Thread: restoring after factory reset

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times

restoring after factory reset

1. I used my AVG Pro trial subscription to back up my apps. The back up file for some reason was created on my internal memory but I moved it to my sdcard. If I factory re-set and want to move the apps from my sd card back to internal memory, where do I put them? Do I copy and paste to a specific file in internal memory? I don't see an obvious location where I should put my apps back into internal memory.

2. Instead of using AVG Pro, does the Infinity have an automatic back up/restore function? I do have automatic back up to my Google account set up in my Settings and I can see my apps in my Google Play account, but I can't see how to transfer them back to the Infinity? Or will this happen as part of the normal sync process?

thanks for any advice!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    Hi Seth,

Welcome to the forum

Let me be so bold as to suggest you take a couple of steps back & start again.

First of all, when you get apps from the Play Store, they are linked to your Google Account & not to a specific device - therefore you can install them at any point onto any android device - my wife & I have 4 different android devices on the go at once & all of them share the same Google account so have access to any & all of the apps we have - paid for & free ones.

You reinstall apps in exactly the same way as you installed them to begin with.

Android does not have an automatic restore function in the same way as Apple do with iTunes/iCloud. Yes, Google can restore certain things for you, automatically, but essentially, you can rely on Google Play to keep a record of all your apps - but not the data contained within them. So to keep that backed up (for example progress in a game) you have to do that yourself (more on that later).

Here are my suggestions for you...
    1. To keep app data backed up (eg game progress) you use the Asus AppBackup utility in your app drawer
    2. To keep your documents, photos etc etc backup up, you can either copy them onto a microSD card, use personal cloud storage (eg NAS) or commercial cloud storage (eg Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, Skydrive), or copy them to a PC.

As far as AVG goes, well as good as it is, there are alternative & fully free malware/security apps that I would recommend ahead of that. You can read the malware FAQ linked from my signature & read all about that subject. The (independently tested & verified) best performing security app available on Android right now is called TrustGo - I cover it in the FAQ.

Also linked from my signature are many other guides & links which I think should prove helpful to you. One of them, the Master Help Guide, contains a link to a guide thread - "How to Factory Reset". I would take a read through that guide to help orientate yourself further.

I think I have covered all your points & I hope I have explained things clearly for you.

All the best & enjoy your new device.
    Last edited by janner43; 05-02-2013 at 11:52 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    So helpful....thanks!
    janner43 likes this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    25 times
    Welcome to the forum Seth. I hope that you are enjoying your tf700. Again welcome to the forum.

Chuck

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links