Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

New to Forum-love it!

recent tech history to present: This is long so I will not be hurt if you don't read it!
    Prior to 2010- no real interest in PC performance only as it applied to MS office and other work applications...I used to drink rather heavily! : )

2010- HP Pavilion DV4 laptop, 4GB, AMD proc, 320GB HDD. Looked good, performed ok but was loud and hot!! Eventually tired of heat and noise and decided to move on at end of 2011. Interest in "what's under the hood" technology-wise started about here as I investigated root cause of noise and heat.

2012- Purchased i3 Dell N5040 Inspiron 15" on Craigslist brand new for $300.00. Didn't realize what an exceptional deal that was at the time but I still use this laptop as my "home-base" machine as it works superbly and supports dual external monitors. This is what I use for any hard core computing around home and it really works well for me. I added 4GB ram to bring it to 8GB total and replaced HDD with 250GB Samsung SSD in mid-2013 for $190.00 from Frys. At the time a pretty good deal. Around this time I started to develop a strong interest in the inner workings of PC's, cell phones and tech in general. No coincidence that drinking tapered dramatically during this era!! Also around this time purchased a gen 2 Ipad for wife. No real regrets with that purchase as it is still going strong today although I rarely if ever use it-my grandson uses it mainly for minecraft, videos and other things. He has it now as he and granddaughter are in FL vacationing.

2013- Now I have purchased a laptop for my wife-a HP G series with pentium processor and 4GB ram. Bought this used from craigslist for $225.00 and swapped HDD with PNY 120GB SD and this laptop does its job as a primary PC for wife and backup/pilot PC for me to try new things with. Dell still going strong BUT...my interest in tech is causing me to yearn for more!!! Ever been there??? It is overwhelming!!! So lets now move into late 2013 and early 2014
    Late 2013 to present: My knowledge is growing daily and I read most tech sites on a regular basis. I can't help but notice that nearly EVERY site rates Macbook Air and Pro #1 and #2- almost across the board. So.....I purchase a new, max spec'd 13" Macbook Air. The unboxing and setup was almost surreal...beautiful from start to finish. I tossed Dell N5040 into the corner and thought about sending with the next trash truck. Used Air for 4 days and used Logmein to get to my work PC and work for a couple hours each night as I had done with my Dell. PROS: Thoroughly enjoyed learning a new OS, Air was light and gorgeous, performed "OK"; CONS: Productivity went into the toilet as much of my work world is based on Excel and Office for Mac 2011 suuuuuuuuuuucked, at least for me. I generate massive amounts of data and the Mac took far too long to open and save my workbooks. So, how 'bout a MB Pro? Traded in Air for new spec'd to the max 13" Macbook Pro. Same pros and cons were similar but I had an epiphany- Was this thing really worth 6 of my Dell N5040's? Um, no it wasn't. I gave that back to Apple as well and went BEGGING back to my Dell. She took me back and I will never EVER leave windows for mac again. I'm not saying that windows is better for everyone but it is better for me. I would never have been happy had I not tried #1 and #2 ranked laptops in the world but they're not for me. PLEASE do not try to explain to me that I didn't give it enough time or should have tried this or that. I'm a windows guy and likely always will be.
    SO I looked and looked and read and read and thought about what piece of technology was going to curb my desire for something portable yet usable. Surface? Definitely not RT and Pro is priced too high. Also not a fan of the green magnetic keyboards- reminds me of toys I used when younger. Yoga? Enticing and on the short list and have played with them at Best Buy...not bad at all! Still wasn't giving me warm and fuzzy. HP Split? Played with it and not bad, etc... Oh, was also leery of Windows 8 or 8.1 or 8.anything from all of the negativity out there about the OS's. Touchscreen did intrigue me though... Same or similar for Asus top-end laptops, Acer Aspire laptops, Dell XPS (only the price really bothered me there). And on and on!!! I'll end my reader's misery with this- I stumbled on an article about the Asus Transformer Book T100, rushed out on July 4th and purchased the 64GB version which I am writing this story on now, and have NEVER been happier with a tech purchase in my life! This brings me to this forum, and I am glad to be here.
    The T100TA is for me an absolute perfect device. One can say well don't you want more ram? Of course I do. Don't you want an i5 or i7 processor? Of course I do. Show me a windows hybrid with an i5 or i7 processor, 4 or more GB ram, no larger than 10.x inches, HDMI out, USB 3.0, card reader, decent keyboard and trackpad(I'll get into the trackpad in the future-in short the left click doesn't work properly and I STILL like it! ), Windows 8.1 (which is almost my favorite OS ), is completely silent, all for 379.99 + .07 tax or maybe even a little more and I'm there dude! Must be able to fully detach display for tablet use as well. I am sure you all understand what I'm saying. I am considering buying another in case something happens to this one I have a backup, or will likely purchase Asus' next iteration of this incredible, remarkable, beautiful, lil' fun PC!
    My name is Greg, and I'm an Asus Transformer-aholic.
    Mercifully, THE END! Thanks again for the forum as I have already used it and like it. Have also updated my T100 with all of the latest updates on their update site, including BIOS 307 and it just keeps getting better and better.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1594 times
    Welcome aboard.

Glad to hear the forum has been such a great help and that you are enjoying your T100

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    454 times
    Welcome Greg! How many words/minute do you type? Haha 😉

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    : ) Not many! I spent a good hour writing that. Love the forum though so wanted to give some background
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Welcome aboard.

Glad to hear the forum has been such a great help and that you are enjoying your T100

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 3.X
    Liked
    45 times
    Hello and welcome to the forum...

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    195 times

Welcome aboard.
    When all else fails click here http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    New toy ASUS T100 I'm in learning mode now?
    Tab 32 GB + Dock (mine), LG Optimus V
    ASUS MB P5Q-E (mine home brew PC), HP Desktop (wife's)
    Compaq Lappy (ours)(sitting in corner sad since I got the TF)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Ads