Thread: Why iPad? (rhetorical)

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    No biggie but 2 problems... 1) 1mbps is a very slow connection and 2) how often are you really trying to download 5gb of music from a friend's house!
    We move about 10 gigs of anime at a time (usually more) that includes FLC's, CBR/CBZs, as well as MKV's. I personally cycle through a gig of anime through my devices at a time. It's a media consumption tablet, don't tell me you let your media files sit on your device for months?

1mbps is the average. Even if you live in a place where you get 10mbps connections, the rest of us don't. A 3mbps connection here costs $70. You really think a drop box is practical?
    Last edited by Hajile; 06-26-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    I also dont see myself properly using dropbox for movies and music, i have a much faster connection than 1mbps but the upload speed it still terrible at about 3mbps and it takes forever when i could just plug in a device and get at least a constant 30mb/s, i occasionally use dropbox for my work files as a backup and so i can retrieve the files at college (high school for US i think) and even then it can be quite a pain and take me 10x longer compared to putting it on a memory stick

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    466 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
    We move about 10 gigs of anime at a time (usually more) that includes FLC's, CBR/CBZs, as well as MKV's. I personally cycle through a gig of anime through my devices at a time. It's a media consumption tablet, don't tell me you let your media files sit on your device for months?

1mbps is the average. Even if you live in a place where you get 10mbps connections, the rest of us don't. A 3mbps connection here costs $70. You really think a drop box is practical?
    But Hajile, haven't you heard of this paradigm shift away from plug and transfer?
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    31 times
    And the fact that it doesn't work on your local network is why i still don't use it. You guys keep pushing for it, but i keep telling you that regularly sending hundreds of megs of information over a 1mbps connection when you cycle your files through your tablet is simply impractical. Upload 5Gigabytes of MP3s to dropbox where your upload rate is 50kilobytes per second, and then download them again where your download rate is 100Kilobytes per second... or you can simply copy them onto a memory card and stick that in. Which is probably easier when you're in someone elses house.
    I've said this before - the solution for your scenario is a wireless mass storage device (where you can locally load all your gigs on it, then stream them to your tablet via the mass storage devices built in wifi antenna..)..

Or Android works just as well for your case..

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    My solution to the kindle books is I strip out the drm and really own my ebooks for real. This requires a bit of programming know-how, though.
    And is highly illegal. But there you go-- so long as Amazon never catches you at it (if they do, they'll ban your account, and you, and your kindle from being registered).
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times

I use iTunes and just check mark 4-6 movies that I want to add to my iPad whenever I feel like it. That takes less than 5 minutes for me and the movie sizes are probably about 1.25gb each. And with iTunes your Internet speed doesn't matter!
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    57 times
    I use iTunes and just check mark 4-6 movies that I want to add to my iPad whenever I feel like it. That takes less than 5 minutes for me and the movie sizes are probably about 1.25gb each. And with iTunes your Internet speed doesn't matter!
    I stream through my usb without the movies having to be transfered wuuut wuuut

B60 TF101 16gb WW version. Never rooted.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    466 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_of_QF View Post
    And is highly illegal. But there you go-- so long as Amazon never catches you at it (if they do, they'll ban your account, and you, and your kindle from being registered).
    I don't own a kindle. I sometimes buy their ebooks, though. DRM is highly annoying.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    466 times
    And as I've said many times, the ipad is a wonderful device so long as you're in the comfort of your own home/office/niche. Some of us are really on the go and where we end up might not have the luxury of itunes and a high speed network readily available.

This begs the question. Why the hell is apple refusing to add in a micro sdcard slot? Why not just allow plug and transfer? Why oh why?
    Mickeylittle likes this.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    ...This begs the question. Why the hell is apple refusing to add in a micro sdcard slot? Why not just allow plug and transfer? Why oh why?
    Because they want to sell 3g models? Keep you tethered to their ecosystem...
    scottporter likes this.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links