Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times

Smile Noob from NJ, USA

Hi, All:

An avid ASUS fan here from Neptune, NJ (US of A).

I got mine on Monday, 2011-Aug-22. (I was supposed to get it on Fri, but I had my headphones on and did not hear the UPS guy ring the doorbell. Grrr.!!!)

Glad to know about this forum.

I am all bummed out about the Netflix issue. One moment the link is available and then, next thing you know, it is gone. (Asus' facebook page explained that "it was all a mistake." The apk was a development version; not a production version; and all links to it were removed.)

I am an android newbie and still figuring out how to take a look at its innards.

Looking for a site for taking an android tablet apart (i.e., figuratively speaking ) and "taking a look inside" and be an "admin" user. Any recommendations?

(And BTW, how do you literally take the Transformer apart? I do not see any screws? Is it ever user serviceable? )

Thanks.

===================
    NB 1:
    Preparing for hurricane Irene. I live close to the central NJ beach; but north of the declared areas of evacuation by Gov Christie. It's relatively safer here at Neptune, NJ; but it helps to be prepared.

NB 2:
    I've been using my Asus Transformer for a few days now and I am finding that any activities that include high interaction with the browser (such as posting this intro post) are painfully sluggish . So I am posting this using my Asus 1215N netbook.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    337 times
    Hello Towers and welcome to the forum. I remember seeing pictures of a teardown of a transformer- weeks ago. Unfortunately I can't remember where. Google an asus Transformer teardown and you might find it again! It's out there somewhere in cyberspace. Lots of pics too. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you need anything.
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times

Cool

Thanks.

Just an hour ago, I was able to find the latest Netflix build; and after updating my firmware, Netflix works!

Now, the next project is how to "look inside" the Asus Transformer (without wrecking it)...
    Last edited by towers1209; 08-26-2011 at 01:43 AM. Reason: typos

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    As for the slow browser issues just go get Dolphin HD or Opera Mobile from the Market.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    As for the slow browser issues just go get Dolphin HD or Opera Mobile from the Market.
    Which one do u prefer?
    Last edited by towers1209; 08-26-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by towers1209 View Post
    Which one do u prefer?
    Try them both. I'm using Opera Mobile. I love it, but I have one issue where whenever I type text into a text box, then close the keyboard, the text disappears. I don't know if this is Opera, Swiftkey, or just a fluke, but it's a major pain when typing things like forum replies. I should do some testing on that. But I digress.

EDIT: Nope, just had the same lost-text bug using Thumb Keyboard. Maybe it is Opera Mobile.... I just tested Maxthon Tab and wasn't impressed. It's a bit busy, not very pretty, and lags quite a bit. OM works much better in my opinion, and on my machine. YMMV.
    Last edited by SilverZero; 08-26-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    337 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
    Try them both. I'm using Opera Mobile. I love it, but I have one issue where whenever I type text into a text box, then close the keyboard, the text disappears. I don't know if this is Opera, Swiftkey, or just a fluke, but it's a major pain when typing things like forum replies. I should do some testing on that. But I digress.

EDIT: Nope, just had the same lost-text bug using Thumb Keyboard. Maybe it is Opera Mobile.... I just tested Maxthon Tab and wasn't impressed. It's a bit busy, not very pretty, and lags quite a bit. OM works much better in my opinion, and on my machine. YMMV.
    Go into your settings in opera and set the zoom to 100% and that will fix the text from disappearing. Drove me crazy one day till Fred passed that info on!

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by towers1209 View Post
    Thanks.

Just an hour ago, I was able to find the latest Netflix build; and after updating my firmware, Netflix works!

Now, the next project is how to "look inside" the Asus Transformer (without wrecking it)...
    Can you explain how to do this? How to find the latest Netflix build?
    towers1209 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    337 times
    Quote Originally Posted by laurellane View Post
    Can you explain how to do this? How to find the latest Netflix build?
    here's the link with the latest -

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ta-update.html
    download and install- I usually throw it in my dropbox and access it with my TF- install from there.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times

Cool browser tab "hoarder"

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
    Try them both. I'm using Opera Mobile. I love it, ...
    I am using Dolph and Firefox as alternate browsers. (I will try Opera later.) I am one of those who tend to use multiple tabs on a browser (a sort of a Tab "hoarder"; you know the kind who thinks, "Hmm, I might need this tab later, I will not delete it yet. I may have trouble looking for it later." The same kind of person who bookmarks a web page, if forced to to delete a tab because the max allowable tab in the browser is reached; then end up with tons of bookmarks.)

Anyway, with my browsing habit, it gets to the point where the browser is bugged down, no matter what browser I use. My Asus 1215N netbook could tolerate this habit of mine pretty well. I was kind of expecting the same capacity with the tablet. But I guess i was kind of expecting more than what the tablet is capable of doing.

Neverthless, even if I am not using more than a couple of tabs on the tablet browser, the browser is bogged down if I am posting on any forum. Perhaps, if there's a tapatalk client for the forum, I will not be having the same problem.

Will there be a tapatalk client for "transformerforums.com" anytime soon???
    <posted using Asus 1215N netbook>

=================
    I am now editing this post using my tablet's Opera. The sluggishness is not there at all, though it takes some getting used to (no multiple tab feature, fo one). Come to think of it. Most of the frustrations comes with my "Windows/PC muscle memories" interfering with using an Android tablet docked on the keyboard. I guess the docked transformer triggers a cognitive dissonance. I tend to "use" the Transformer as a regular netbook when I am using the keyboard.

One issue that I am having right now is that while I am editing, I sometimes accidentally touch (however lightly) the mousepad and I either get kicked out ot of the edit mode (if the 'circle' happens to be outside of the edit box) or end up typing texts at places I did not intend to edit because the edit cursor jumps somewhere else in the text (if the "circle" happens to be lurking somewhere else in the edit box).

Anyway, the "one issue" mentioned above is part of getting used to Android (/Opera) and internalizing its difference from Windows. Part of my learning process.

As for the browser issue, I am beginning to like the responsiveness of Opera (inspite of the fact that there is no multiple tab feature, among oher things).
    Last edited by towers1209; 08-27-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links