other device -- even if it's registered to you -- so if your kindle dies? Even with a backup, your books are so much hash. (you could strip out the DRM, but that's illegal at the federal level... go figure)

As for the MP3's Amazon sells? Those files are pure-D MP3, with zero DRM inside-- they'll play on anything that understands MP3's. I have tested this-- it's true.

Amazon now has movies. I have no experience of any kind with these-- but I would presume they use the Netflix business model, in that they evaporate after a certain time period.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zAlbee View Post
    I've found that one of the ways Apple makes things simpler is by reducing. Eliminate as many interfaces as possible until you have only one button left. Then there's no more ambiguity and it's easy to use for any noob. The problem is when you actually have something different you want to do in mind. Tough luck! The functions that are there are intuitive, but searching for that non-existent vital function will frustrate you!
    Intuitive? Not for me it ain't-- too many years of DOS and PC's make "the apple way" an extreme exercise in frustration for me. "the apple way" isn't they way I learned how to do stuff-- so it's back to the--wait? WHAT manual? It's on the device? But I can't get the infernal device to work to get at the manual... !
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    btw I was testing the app "pages" today, I was very impressed. They really got good apps over in ios. It is worth the 7 euro.

Pages and Keynote are both beast as the younger generation says it today! Numbers is ok but the other 2 are way better than Docs to Go or any office package I've seen.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links