Thread: Howdy all!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Howdy all!!

Hi to everyone. I am a new TF300T 32GB owner. I previously had a Kindle Fire rooted and ROMed with Gede CM9 and an iPhone 4s, so I have a little knowledge of Android, but certainly not enough.

My questions to get me pointed in the right direction if you would:

1. Is there somewhere where I can read more about the apps that came default on my TF, like MyNet, MyLibrary and all those that begin with 'My' that seem to be ASUS related?
    2. Backups - I know it does a default to Google, but I saw in the settings something about auto PC backups. I haven't hooked into my PC yet, can someone expand on that or point me to the correct thread?
    3. Can I change the battery icon to percentage or something else? I can't find it in settings, and my Kindle had a whole different settings screen due to the ROM.
    4. Should I root the TF for better access to it?

Thanks, I'm sure more questions will pop in my head, but those are the ones I'd like to do some more reading on. I'm asking NO ONE to baby me and answer all those, but you can if you wish or just point me to the best area/threads to read up on while I dig thru the forums and get myself acquainted with all the areas!! Thanks again!!

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    Welcome Scottie, c'grats on the new gear.
    You'll notice various 'stickies' around the site--usually posted at the top of the various sub forums--handy for quick lookup.
    Even handier, staff signatures usually contain links to everything from troubleshooting to optimizing. The Master Help Guide is a great resource, a bookmark for sure.

The 'My' stuff that came installed...hmmm, well, I'm just one voice....but I think 'My' was short for 'May', as in 'may`need-to`replace'.
    Much of the stock stuff is fine, just lacking in features.
    Janner did a bang up job taking a look at My Library for instance.
    Tons of good info there on both the app, and ereaders in general.
    And something like QuickPic is so much friendlier than the 'Gallery' photo app that came installed.
    Ditto the Music player, it's okay, but the app store has some great ones to get more out of the tablet.
    Dual Battery Widget may be what you're looking for if you want more battery info.
    Big ol Battery Guide is hooked into The Master Help link in my signature....lotsa battery info.

I'm a back-up to micro sd card guy, don't really sync anything....can't steer you in any direction there, but I'm sure others can.
    Enjoy the boards, and your tablet.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    Howdy Scottie. My name is not No One, so I won't baby you...(it's ok if you didn't find that funny, my guess is you are not alone). Our resident eejit answered all the ones I would have known, so just wanted to say ....

welcome!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    Welcome to the forum.

Most of what you want to know/do is covered here.

Just browse the 300 forum.

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Welcome to the Forum. Glad you joined us.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks so much everyone, I will definitely dig around with the suggestions eejit gave!! Only question not addressed, how many of you rooted your Pad (besides Jeffrey, I see it in your sig)?
    New owner of a gorgeous ASUS Transformer TF300T 32GB, blue in color should you care

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    902 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiemedic View Post
    Thanks so much everyone, I will definitely dig around with the suggestions eejit gave!! Only question not addressed, how many of you rooted your Pad (besides Jeffrey, I see it in your sig)?
    I welcome you too, Scottie, and I'll take on this last question! The stock answer is don't do it unless you have a real need to. Here's my testimonial that bears this out. When I got my first smart phone, a DroidX, I decided to get rid of the bloatware that came with it, so I rooted it and uninstalled all of it! Trouble was that I really had no interest in playing with Roms, overclocking, etc. All those things that people usually root for. Well, when the OTA update to Gingerbread came along, I was too timid...and lazy, to try to unroot (remember, I had gotten rid of all the bloatware that was necessary for the update), so I was stuck with Froyo, while everyone else was enjoying Gingerbread. As soon as my contract was up, I took advantage of it by purchasing a Razr Maxx, promising myself that I wouldn't even think about rooting!
    The bottom line, if you enjoy doing all the things that rooting allows, go for it! Remember though, if voids your warranty, and if your not tech minded, you could easily "brick" your new toy!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 3.X
    Liked
    46 times
    Hello and welcome aboard Scottie!

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    25 times
    Welcome to the forum Scottie. Just to answer your question. I have not rooted my tf300. I don't want to take a chance of bricking it. Besides, I don't really do anything with that would require rooting. I mostly use it to read.

chuck

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Padfone 1
    Liked
    0 times
    Welcome to the Forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links