Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    I looked at vlbaindoor's post re: voltage/amp requirements and we must be talking about 2 different things or there is a big difference between the UK voltage and the US voltage vs. AMPs

I have a device that plugs into an outlet and anything you plug into it - it will read input and output voltage, AMP/h and AMP draw very accurately. I have never seen my TF draw more than .28 or .29 AMPs during charging. Anyone else?
    For charging any battery, you need a specific voltage, a specific current and time - so invariably Volt Ampere Hours is the amount of energy that is put into the battery.

Leeshor when you say 0.28 or 0.29 Amps, at what voltage do you mean?

Assuming your 0.28 A is at 110V, it means (110 * 0.28) is the Volt Amperes which turns out to be 30.8. Now if the mains voltage is 220 V then in the UK the charger would draw 0.14 Amps from the mains.

Please note I was talking about the current that is put into the battery and I did say 1.5 Amps at 15 V - which is actually 22.5 volt amperes. Then there is the efficiency of the charger itself - assuming 70% efficiency of the charger itself it comes to around 32.14 VA.

So I would say 35 watts is a good round (and safe) figure to work with when you want to charge so many TFs all in one place - and if they are all in one room then if you assume a higher figure for this then you are that much safer - hence I said about 45w - which has a comfortable safety margin. As you know we are talking about a school and lots of children involved here - safer is better.
    VLBaindoor

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    The device indicates an input voltage to the charger of 120v and consuming .25-.28 AMP when charging the tablet, zero when not connected to the tablet.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Power Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    The device indicates an input voltage to the charger of 120v and consuming .25-.28 AMP when charging the tablet, zero when not connected to the tablet.
    Thank you leeshor.
    It is a very useful information: 30-35 watts!
    That means that the small black box is able to supply more than 6Amp!! (if I'm not wrong, but 30w/5v=6A)
    Is that the reason why other smaller chargers (from HTC or similar, how many Amp?) and the PC USB (.5A per port) are not able at all to charge it? Does anyone know if it is foreseen a lower current charging (as for example the one supplied for mantaining over the 90% of regular or fast charge)?
    Hi,
    Carlo

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crolt View Post
    Thank you leeshor.
    It is a very useful information: 30-35 watts!
    That means that the small black box is able to supply more than 6Amp!! (if I'm not wrong, but 30w/5v=6A)
    Is that the reason why other smaller chargers (from HTC or similar, how many Amp?) and the PC USB (.5A per port) are not able at all to charge it? Does anyone know if it is foreseen a lower current charging (as for example the one supplied for mantaining over the 90% of regular or fast charge)?
    Hi,
    Carlo
    When the Asus Charger detects the Asus Charger cable connected to it and it finds the Asus Tablet (with or without dock) it actually supplies upto 15V - the current drawn at this voltage is controlled by the electronics within the TF. The other charging situations you mentioned would not be able to supply anything more than 5V generally - so they would need long long time to charge TF.
    VLBaindoor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links