Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

New Transformer TF700 64 GB -- new to Tablets

After much debate, reading reviews, research, etc., I decided to bite the bullet, buy myself an early BD present and just purchased the TF700T and docking station (which may or may not be the correct one but it's a TF700/TF201 -- who knew there was a newer one, the 500, because when you do a search on the docking station for the TF700T, you get the older model. And I thought I was getting a good deal -- purchased for $117 at J&R but ...

I received my docking station today and is charging as I write; unfortunately, I wasn't home to sign for the tablet so I didn't get it yet. Fortunately, I was smart enough (or enough of a frenzied shopper) to order an extra charger because I was shocked to see the docking station didn't come with one. I ordered an "open box" transformer, 64 gigs for $449, which appears to be a good price and I'm delighted. However, when you add the docking station and the tablet, I debated back and forth between new laptop and/or tablet, and the portability won. I currently have a dying HP 17" laptop I bought the day before I left for an extended overseas trip, and while I was grateful to have it, "portable" it ain't! I think it's about 10 lbs. But I use it as an extra TV when I'm in the kitchen or whatnot and I will miss it when it finally gives up the ghost. Of course, I also have a Dell desktop which I can't imagine ever giving up although, who knows.

My first question is -- when I get the tablet, do I need to update the operating system software and if so, which one and how? Everyone seems to like "Jelly Bean" but I've also come across some references to others. Also, I know my laptop (and possibly desktop) was hit with a virus just by going to a website (which was linked to something on Pinterest - ouch) and I need to know how to protect my tablet from malware of all sorts. Any suggestions?

Also, I went to ASUS main website to register my ASUS docking station, and it appears there is no way to do so. Did I overlook something?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my new tablet and using it whenever/wherever. I started with a smartphone and made a BIG mistake with that, for which I'm still paying. Due to the phone's limitations, I went with the tablet because I am just a wanna-be-geek

I guess I've asked enough questions for now. I look forward to being a part of the Transformer Community!
    Last edited by kitzelover; 02-19-2013 at 10:33 PM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times
    The tablet should automatically notify you of an update. It will show by the clock in the lower right hand corner.

If it is NOT there, go to Settings - About - Check for update, then check the notifications again.

As far as the dock, it should still be able to be registered. I have not been on their site in a while, but you can always call tech support and ask them how and where to do it.

For A/V, if you are worried check out the AVG in the Play Store. It does a pretty good job, however viruses/malware on Android tend to be few and far between, unless you are installing battery saver and wallpaper apps.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    439 times
    To register the dock, you have to type in is as a tabet. When you select type of device. I was very confused as well, to be honest I found the registration page and process extremely painful...... but I so enjoy my device. Wellcome to the club!!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1011 times

Registering your dock

As frenzied mentioned, it looks like you should make two entries and ASUS will no doubt be able to tell the serial numbers are for a tablet or dock. Here's a screenshot of my registered devices:

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    961 times
    Welcome to the Forum. Glad you joined us.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2248 times
    And I recommend you take a tour through the signature links shown below as they will greatly assist in the learning curve.

They cover many things including malware & security on your device, updating the firmware & the best way to handle the update from ICS to Jelly Bean - and much, much more.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 3.X
    Liked
    46 times
    Hello and welcome to the forum!

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    25 times
    Welcome to the forum. I hope that you enjoy your tf700. If you have any questions be sure and ask them.

Chuck

Ads