Thread: Why iPad? (rhetorical)

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    And as I've said many times, the ipad is a wonderful device so long as you're in the comfort of your own home/office/niche. Some of us are really on the go and where we end up might not have the luxury of itunes and a high speed network readily available.

This begs the question. Why the hell is apple refusing to add in a micro sdcard slot? Why not just allow plug and transfer? Why oh why?
    In the end that is the main reason I bought an android tablet.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    I don't own a kindle. I sometimes buy their ebooks, though. DRM is highly annoying.
    Yes, it is. But it's the new way of doing-- you no longer own your media, you just get to "rent" it for a time.

Try transferring your Kindle books to another amazon customer-- you can't.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    I have both tablet types and agree that there is more flexibility with an SD card slot etc... however for me there are such FEW (if ever) times when I need a file or whatever and the place where I am has a computer that I could stick an SD card in but they don't have wifi so that they couldn't also just send the file to Dropbox or several other options for me.

Granted, some people out there (a minority I would imagine) actually end up at other people's houses and download gigs and gigs of media because you're too cheap to buy your own rock-n-roll! But on the rare occasion if I was to want a friends CD and it had 1-15 songs on it, Dropbox can handle that task pretty quick! But again go with the Android and the SD card just in case you need Fort Knox from your buddy's house! lol
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    I don't know....after spending 6 man hours between myself and a coworker this morning just trying to get videos (in accepted formats such as MP4 and MOV) onto our work iPads to embed in Keynote presentations, and giving up in frustration, there's something to be said for Android's way of doing things, which is WAY more user friendly.

So....create video. Open itunes. Import file into iTunes. Then go to movies folder, connect iPad, drag file to iPad. This may or may not work. The MP4 worked fine. The MOV file gave me a DRM warning that I didn't have permission to put the file on the device....even though I created the video myself, as it was me recording an advertising sample we'd created for a client, on my own desktop....so, last time I checked, I didn't put DRM on my own video. If I e-mailed the file to myself, I could open it in the iPad email program, and even watch the video. But I couldn't download it to the tablet. The MP4 *did* go onto the tablet.....but iOS automatically stuffed it into the Movies folder (where it plays correctly), but wouldn't let me move it to the Photos folder...which is the only folder Keynote lets you pull videos from.

Honestly, from a usability standpoint, that's pure garbage (IMO). Android ain't perfect, but Apple's way of doing things in that scenario....just seems...I don't know....I just don't get it.

Fantastic ecosystem of apps....Android has nothing to compare to Keynote, for example. But argh....you have to put up with boneheaded restrictions to benefit from that environment. It just gives me headaches every time I have to use it to do more than look at a webpage, play music, or whatever. It has the *feel* of stability...little things like apps running amok don't seem to happen as often (though they do happen). Yet I tend to get more app crashes on my iPad than on my TF101. But then, I've never had RR or SOD problems on my iPad.

PAB5204
    Last edited by PAB5204; 06-27-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    zAlbee and Bob_of_QF like this.
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_of_QF View Post
    Yes, it is. But it's the new way of doing-- you no longer own your media, you just get to "rent" it for a time.

Try transferring your Kindle books to another amazon customer-- you can't.
    It's an interesting point. If we just "rent" our media......then doesn't that mean that if the media breaks down (ie. disk is scratched), they owe you a new disk, file, whatever? If it's a rental, they have responsibility to provide a working service for the duration of the relationship. If they don't have that responsibility, then it's not a rental, it's a purchase. That's IMO, of course.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundOfItAll View Post
    I've said this before - the solution for your scenario is a wireless mass storage device (where you can locally load all your gigs on it, then stream them to your tablet via the mass storage devices built in wifi antenna..)..

Or Android works just as well for your case..
    And as i've said before, your solution is to add another $100 gadget to your inventory that you also have to maintain?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
    And as i've said before, your solution is to add another $100 gadget to your inventory that you also have to maintain?
    As I replied to that - I'm just telling you how to do it. Whatever box of limitations you construct for yourself is your issue.

Mass storage isn't just for iPad by the way. It's backup, works with many devices besides the iPad..

Anyway, that's one solution..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Apple makes more profit from charging people more money for idevices with larger storage than they do if customers buy an idevice with small storage, and then buy an inexpensive memory card to increase the capacity.

PAB5204
    cmariusalin and Bob_of_QF like this.
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    63 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundOfItAll View Post
    As I replied to that - I'm just telling you how to do it. Whatever box of limitations you construct for yourself is your issue.

Mass storage isn't just for iPad by the way. It's backup, works with many devices besides the iPad..

Anyway, that's one solution..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Apple constructed the limitations here. Don't go blaming the user because they didn't want to do it the "Apple way".
    Bob_of_QF likes this.
    Tablet: Asus TF101 B9O 16 GB + 32 GB microSD | SOC: 1.4 GHz Tegra 2 | OS: Team EOS 4 JB 4.2.2 (latest nightly) | Kernel: KAT 103 | Dock: B7O
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 16 GB | SOC: 1.2 GHz OMAP4 | OS: stock JB 4.1.2 (JZO54K)
    Laptop: Dell XPS 1340 | CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600 w/ 4GB DDR3 dual-channel | OS: Win7 Pro | Other: copper mod

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PAB5204 View Post
    Apple makes more profit from charging people more money for idevices with larger storage than they do if customers buy an idevice with small storage, and then buy an inexpensive memory card to increase the capacity.

PAB5204
    google just pulled that move with nexus, So sad...

B60 TF101 16gb WW version. Never rooted.
    Bob_of_QF likes this.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links