Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

extreme newbie with questions and more questions

I have experience with XP.
    After much research I just purchased the ASUS Transformer 16GB with Keyboard Dock and a 16 something or other memory card.

Nothing seems real on the ASUS. For example --

1 Downloaded all of the suggested downloads on this site to link ASUS to PC with XP - 12 hours later Splash Remote won't connect to PC equipped with Remote Streamer - I see others are having similar problems

2 I naively thought that I could load up a memory card with e-books from the PC and transfer them to ASUS - 12 hours later I am in the process of giving up.

I had such high hopes for the android but a mere human like me stands no chance

What a find it would be if I could find a SIMPLE step-by-step guide - is there such a holy grail for newbies?

and below it says - Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) - what!

and what are "tags?"

Help

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    XP user here too -- and a week-old TF newbie.

#1 -- Can't really help there... I simply download files onto a microSD card, then stick it into my TF. Something easy that just couldn't be done with an iPad. Data files like photos, videos and songs don't change much (if at all) -- so it's kind of a one-off process anyway. Data files that change a lot (Excel or Word, etc.) -- I sync using the cloud (e.g. Dropbox).

#2 -- I transferred my PDF data files efortlessly from PC to TF via microSD card as described. If you are having trouble, I suspect something to do with your ebooks' electronic copyright protection? If you use Kindle, for example, then you can't just copy the books the way you do with other data. You have to install Kindle on your TF, then go to your account and download (sync) with the TF those books which you have already purchased.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    337 times

Breathe!!

Hello ajeffrey and welcome to the forum..

First of all take a deep breath and relax!!! I am not techie oriented, so I don't bother with splashtop and such!! But I do use ereaders. Most ereader apps use the epub format for your books. Depending on what app you are using, they find your books differently. I put all my books on my external sd card and the native reader on the TF will find them automatically.That's the "my library" one.

Adobe reader will also find your pdf files.

Aldiko needs to be set up differently. Let me know is you need this info for aldiko. Your books have to be in a folder called import, inside another folder called( I forget- will have to look it up- or google how to load books in aldiko), then you have to import using aldiko. I haven't taken the time to set up my own aldiko cause other apps work OK.

Also, if you open your sd card- (its an icon on the notification bar), you can find your books and open them with whatever choice pops up, assuming you have several reader apps on your tablet.

Nook- Kindle-Laputa-aldiko-moon+reader-cool reader- They all work a little differently. So have fun and explore what ones you like. Go to the market, search ereaders, and start trying them out. They are all free.

Tags are subjects you can search for in posts.

Just play for awhile and learn your tablet. Then ask questions for things you need more info on. And relax- It's suppose to be fun!!!!!!
    Last edited by buzzman; 08-14-2011 at 09:48 PM.
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    337 times
    Ben is correct with the drm issue. It's a shame that you buy a book and can't read it from one platform to another. But there is a kindle app and a nook app.
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    For the Splashtop, did it work after you installed? Maybe reboot your XP computer to see if that fixes it.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Welcome to the forum ajeffrey. Be sure and post back so we will know the status of how you're doing.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links